FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict on "Falsification of Religions"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

More good 'ol Catholic Indifferentism from the Holy Father.  We sure  don't want those false religions being "falsified" now.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/p...-religion/

Benedict XVI: fundamentalism a 'falsification' of religion
By David Kerr

Pope Benedict XVI speaks during an in-flight press conference on his way to Lebanon. Credit: L'Osservatore Romano.
Pope Benedict described fundamentalism as “a falsification of religion,” which goes against its true purpose as “an invitation to share God’s peace throughout the world.”

“Therefore the commitment of the Church and of religions is to undertake a purification of such temptations, to illuminate consciences and to try and provide everyone with a clear image of God,” said Pope Benedict on Sept. 14 during an in-flight press conference on his way to Lebanon.

“We must all respect each other,” the Pope told a group of journalists at the beginning of his three-day trip, “Each of us is an image of God and we must mutually respect each other.”
Quote:“a falsification of religion,” which goes against its true purpose as “an invitation to share God’s peace throughout the world.”

When he says "it's true purpose" is the "it" he is referring to religion?

Religion's true purpose is an invitation to share God's peace throughout the world?

Oh boy.

(09-26-2012, 10:20 AM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]More good 'ol Catholic Indifferentism from the Holy Father. We sure  don't want those false religions being "falsified" now.

This is not indifferentism. The Holy Father has not denied the duty of man to worship God by believing and practicing the one true religion. Nor has he espoused the view which says that religion has no value, or very little value.

Let's look at his own words:

Quote:Father Lombardi: Thank you, Holy Father. Many Catholics are expressing concern about increasing forms of fundamentalism in various parts of the world and about attacks that claim large numbers of Christians as victims. In this difficult and often violent context, how can the Church respond to the imperative of dialogue with Islam, on which you have often insisted?

Holy Father: Fundamentalism is always a falsification of religion. It goes against the essence of religion, which seeks to reconcile and to create God’s peace throughout the world. Therefore the task of the Church and of religions is to undertake a purification – a lofty purification of religion from such temptations is always necessary. It is our task to illumine and purify consciences and to make it clear that every person is an image of God. We must respect in the other not only his otherness, but also, within that otherness, the essence we truly have in common as the image of God, and we must treat the other as an image of God. So the essential message of religion must be against violence – which is a falsification of it, like fundamentalism – and it must be the education, illumination and purification of consciences so as to make them capable of dialogue, reconciliation and peace.

http://www.zenit.org/article-35531?l=english

Can't see anything wrong here.
(09-26-2012, 10:36 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:“a falsification of religion,” which goes against its true purpose as “an invitation to share God’s peace throughout the world.”

When he says "it's true purpose" is the "it" he is referring to religion?

Religion's true purpose is an invitation to share God's peace throughout the world?

Oh boy.
Oh boy what?
Much ado about nothing.

Many people here are just looking to taint the Holy Father for what he has not said.
Better to pray than to insinuate.

(09-26-2012, 11:48 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 10:20 AM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]More good 'ol Catholic Indifferentism from the Holy Father. We sure  don't want those false religions being "falsified" now.

This is not indifferentism. The Holy Father has not denied the duty of man to worship God by believing and practicing the one true religion. Nor has he espoused the view which says that religion has no value, or very little value.

He's not denied it because there is no indication that he would even admit that there is one true religion. 

Quote: Let's look at his own words:

Quote:Father Lombardi: Thank you, Holy Father. Many Catholics are expressing concern about increasing forms of fundamentalism in various parts of the world and about attacks that claim large numbers of Christians as victims. In this difficult and often violent context, how can the Church respond to the imperative of dialogue with Islam, on which you have often insisted?

Holy Father: Fundamentalism is always a falsification of religion.

"Fundamentalist" Catholicism is not to be lumped in with "Fundamentalism" of any false religion.  The Holy Father doesn't make that distinction.

Quote:  It goes against the essence of religion, which seeks to reconcile and to create God’s peace throughout the world. Therefore the task of the Church and of religions is to undertake a purification – a lofty purification of religion from such temptations is always necessary.

The "essence" of religion?  As if there is an "essence" that sits above "religion" true or false and is included in all religions.  Notice the Holy Father uses the plural of "religions" in which both the Church and the false religions are in need of a "purification."  So much for the spotless Bride of Christ.

Quote: It is our task to illumine and purify consciences and to make it clear that every person is an image of God. We must respect in the other not only his otherness, but also, within that otherness, the essence we truly have in common as the image of God, and we must treat the other as an image of God.

Oh how lovely!  We need to enlighten ignorant people and change their thinking.  Because when we teach them to love humanity with God as a convenient backdrop we will all get along.  The problem is, they just don't understand.  This is verbose, naive Western liberalism at its worst.

Quote: So the essential message of religion must be against violence – which is a falsification of it, like fundamentalism – and it must be the education, illumination and purification of consciences so as to make them capable of dialogue, reconciliation and peace.

The essential message of religion true or false must not be the redemption won by Christ on the Cross for the sins of Man and the offer of salvation through the one, true Church.  I guess that's "fundamentalism." 

The message of any religion must be non-violence at all costs and once we expunge their beliefs from their consciences and force them to love us, they will then be able to talk to us and we'll hug and kiss and there will be everlasting peace.

Quote: Can't see anything wrong here.

There's plenty that's wrong and the "essence" of Catholicism is missing. 

A Freemason would be ecstatic to make a useless and anti-Catholic in its essence speech like that. 
I'm sure Pope Michael would never make such scandalous remarks.  And I'm sure he could use another follower.  Q.E.D.
(09-26-2012, 12:17 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure Pope Michael would never make such scandalous remarks.  And I'm sure he could use another follower.  Q.E.D.

Just because he doesn't rewrite the faith, doesn't mean he's the Pope. 
(09-26-2012, 12:20 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 12:17 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure Pope Michael would never make such scandalous remarks.  And I'm sure he could use another follower.  Q.E.D.

So the guy that does rewrite the faith is the Pope?  Huh. 
(09-26-2012, 12:30 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]

Has the Catholic Church always taught that religions and the Church are essentially the same? 

Is the Pope saying that or not albeit in a more flowery way? 
(09-26-2012, 12:46 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2012, 12:30 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]

Has the Catholic Church always taught that religions and the Church are essentially the same? 

Is the Pope saying that or not albeit in a more flowery way? 

No, I understand what you're saying.  What I don't understand is why you don't have the intellectual honesty to declare the Pope is not the Pope and the Church he claims to lead is an apostate Church. 

I suspect it's a lot more fun to be a prot.  Just accept Jesus and you get a free ride to do whatever you want for the rest of your life.  Or an atheist doesn't even have to bother with Jesus.  Same result. I think your blood pressure would be a lot lower if you didn't have to spend so much time complaining about the Pope. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6