FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The top 10 breakfast cereals most likely to contain Monsanto's GMO corn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is rather disturbing. Things that give lab rodents cancerous tumors can't be good for humans either.

:comp:

http://www.naturalnews.com/037315_Monsan...reals.html

naturalnews.com printable article
Originally published September 25 2012
The top 10 breakfast cereals most likely to contain Monsanto's GMO corn
by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, NaturalNews Editor

(NaturalNews) By now, nearly everyone interested in healthy living is aware of the recent research linking Monsanto's GMO corn to cancer tumors and an increase risk of premature death in both men and women. News of the research is spreading like wildfire across the 'net, and support for Proposition 37 -- which seeks to label GMOs in foods -- is growing by the day.

But the media has not yet reported on the everyday foods being sold in grocery stores right now and made with Monsanto's genetically modified corn (GM corn). Which foods are most likely to contain Monsanto GM corn? To answer this question, I visited a local grocery store in Austin, Texas and purchased 10 breakfast cereals made with high levels of non-organic corn.

According to the Center for Food Safety, up to 85% of the corn grown in the United States is genetically modified. This means corn-based cereals that use non-organic corn have a very high likelihood of containing GM corn.

The following list presents the top 10 popular breakfast cereals most likely to contain Monsanto's genetically modified corn. For the record, none of these cereals claim to be GMO-free, nor made with organic corn. The exact GMO content of these cereals remains a mystery precisely because manufacturers of these cereals refuse to label them with their GMO content. This lack of full disclosure by the food industry underscores the urgent need for a labeling law so that consumers can make an informed decision.

Legal note: In no way are we claiming these cereals will cause cancer tumors to grow in your body or that they pose an immediate risk to your health. Those studies have not yet been done on humans. GM corn is an experimental crop with unknown long-term effects of humans. Breakfast cereals made with GM corn may turn out to pose a significant long-term risk to human health, but that has not yet been determined. This article is presented in the public interest, reflecting reasonable caution over a common food ingredient which French scientists have now convincingly linked to cancer and premature death in studies conducted on rats.

The top 10 popular breakfast cereals most likely to contain Monsanto's GM corn
Cocoa Puffs and Corn Chex

Frosted Flakes and Honey Graham Oh's

Honey Nut Chex and Kashi Heart to Heart

Kellogg's Corn Flakes and Kellogg's Corn Pops

Kix and Barbara's Bakery Puffins Peanut Butter

Which cereals contain no GMOs? Nature's Path
There is only one brand of breakfast cereal I know of that's 100% non-GMO and 100% organic across their entire product line. That company is Nature's Path:

If you buy breakfast cereal, and you don't want to eat Monsanto's GM corn, always choose cereals from Nature's Path. This is my No. 1 most highly trusted cereal company.

Many "natural" brands that appear to be healthful and natural are actually not organic or GMO-free. For example, "Barbara's Bakery" cereals are not organic. Although they are positioned in store shelves alongside other organic cereals, they are actually made with conventional crops grown with pesticides which may include Monsanto's Roundup.

You may also notice that most of the cereals most likely to contain GM corn are children's cereals. It is the children in America who are being fed the most GMOs. This represents a highly unethical food experiment being conducted on an entire generation, and the long-term effects of human consumption of GMOs are simply not known.

What we do know is that rats fed this very same Monsanto GM corn developed shockingly large cancer tumors.

The photo released by the French research team, showing large cancer tumors growing at a strongly heightened risk in rats fed a "lifetime" of Monsanto's GM corn, is shown below. According to that study, 70% of females died premature and showed significant damage to their liver, kidneys and other organs.

Pretty crazy, huh?

Well...I already eat Nature's Path.  Not because I'm particularly afraid of GMOs, but because those other cereals are gross.
Thanks, I agree...

(09-26-2012, 12:03 PM)Zedta Wrote: [ -> ]This is rather disturbing. Things that give lab rodents cancerous tumors can't be good for humans either.

:comp:

http://www.naturalnews.com/037315_Monsan...reals.html

naturalnews.com printable article
Originally published September 25 2012
The top 10 breakfast cereals most likely to contain Monsanto's GMO corn
by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, NaturalNews Editor

(NaturalNews) By now, nearly everyone interested in healthy living is aware of the recent research linking Monsanto's GMO corn to cancer tumors and an increase risk of premature death in both men and women. News of the research is spreading like wildfire across the 'net, and support for Proposition 37 -- which seeks to label GMOs in foods -- is growing by the day.

But the media has not yet reported on the everyday foods being sold in grocery stores right now and made with Monsanto's genetically modified corn (GM corn). Which foods are most likely to contain Monsanto GM corn? To answer this question, I visited a local grocery store in Austin, Texas and purchased 10 breakfast cereals made with high levels of non-organic corn.

According to the Center for Food Safety, up to 85% of the corn grown in the United States is genetically modified. This means corn-based cereals that use non-organic corn have a very high likelihood of containing GM corn.

The following list presents the top 10 popular breakfast cereals most likely to contain Monsanto's genetically modified corn. For the record, none of these cereals claim to be GMO-free, nor made with organic corn. The exact GMO content of these cereals remains a mystery precisely because manufacturers of these cereals refuse to label them with their GMO content. This lack of full disclosure by the food industry underscores the urgent need for a labeling law so that consumers can make an informed decision.

Legal note: In no way are we claiming these cereals will cause cancer tumors to grow in your body or that they pose an immediate risk to your health. Those studies have not yet been done on humans. GM corn is an experimental crop with unknown long-term effects of humans. Breakfast cereals made with GM corn may turn out to pose a significant long-term risk to human health, but that has not yet been determined. This article is presented in the public interest, reflecting reasonable caution over a common food ingredient which French scientists have now convincingly linked to cancer and premature death in studies conducted on rats.

The top 10 popular breakfast cereals most likely to contain Monsanto's GM corn
Cocoa Puffs and Corn Chex

Frosted Flakes and Honey Graham Oh's

Honey Nut Chex and Kashi Heart to Heart

Kellogg's Corn Flakes and Kellogg's Corn Pops

Kix and Barbara's Bakery Puffins Peanut Butter

Which cereals contain no GMOs? Nature's Path
There is only one brand of breakfast cereal I know of that's 100% non-GMO and 100% organic across their entire product line. That company is Nature's Path:

If you buy breakfast cereal, and you don't want to eat Monsanto's GM corn, always choose cereals from Nature's Path. This is my No. 1 most highly trusted cereal company.

Many "natural" brands that appear to be healthful and natural are actually not organic or GMO-free. For example, "Barbara's Bakery" cereals are not organic. Although they are positioned in store shelves alongside other organic cereals, they are actually made with conventional crops grown with pesticides which may include Monsanto's Roundup.

You may also notice that most of the cereals most likely to contain GM corn are children's cereals. It is the children in America who are being fed the most GMOs. This represents a highly unethical food experiment being conducted on an entire generation, and the long-term effects of human consumption of GMOs are simply not known.

What we do know is that rats fed this very same Monsanto GM corn developed shockingly large cancer tumors.

The photo released by the French research team, showing large cancer tumors growing at a strongly heightened risk in rats fed a "lifetime" of Monsanto's GM corn, is shown below. According to that study, 70% of females died premature and showed significant damage to their liver, kidneys and other organs.

Pretty crazy, huh?
Colon Blow.

[Image: tumblr_m8fck2Q8yQ1rrf5v9.jpg]
I'm glad that now that Hab_Rit is gone there's someone who has picked up the baton to warn us not to eat anything bought in a grocery store.  :grin:

I kid.  Didn't they determine that saccharine caused cancer, but only if you ingested 10,000 times the amount any normal human being would in a year?
Alas, for my family, with three celiacs, we do purchase Corn Chex. Not so much because it is tasty, but because our choices with breakfast cereal are necessarily limited to those without wheat, barley or rye.. I would definitely prefer avoiding genetically modified products. I suppose we'll need to buy more Enviro-kids stuff instead of the chex.
I hate corn cereals. Special K, Rice Krispies, or original Shredded Wheat, for me.  :)
(09-26-2012, 12:03 PM)Zedta Wrote: [ -> ]This is rather disturbing. Things that give lab rodents cancerous tumors can't be good for humans either.

No, that is not necessarily so.

For example. avocados can kill horses, birds, and most animals, yet, humans can eat them without care.

This article is full of flaws and reads like a commercial for that one brand of cereal.

The study must, to be at all worth considering, disclose the exact conditions of the rats. What would the equivalent be for a human? Conversely, how would humans react to a normal rat diet?
(09-27-2012, 06:45 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]I hate corn cereals. Special K, Rice Krispies, or original Shredded Wheat, for me.  :)

Grits are good.
(09-27-2012, 09:14 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2012, 06:45 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]I hate corn cereals. Special K, Rice Krispies, or original Shredded Wheat, for me.  :)

Grits are good.

On this point, Rosarium, I agree with you, but not so much on the prior post (I did not quote). It would appear that you didn't dig further grasshopper. If you had read the link in the article (to the article on the study itself) or read the abstract of the article that was presented for peer review, you would not have had such an embarrassingly simplistic response to it.

The problems arise from the fact that this type of seed has trace amounts of Roundup in it as well as the genetically modified corn. It was fed to rats because they have an immune system and physiology that is very similar to humans, and they don't live very long so the 'long-term' effects are seen sooner. They are the animals that give us strong indications to search deeper into the problem.

Here is the referenced article and the link to the abstract. This stuff has NOT been thoroughly tested beforehand and that is what is so chilling. They just put it out there as 'food' and it doesn't need any further scrutiny...ya right...like Canola oil too (adequate as crankcase oil, but not so good to eat):

Shock findings in new GMO study: Rats fed lifetime of GM corn grow horrifying tumors, 70% of females die early

Wednesday, September 19, 2012
by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger
Editor of NaturalNews.com

(NaturalNews) Eating genetically modified corn (GM corn) and consuming trace levels of Monsanto's Roundup chemical fertilizer caused rats to develop horrifying tumors, widespread organ damage, and premature death. That's the conclusion of a shocking new study that looked at the long-term effects of consuming Monsanto's genetically modified corn.

The study has been deemed "the most thorough research ever published into the health effects of GM food crops and the herbicide Roundup on rats." News of the horrifying findings is spreading like wildfire across the internet, with even the mainstream media seemingly in shock over the photos of rats with multiple grotesque tumors... tumors so large the rats even had difficulty breathing in some cases. GMOs may be the new thalidomide.

"Monsanto Roundup weedkiller and GM maize implicated in 'shocking' new cancer study" wrote The Grocery, a popular UK publication. (http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/topics/techno...in/monsant...)

It reported, "Scientists found that rats exposed to even the smallest amounts, developed mammary tumors and severe liver and kidney damage as early as four months in males, and seven months for females."

The Daily Mail reported, "Fresh row over GM foods as French study claims rats fed the controversial crops suffered tumors." (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...h-fears-GM...)

It goes on to say: "The animals on the GM diet suffered mammary tumors, as well as severe liver and kidney damage. The researchers said 50 percent of males and 70 percent of females died prematurely, compared with only 30 percent and 20 percent in the control group."

The study, led by Gilles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caen, was the first ever study to examine the long-term (lifetime) effects of eating GMOs. You may find yourself thinking it is absolutely astonishing that no such studies were ever conducted before GM corn was approved for widespread use by the USDA and FDA, but such is the power of corporate lobbying and corporate greed.

The study was published in The Food & Chemical Toxicology Journal and was just presented at a news conference in London.

Findings from the study
Here are some of the shocking findings from the study:

• Up to 50% of males and 70% of females suffered premature death.

• Rats that drank trace amounts of Roundup (at levels legally allowed in the water supply) had a 200% to 300% increase in large tumors.

• Rats fed GM corn and traces of Roundup suffered severe organ damage including liver damage and kidney damage.

• The study fed these rats NK603, the Monsanto variety of GM corn that's grown across North America and widely fed to animals and humans. This is the same corn that's in your corn-based breakfast cereal, corn tortillas and corn snack chips.

The Daily Mail is reporting on some of the reaction to the findings:

France's Jose Bove, vice-chairman of the European Parliament's commission for agriculture and known as a fierce opponent of GM, called for an immediate suspension of all EU cultivation and import authorisations of GM crops. 'This study finally shows we are right and that it is urgent to quickly review all GMO evaluation processes,' he said in a statement. 'National and European food security agencies must carry out new studies financed by public funding to guarantee healthy food for European consumers.' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...h-fears-GM...)

Read the study abstract
The study is entitled, "A Comparison of the Effects of Three GM Corn Varieties on Mammalian Health." Read the abstract here:
http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm

That abstract include this text. Note: "hepatorenal toxicity" means toxic to the liver.

Our analysis clearly reveals for the 3 GMOs new side effects linked with GM maize consumption, which were sex- and often dose-dependent. Effects were mostly associated with the kidney and liver, the dietary detoxifying organs, although different between the 3 GMOs. Other effects were also noticed in the heart, adrenal glands, spleen and haematopoietic system. We conclude that these data highlight signs of hepatorenal toxicity, possibly due to the new pesticides specific to each GM corn. In addition, unintended direct or indirect metabolic consequences of the genetic modification cannot be excluded.

Here are some quotes from the researchers:

"This research shows an extraordinary number of tumors developing earlier and more aggressively - particularly in female animals. I am shocked by the extreme negative health impacts." - Dr Michael Antoniou, molecular biologist, King's College London.

"We can expect that the consumption of GM maize and the herbicide Roundup, impacts seriously on human health." - Dr Antoniou.

"This is the first time that a long-term animal feeding trial has examined the impact of feeding GM corn or the herbicide Roundup, or a combination of both and the results are extremely serious. In the male rats, there was liver and kidney disorders, including tumors and even more worryingly, in the female rats, there were mammary tumors at a level which is extremely concerning; up to 80 percent of the female rats had mammary tumors by the end of the trial." - Patrick Holden, Director, Sustainable Food Trust.

Spread the word: GMOs are toxic!

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GMO_st...z27ldoHWQB
Pages: 1 2 3