FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: OL Kibeho? Really?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone familiar with these apparitions? They took place in Rwanda just prior to the genocide. And they're approved by the local bishop. I began reading this book.

Our Lady of Kibeho. Mary Speaks to the World From the Heart of Africa.

Thirteen years before the bloody 1994 genocide that swept across Rwanda and left more than a million people dead, the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ appeared to eight young people in the remote village of Kibeho. Through these visionaries, Mary and Jesus warned of the looming holocaust, which they assured could be averted if Rwandans opened their hearts to God and embraced His love.
Much like what happened at similar sites such as Fátima and Lourdes, the messengers of Kibeho were at first mocked and disbelieved. But as miracle after miracle occurred in the tiny village, tens of thousands of Rwandans journeyed to Kibeho to behold the apparitions. For years, countless onlookers watched as the Mother and Son of God spoke through the eight seers about God’s love, sending messages that they insisted were meant not only for Rwandans, but for the entire world, to hear.

I read to about page 66, I found that the Blessed (?) Virgin (?) Mary (?) said:

Our Lady has never told me that people should convert from their religions, but she loves us so much that she begs us to convert our hearts and love to our Father--that's what she means by 'conversions.' She says the best way to achieve this is by praying the rosary, which isn't only for Catholics. It's a tool anyone can use to talk to God..."

I had to stop reading the book. Did the local bishop really approve that? Does anyone have further information on this apparition?
I'm not sure about that passage and it looks like kind of a qualified "approval" and well it's complicated: http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/OLKIBEHO.HTM

C.
(09-30-2012, 07:59 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]Our Lady has never told me that people should convert from their religions, but she loves us so much that she begs us to convert our hearts and love to our Father--that's what she means by 'conversions.' She says the best way to achieve this is by praying the rosary, which isn't only for Catholics. It's a tool anyone can use to talk to God..."

I had to stop reading the book. Did the local bishop really approve that? Does anyone have further information on this apparition?

This is not necessarily in error. Consider the setting. If true, it is saying that changing formal membership and identification is not what is desired, but a conversion of the soul to God...which implicitly includes the sacramental realities.

Now, the apparition may be true or not (I've briefly heard about it), but any accounts of it may have errors or misrepresentations.
Just a detail, regardless of the credibility of the apparitions: just because Our Lady has never said that people should convert from their religions does not mean that Our Lady said that people should not convert from their religions. These are two very very different things altogether. The first can be quite innocent.

I remember that when these events were happenning I read an account where an official from the Vatican went to investigate. He reported that he saw the children speaking to "something" that he could not see in the air. Towards the end they asked for a blessing. Then apparently in answer to a question they said that they would like the blessing to be in the form of rain. Immediately afterwards, a light shower ffell on the people that apparently had an apex from hte direction from where the children were speaking.   
(10-01-2012, 12:13 PM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]I remember that when these events were happenning I read an account where an official from the Vatican went to investigate. He reported that he saw the children speaking to "something" that he could not see in the air. Towards the end they asked for a blessing. Then apparently in answer to a question they said that they would like the blessing to be in the form of rain. Immediately afterwards, a light shower ffell on the people that apparently had an apex from hte direction from where the children were speaking.   
Beware of these phenomena, as Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light.
(09-30-2012, 08:32 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-30-2012, 07:59 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]Our Lady has never told me that people should convert from their religions, but she loves us so much that she begs us to convert our hearts and love to our Father--that's what she means by 'conversions.' She says the best way to achieve this is by praying the rosary, which isn't only for Catholics. It's a tool anyone can use to talk to God..."

This is not necessarily in error. Consider the setting. If true, it is saying that changing formal membership and identification is not what is desired, but a conversion of the soul to God...which implicitly includes the sacramental realities.

Now, the apparition may be true or not (I've briefly heard about it), but any accounts of it may have errors or misrepresentations.

Well you must admit it appears on the surface to be a long, long way from her messages to St. Dominic regarding the Albigensian heresy. She really wanted them converted. If the book is true, its confusing me and I don't like it.