FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Relic Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Church I attend is blessed to be allowed to be the steward of a St. Padre Pio Relic.  It is a blood stained linen keep in a special frame and secured to a wall.

Questions:

1.  Is the bloody linen a "first degree" relic?

2.  If I touch a prayer card to the frame is the prayer card now a "third degree" relic?

Thanks for helping me understand this.
(10-02-2012, 06:25 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]The Church I attend is blessed to be allowed to be the steward of a St. Padre Pio Relic.  It is a blood stained linen keep in a special frame and secured to a wall.

Questions:

1.  Is the bloody linen a "first degree" relic?

2.  If I touch a prayer card to the frame is the prayer card now a "third degree" relic?

Thanks for helping me understand this.

I don't know much about relics, but I think that the answer to your first question is yes, and the answer to your second question is that you would need to touch the prayer card to the actual linen, not just the frame.
An interesting question. Normally a first class relic is a portion of the Saint's body, a second class relic is a piece of clothing worn or an object used by the Saint and a third class one is an object touched to a first class relic. Blood is, in a sense, part of the body, so it might be first class or, as an object worn (I assume as bandage on the stigmata) by Padre Pio, it might be second class.

To the second question, I agree with Mith. I think the holy card would need to be touched directly to the linen.
(10-02-2012, 06:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]An interesting question. Normally a first class relic is a portion of the Saint's body, a second class relic is a piece of clothing worn or an object used by the Saint

This threw me off also.  I would think the blood is a body part and therefor First Class. The linen was used as a bandage for his stigmata, so the linen should be Second Class.

I would think the blood and linen together form one single relic, since the two cannot be reasonably separated.  Since the single combined relic has a "body part" (blood) it should be altogether First Class.

Am I on track here?
(10-02-2012, 07:40 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2012, 06:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]An interesting question. Normally a first class relic is a portion of the Saint's body, a second class relic is a piece of clothing worn or an object used by the Saint

This threw me off also.  I would think the blood is a body part and therefor First Class. The linen was used as a bandage for his stigmata, so the linen should be Second Class.

I would think the blood and linen together form one single relic, since the two cannot be reasonably separated.  Since the single combined relic has a "body part" (blood) it should be altogether First Class.

Am I on track here?

I would think you are.
I do not believe it needs to be touched to the linen.  When we use relics that are enclosed Ina reliquary it isn't a necessity to touch it to the bone.  Since its blood it makes sense for it to be first class relic. 

Relics, relics everywhere!  Just make sure to have the intention of making it a third class relic when you're touching it to the first class relic and you should be fine. 
(10-02-2012, 08:48 PM)Josué Wrote: [ -> ]I do not believe it needs to be touched to the linen.  When we use relics that are enclosed Ina reliquary it isn't a necessity to touch it to the bone.  Since its blood it makes sense for it to be first class relic. 

Relics, relics everywhere!  Just make sure to have the intention of making it a third class relic when you're touching it to the first class relic and you should be fine. 

That was indeed my intent when I touched the prayer card to the frame.  I have been known to slip people cards / medals (I have yet to venture into Green Scapular territory).  I will now be touching all of my secret giveaways to this frame.
The blood on the linen is the first class relic. In order to become a 3rd class relic the card would have to touch the blood on the linen to become a 3rd class relic. 
(10-02-2012, 10:28 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2012, 08:48 PM)Josué Wrote: [ -> ]I do not believe it needs to be touched to the linen.  When we use relics that are enclosed Ina reliquary it isn't a necessity to touch it to the bone.  Since its blood it makes sense for it to be first class relic. 

That was indeed my intent when I touched the prayer card to the frame.  I have been known to slip people cards / medals (I have yet to venture into Green Scapular territory).  I will now be touching all of my secret giveaways to this frame.

It would seem to me that the frame itself is a third class relic. Touching something to it would have no effect.
(10-02-2012, 10:28 PM)Adam_Michael Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes.  The goal is to make the object as revolting as possible to the Enemy.  I read somewhere that blessed objects basically smell like rotting garbage to them. 
Pages: 1 2