FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Syon Abbey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Supposedly ordained in Wichita? Very interesting. i am quite familiar with said diocese and would be interested in finding out a bit more about this fellow. What is the status of the abbey? Are they closed??
(10-27-2012, 04:35 PM)deus_lo_vult Wrote: [ -> ]Supposedly ordained in Wichita? Very interesting. i am quite familiar with said diocese and would be interested in finding out a bit more about this fellow. What is the status of the abbey? Are they closed??

We are having a hard time with the research.  Do you have such a relationship that you'd be able to check?  So far all of our combined calls have not yielded anything.  We have now recieved two stories from other people that have been at the "abbey" and left - one that he was ordained by Bishop Kenny Carrol, and then by Bishop Pursley.

The status of the "abbey" is that they are "open" or at least for the Mass they allow people to attend on Sundays - kind of an invitation only thing.  Claims of having been canonically established are impossible, since the same Diocese, Covington,  denies it and states that he had his faculties removed in 1966.  According to Canon Law, it would have had to have the Pope's permission as well, and that even Nugent has never claimed to have. So, its not an "Abbey" at all.  And its starting to look like Nugent is not a Priest, which is actually consoling because it means that Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament would not be in the hands of this man...

I'm afraid I'm in no position to do any inquiry. I can provide contact information for some Wichita curial members, and leave you to do the calling. If your interested in this send me a pm. I would be interested in knowing who you talked to within the diocese.
(10-29-2012, 11:28 AM)deus_lo_vult Wrote: [ -> ]I'm afraid I'm in no position to do any inquiry. I can provide contact information for some Wichita curial members, and leave you to do the calling. If your interested in this send me a pm. I would be interested in knowing who you talked to within the diocese.

Thanks for your offer, but I have the numbers to the Bishop's office.  As far as who I've talked to, I would have to search through my copius notes, and I really can't stop the research now to do that.

If anyone can shed some light on this person, we would be very grateful, as we are concerned about protecting some very innocent people. 
Unsure Okay, I don't have anyone who would be a for sure lead on this matter. I can try to drop his name if I encounter any of the elder priests within the Wichita diocese, but I know not when that might be. I would be interested in learning who you spoke with in the diocese if you happen to come across that at some time. Additionally any idea of where he would have gone to seminary? I have means of checking who went were in a couple of places.
He went to four different seminaries, according to one transcript, which has some contradictory information on it.  As a matter of fact - it appears he went to 8 different schools in so many years. 
There is a Francis E. Nugent listed on bishop accountability as having been accused of sex abuse in Boston. It does not say whether there was a conviction, and I have no idea if it is the same one you are discussing.
http://www.bishop-accountability.org/ma_...lerics.htm

c.
I can't tell if that is the same priest from what is on that website.

I have found some more information.  The good news is that he was ordained.  The not so good news is that he lost faculties for all three dioceses that he was in.  Here's the brief history:

April 1957 Ordained
June 1959 Incardinated from Wichita to Fort Wayne.  He automatically lost faculties with Wichita because of incardination.
Early 1960's Loaned to Covington.  Was given faculties there, which were removed in 1966
Sometime 1960's Lost faculties in Fort Wayne.  Fort Wayne has said they will get back with us about the date.

So, he had already lost faculties to preach, publish, hear confessions, etc, in the 60's, before VCII was implemented or the Novus Ordo Missae in use.

We are doing our very best to find out the truth, and we want to provide information so that other Catholics will be protected.  We will give an update if we find out any more information.
The Diocease of Richmond has provided this document from Bishop Darcy, formerly Bishop of Fort Wayne Indiana, the diocease that Nugent was under.

[Image: jtup82.jpg]

Sorry to all - I have tried loading this in real size.  Will repost image larger when computer cooperates.
Could you please provide us with a larger format of that letter from Richmond.

I can barely see it.
Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3