FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Legal Marijuana?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
i don't have a link but I have a question. What is the traditional Catholic view towards legal marijuana? Is it morally acceptable if it is legal? Is it morally acceptable only if it's for legitimate medical purposes? Or is the federal government right in insisting that marijuana should remain illegal no matter what? I would like to hear what different peoples' ideas are and also based on what part of the country they live in?      
??? ??? ??? ???
Getting high because a certain substance happens to be legal for possession and use in the eyes of civil authorities is no more morally acceptable than getting drunk because a certain alcoholic drink happens to also be legal in the government's eyes.

To the best of my knowledge, intoxication is a sin, regardless of the particular means one chooses. As for medicinal reasons, I suspect this might be acceptable from a Traditional Catholic perspective, since intoxication from something being taken for medicinal reasons is an unwanted side-effect that is simply being endured in order to obtain the primary, medicinal benefits of the substance in question.

Perhaps someone can cite specific Church teachings to help clarify, but the above is how I've always approached the matter, knowing full well the ancient Scriptural injunctions against deliberate intoxication as well as traditional condemnations of such throughout Christian history.

For what it's worth, I was born and raised in NJ and have lived in WI for the past six years.
Read what Chesterton has to say.

http://www.fisheaters.com/onamericanmorals.html

If it were legal, and you used it in moderation (so that you weren't affected to the point that you lost the ability to know right from wrong or control your actions etc.), then I don't see how it could be a sin.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see the attraction. But I don't see why it should always be a sin when drinking and smoking tobacco aren't.
(10-09-2012, 03:59 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]i don't have a link but I have a question. What is the traditional Catholic view towards legal marijuana? Is it morally acceptable if it is legal? Is it morally acceptable only if it's for legitimate medical purposes? Or is the federal government right in insisting that marijuana should remain illegal no matter what? I would like to hear what different peoples' ideas are and also based on what part of the country they live in?      
??? ??? ??? ???

I Live in the inland empire in California, there are 3 pot dispensaries within a few minutes of my house.  From conversations with others it appears that the process of getting a medical marijuana card is not very rigorous.  To my knowledge the use of any thing that removes the use of reason like getting drunk or high is gravefully sinful (obviously excluding things like being knocked out for a medical procedure or something like that)

I think St Thomas Aquinas outlines how we should just most human walls very well.

Human law is framed for a number of human beings, the majority of whom are not perfect in virtue. Wherefore human laws do not forbid vices from which the virtuous abstain, but
only the more grievous vices, from which it is possible for the majority to abstain, and chiefly those which are to the hurt of others, without the prohibition of which a human society could not
be maintained: thus human law prohibits murder, theft, and suchlike.” (S.T. I-II, p.96, a. 2)
Oh here we go again.  :LOL:
:pipe:
(10-09-2012, 08:06 AM)Martinus Wrote: [ -> ]If it were legal, and you used it in moderation (so that you weren't affected to the point that you lost the ability to know right from wrong or control your actions etc.), then I don't see how it could be a sin.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see the attraction. But I don't see why it should always be a sin when drinking and smoking tobacco aren't.

Drinking and smoking can be done without getting intoxicated. Drinking is used for celebration, or to help appetite before a nice meal. It can compliment a meal, or is very much a part of it. Taking a hit off a bong with the weed that is going around these days will get you stoned. The entire purpose is to get stoned. Even if it became legal, I cannot imagine socially smoking marijuana ever coming into existence. A nice glass of wine or beer among friends is one thing. Taking a hit together and passing the pipe while people hold it in and start ragging is never going to make it into polite society.

Whether it should be made legal to take the criminal enterprise out of the equation is another question. I don't see it happening for that reason alone. Too much tax free money is being made by top people in banks and government and organized crime. OK, I realize I am being redundant here by throwing in organized crime as a separate entity.

The biggest reason it will never be legalized is that you can easily grow your own. A hobbyist who likes to get stoned once in awhile could easily be growing top quality weed within months in a legal reality. That means no taxation or other forms of control. We are at the point where the growing of tomatoes may be in jeopardy by our government masters. You really think they are going to allow for that kind of personal autonomy? It will never happen. Because that fact alone would destroy the liquor and the tobacco industry overnight.

If, and this is a big if, legalization happened, it's market would have to be carved up before. No way they are going to allow some upstart to become big in the business. The tobacco companies would want to be in it, as would the liquor industry. Because they would both suffer market share. I could see joint ventures here, no pun intended. And the government hitting Big Tobacco and Big Liquor with new penalties to fund government just like they did with the Tobacco Settlement about 10 years ago. So they would gain on one end and being penalized on the other.

But again, I think they like it just fine the way it is currently set-up.

Here's th problem. To not get jogh u have to smoke crappy green. Who wannts that?
(10-09-2012, 12:31 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Here's th problem. To not get jogh u have to smoke crappy green. Who wannts that?

You'd be surprised. For some, that's the only dro they can afford.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9