FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict XVI names first Native American saint and 6 others
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I didn't see this posted here...

Pope Benedict XVI names first Native American saint and 6 others

http://blogs.pjstar.com/eye/2012/10/22/p...-6-others/

Sunday marked a special day for Catholics all over the world as Pope Benedict XVI canonized 7 new saints, including 2 Americans – a 17th-century Native American Kateri Tekakwitha and a 19th century Franciscan nun who lived and worked in Hawaii.

More information on Sunday’s ceremonies: Pope names 7 new saints, seeks to revive faith

[Image: saints001.jpg]

Pope Benedict XVI delivers his blessing as he leaves at the end of a canonization ceremony he celebrated in St. Peter’s Square, at the Vatican, Sunday, Oct. 21, 2012. The pontiff canonized seven people, Kateri Tekakwitha, Maria del Carmen, Pedro Calungsod, Jacques Berthieu, Giovanni Battista Piamarta, Mother Marianne Cope, and Anna Shaeffer. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)

[Image: saints002.jpg]

The tapestry of Kateri Tekakwitha, the first American Indian to achieve sainthood, hangs from St. Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican as Pope Benedict XVI celebrates a canonization ceremony, Sunday, Oct. 21, 2012. Tekakwitha, a 17th-century Mohawk Indian who spent most of her life in what is now upstate New York, was declared a saint by the pontiff along with six others during the ceremony. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)

[Image: saints026.jpg]

The Rev. Brian Graebe places flowers on a statue of Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Sunday, Oct. 21, 2012, at Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Roman Catholic Church in Lagrangeville, N.Y. Pope Benedict XVI canonized seven people, Kateri Tekakwitha, Maria del Carmen, Pedro Calungsod, Jacques Berthieu, Giovanni Battista Piamarta, Mother Marianne Cope, and Anna Shaeffer. (AP Photo/Poughkeepsie Journal, Karl Rabe)

[Image: saints015.jpg]
Native Americans wait for the start of a canonization ceremony celebrated by Pope Benedict XVI, in St. Peter’s Square, at the Vatican, Sunday, Oct. 21, 2012. The pontiff will canonize seven people, Kateri Tekakwitha, the first Native American saint from the U.S., Maria del Carmen, Pedro Calungsod, Jacques Berthieu, Giovanni Battista Piamarta, Mother Marianne Cope, and Anna Shaeffer. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)
So does this make Kateri Tekakwitha the first saint born in the United States?
(10-23-2012, 02:22 AM)Carthusian Wrote: [ -> ]So does this make Kateri Tekakwitha the first saint born in the United States?

The United States didn't exist yet when she was born.  St. Juan Diego would be the first born in North America, I believe.  She could be said to be the first born in what would become United States territory, though.
Thank God for saints.

And pray for missions.  :pray:
To be even more specific, she's a Mohawk saint  and was called the Protectress of Canada, because there are both Mohawk in the US and Canada.  I don't think it's worth an argument to distinguish whether she's Canadian or American. She's a native,  a Mohawk, most importantly she is a Saint before God constantly interfering for the whole world.
(10-23-2012, 01:49 PM)LoyalVIews Wrote: [ -> ]interfering for the whole world.

Interceding?
Just a little FYI: I have an old gradeschool textbook called "This is Our Town" from the Faith & Freedom Series. Original copyright 1942. This book was used in Catholic classrooms in the 40s, 50 and part of the 60s. I still have mine. There's a chapter near the end called "The Brave Little Indian Girl" and it's about none other than Katiri Tekakwitha. She wasn't even considered a blessed or venerable when this book was first published. I remembered her from so many decades ago. It was nice to see her being canonized this past Sunday.

Rose of Lima was the first person canonized who was native to the Americas, then Juan Diego. But Katiri is the first NORTH American native, I believe.
(10-23-2012, 02:22 AM)Carthusian Wrote: [ -> ]So does this make Kateri Tekakwitha the first saint born in the United States?
No.
I beleve St Elisabeth Seton holds that honor.
Canonised in 1975 or '76.
(10-23-2012, 01:58 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2012, 01:49 PM)LoyalVIews Wrote: [ -> ]interfering for the whole world.

Interceding?

Sometimes I wish it were more interfering...  :LOL:
(10-23-2012, 02:17 PM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]
No.
I beleve St Elisabeth Seton holds that honor.
Canonised in 1975 or '76.

This.

Pages: 1 2