FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(10-24-2012, 11:05 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]I never quite understood the fascination some people have for old pagan religions, be them Greek, Norse, Egyptian or Babylonian.

I understand an intellectual interest in classical pagan philosophy from which much useful can be learned but the old pagan religious myths border on the infantile.

Hear, hear.

Many of the tales and concepts and philosophies of the pre-Christian world were great, but only because there are truths to be found in them, not because they are the product of pagan peoples; I'm sure this is how everyone here thinks, however.

I'd go a step further and call the mythology absurd.
(10-25-2012, 05:39 AM)Varokhâr Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-24-2012, 11:05 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]I never quite understood the fascination some people have for old pagan religions, be them Greek, Norse, Egyptian or Babylonian.

I understand an intellectual interest in classical pagan philosophy from which much useful can be learned but the old pagan religious myths border on the infantile.

Hear, hear.

Many of the tales and concepts and philosophies of the pre-Christian world were great, but only because there are truths to be found in them, not because they are the product of pagan peoples; I'm sure this is how everyone here thinks, however.

I would not call mythology absurd if looked at from the perspective of those that do not have the benefit of revelation. I think that we can now call it absurd and Vetus is right on to call it childish however as anything that a child does it has minute instances of in which it makes the grown adult ponder as to how the child came to the conclusion that lead to that action. It is that process as child like it as it may be, that I find interesting.
(10-25-2012, 12:42 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-25-2012, 05:39 AM)Varokhâr Wrote: [ -> ]

Hear, hear.

I would not call mythology absurd if looked at from the perspective of those that do not have the benefit of revelation. I think that we can now call it absurd and Vetus is right on to call it childish however as anything that a child does it has minute instances of in which it makes the grown adult ponder as to how the child came to the conclusion that lead to that action. It is that process as child like it as it may be, that I find interesting.

This. As an expression of the pre-Christian pagans' transcendental knowledge of God, imperfect and strange as it might seem, their mythologies are fascinating.
(10-25-2012, 12:42 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I would not call mythology absurd if looked at from the perspective of those that do not have the benefit of revelation. I think that we can now call it absurd and Vetus is right on to call it childish however as anything that a child does it has minute instances of in which it makes the grown adult ponder as to how the child came to the conclusion that lead to that action. It is that process as child like it as it may be, that I find interesting.

That is a good point; I suppose I simply have bad memories of being involved with paganism.
I have never been interested in those old-time religions but a little academic study of them seems harmless, especially if you can use it in apologetics like the early Church Fathers did.
Pages: 1 2 3