FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Holy Father, Saint Kateri and Penance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is interesting to note the remarks of Pope Benedict when he recently canonized Saint Kateri

"Saint Kateri, Protectress of Canada and the first native American saint, we Entrust to you the renewal of the faith in the first nations and in all of North America!"  Part of his remarks from the Canonization ceremony.

I just finished up this chapter on the penance of Saint Kateri,
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/saint-...-penitent/

It was strongly emphasized in the primary resource and subsequently in the chapter that the Indians practiced very severe mortification and penance.  Yet, if their is one area that is not even whispered about it is to chastise oneself in reparation for our sins and the sins of others. 

Do you think that Pope Benedict was entrusting the renewal of faith as a "pastoral way" of calling on us to do penance like she did?  Our holy father would have had to known about her penance because it is the thing that really stands out in her life.
Yes i concur

Standing in cold river was one of her penances

St Kateria pray for us
Also her standing up for the Faith while all her fellow "Americans" were pagans and persecuting her.
St Kateria pray for us
I'm so glad she became a saint :). I remember doing an assignment on her when i was six, but she was only blessed back then.