FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pilgrimage to Purgatory -- Tuesday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lamentations of a Soul in Purgatory

TUESDAY

Holy Soul in Purgatory, is there anything you regret when you think of your life on earth? 

I deeply regret my neglect of so many splendid graces!  They have been offered to me in such abundance, at every moment of my life and with such loving admonitions... Spiritual regeneration, vocation and sacraments; word of God, holy inspirations and good examples; graces to protect me in danger, to help me in temptations; the grace of forgiveness for my sins, of indulgences so easily gained .... What an incalculable number of the most varied graces!  Some of them I have refused; others I have accepted with coldness; unfortunately, I have misused most of them. I have preferred earthly possessions to the eternal.

How I have deceived myself!  Oh, could I but for one moment quench my thirst at the fountains of mercy, flowing from the Sacred Heart! Unfortunately these fountains are spurned by sinners, as they were by me. You, who behold the inexhaustible stream of graces flow by, why do you not draw from it a few drops for yourself! Consider what St. Margaret Mary says: "It is certain that everyone on earth could obtain salutary graces without limit, if he but had a grateful love for Jesus Christ, such as is manifested by those who love and venerate His Sacred Heart."

Pious Exercises

Resolution. -- Today I will do everything possible to assist the souls of the faithful departed from all parts of Asia, particularly from Palestine and from countries infested with idolatry, schism and heresy. I also recommend myself to those who are entering heaven at this moment.

Thought for the day -- "The benefit of a single grace is greater than all the material value of the whole world." (St. Thomas I-II, Q.113, Sec. 9, A. 2).

Exercise. -- In order to relieve the Poor Souls of their sufferings, I shall offer them today, by way of suffrage, the benefit of some indulgence gained by prayers or some devotional exercise in honor of the divine Heart of Jesus.

Special Intention. -- Pray for the soul in Purgatory which is farthest from eternal rest.

Motive. -- Let yourself be moved by the abandonment, resignation and humility with which that soul bears its long suffering; it will be grateful to you. Happy will you be, if it obtains for you the virtue of humility in this world, so that you may be exalted in the next.

Prayer.-- O Lord Almighty, I pray Thee by the Precious Blood which Thy divine Son Jesus shed in the bitter crowning of thorns, deliver the souls in Purgatory, and in particular that soul which would be the last to depart out of this place of suffering, that it may not tarry so long before it comes to praise Thee in Thy glory and bless Thee for ever. Amen

Our Father.... Hail Mary.

(Any form of prayer for the Poor Souls may be used.)

De Profundis    Psalm 129:

Out of the depths I have cried unto Thee, O
Lord: Lord hear my voice. Let Thine ears be
attentive to the voice of my supplication.
If Thou, O Lord, shalt mark out iniquities:
O Lord, who can abide it!
For with Thee there is mercy; and by reason
of Thy law I have waited on Thee, O Lord.
My soul hath waited on His word; my soul
hath hoped in the Lord.
From the morning watch even unto night: let
Israel hope in the Lord.
For with the Lord there is mercy; and with
Him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

V. Eternal rest give them, O Lord.

R. And let perpetual light shine upon them.

Ejaculation.  Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ in satisfaction for my sins and in supplication for the Holy souls in Purgatory, and for the needs of the Holy Church.

May the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.