FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pilgrimage to Purgatory -- Wednesday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lamentations of a Soul in Purgatory

WEDNESDAY

Holy Soul in Purgatory, is there anything you regret when you think of your life on earth? 

I deeply regret the evil which I have done.  In the world, evil seemed so easy, so pleasant.  In the midst of pleasures I silenced the voice of conscience. Today my faults weigh me down; their bitterness torments me; their memory persecutes and torment me.  Mortal sins, forgiven, but not atoned for, venial sins, small imperfections. Too late to detest you in Purgatory!  Just punishment must now take its course. 

Oh, if I could return to life again!  No promise, be it ever so tempting, no riches, no flattery, could induce me to commit even the smallest sin!  My friends, you who are still free to choose between God and the world, gaze upon the crown of thorns, upon the cross, upon all the sufferings which your sins have brought upon the Sacred Heart!  Think of the sorrow which these sins and faults will come to you in Purgatory and you will be able to avoid them without effort. 

If you long for the grace to resist Satan when he tempts you, consider what St. Margaret Mary says: "I cannot believe that persons consecrated to this divine Heart will ever be lost; neither do I believe that they will fall into the hands of Satan by committing a mortal sin, after having given themselves entirely to Him.  For they will make every effort to honor, love and glorify this divine Heart, and to follow His designs in their regard willingly and without reserve."

Pious Exercises

Resolution.-- Today I will do everything possible to assist the souls of the faithful departed from Africa, particularly from those countries in Africa which were formerly Catholic, and are now returning to our holy Faith. I also recommend myself to those who are entering heaven at this moment.

Tbougbt for the day.-- "What doth it profit a man, if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul!" (Math. 16:25).

Exercise. -- Make an act of contrition in union with the souls in Purgatory, before a picture of the Sacred Heart.

Special intention. -- Pray for the soul richest in merits.

Motive. -- The more exalted a soul is in heaven, the more effective will be its request for true love of God for you, without which there is no real merit.

Prayer. -- O Lord God Almighty, I pray Thee, by the Precious Blood which Thy Divine Son Jesus shed in the streets of Jerusalem, when He carried the Cross upon His sacred shoulders, deliver the souls in Purgatory, and especially that soul which is richest in merits before Thee, that so, in that throne of glory which awaits it, it may magnify Thee and bless Thee forever.  Amen.

Out Father.... Hail Mary.

(Any form of prayer for the Poor Souls may be used.)

De Profundis    Psalm 129:

Out of the depths I have cried unto Thee, O
Lord: Lord hear my voice. Let Thine ears be
attentive to the voice of my supplication.
If Thou, O Lord, shalt mark out iniquities:
O Lord, who can abide it!
For with Thee there is mercy; and by reason
of Thy law I have waited on Thee, O Lord.
My soul hath waited on His word; my soul
hath hoped in the Lord.
From the morning watch even unto night: let
Israel hope in the Lord.
For with the Lord there is mercy; and with
Him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

V. Eternal rest give them, O Lord.

R. And let perpetual light shine upon them.

Ejaculation. -- Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.  Jesus, Mary, Joseph, assist me in my last agony.  Jesus, Mary, Joseph, may I breathe forth my  soul in peace with you.

May the souls of the faithful departed through the merchy of God rest in peace. Amen.