FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Isolated, what to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As many of you know, I am rather isolated geographically and socially from any traditionally minded priests, and frankly, faithful.  This forum is really the only access I have to discussion on the ideas of traditional Catholicism.
So, I find myself in some situations that are trying to my faith, and I have questions regarding my irregular home situation, and other things, that frankly, I'm not comfortable discussing online, or airing in a public forum.
What am I to do?  Who am I to talk to? How can I find a spiritual director, or heck, even a confessor, willing to talk to me??  I'm feeling so down and stressed.  It's really starting to get to me and I really don't know what to do anymore.  I can't say that I'm losing faith or anything.  Just losing hope.
Try emailing a priest and explaining your situation? I do not know if you are of the SSPX mentality, or FSSP/ICRSS, or what, but I would say pick up the phone and call a chapel/priory and ask to speak with a priest, or find an email address online.
I'd agree with what was said above, though I would add, even a traditional layman you respect would be good, in your situation.

I'm Pray for you.  I have a good idea how you feel.
(11-01-2012, 07:55 PM)MRose Wrote: [ -> ]Try emailing a priest and explaining your situation? I do not know if you are of the SSPX mentality, or FSSP/ICRSS, or what, but I would say pick up the phone and call a chapel/priory and ask to speak with a priest, or find an email address online.
The closest traditional chapel I have is an SSPX 70+ miles away.  The next closest is an FSSP 100+ miles away.  I'm planning on calling the SSPX folks tomorrow. I didn't go for it today because I figured they'd be so busy offering masses no one would be available.  I hate e-mailing sensitive things.  It always comes across wrong, yanno?

As for a traditional laymen, that's where the social isolation comes in.  My fiance and I aren't particularly social folks, and I just can't spill my guts to anybody down here.  Gossip is the second most popular past time in this town (the first being adultery).  Heck, incorrect gossip and adultery are *why* I'm socially isolated.  (People think I'm someone I'm not, someone who slept around with some big-wig in the church's son-in-law.  I'm a social pariah)
I can empathize with you.  I am Third Order SSPX and we lost our chapel here in Salt Lake four years ago.  I am now a "home-aloner."  On Sundays, I have a quiet, reflective day.  There is a wonderful book called THE CHURCH'S YEAR by Goffine.  You can get it from Angelus Press.  It has the readings of the mass plus some additional materials.  I read that every Sunday as well as usual rosary, prayers, etc.  I feel like I am "alone out here in the Mormon desert of Utah."  When we lost our chapel, I made a promise to myself that I would do nothing to compromise the Traditional Faith.  I also try to have some good book of spiritual reading with which to pass Sundays.  I wish you all the best.  Yours/ours is not an easy situation.  I will pray for you.  God bless you. Pray
You know, the funny thing is, I used to live in Salt Lake City
(11-01-2012, 08:33 PM)knittycat Wrote: [ -> ]As for a traditional laymen, that's where the social isolation comes in.  My fiance and I aren't particularly social folks, and I just can't spill my guts to anybody down here.  Gossip is the second most popular past time in this town (the first being adultery).  Heck, incorrect gossip and adultery are *why* I'm socially isolated.  (People think I'm someone I'm not, someone who slept around with some big-wig in the church's son-in-law.  I'm a social pariah)

Well, at least you have each other...

I do think that to a certain extent, being social is a decision you have to make.  If y'all are that isolated, it may be time to make it.  There have to be things you can find where you can meet and hang out with decent, sane people, even if they aren't trads or even Catholics.  You have to start somewhere.

If you're going to talk to a priest tomorrow, you'll be fine in the short-term.  In the long term, though, I would think about looking around for a more comprehensive solution.

Again, my sympathies.
Is it possible for you to move sometime in the future?
(11-01-2012, 10:06 PM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible for you to move sometime in the future?

I was just gonna ask that. Can you relocate? Obviously that opens up the options considerably.
Pray Pray Pray
Pages: 1 2 3