FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Frequency of reception of Communion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(11-03-2012, 07:13 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2012, 07:03 PM)Spooky Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2012, 06:54 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2012, 05:23 PM)Spooky Wrote: [ -> ]Jayne maybe you can also make a poll asking how often one goes to Confession, because they seems to correlate (at least among trads anyway lol).

Once a week. How about you, pottymouth?

I don't know why you're trying to be a dick (or maybe you're not trying you just are) but I was making a sincere request. I suspect the rate of Confession to Communion is higher among trads.

I guess maybe I am because I never intended to turn you into the Tyrannosaurus Rex of this Forum. I was really and truly surprised that you expressed shock and horror to expletives since they flow as freely from your mouth as beer in Munich.

I didn't express shock and horror at expletives but Vox said that she was going to crack down on the swearing on this forum. You were away so you might have missed that.
When I have been to confession and believe I am in a state of grace I recieve Communion. I try to go to weekly Confession but it is a hard goal. Sometimes I think about bringing baby in the Confessional with me but I think it's wrong on so many levels and I don't think allowed :) So when I can't Confess I can't go to Communion. I would recieve daily if possible because I need the grace..... I think we all need the grace and nourishment.
I wonder what type of sin traditional Catholics struggle with the most, aside from the common sin against chastity issues, because I think we would see a little more layers than with a lukewarm catholic. I mean I have spoken with some "catholics" who don't agree that some things I think are a sin..... When someone is a practcing Catholic, I also think the bar raises in spiritual warfare. Not to sound outthere. Boy oh boy have I have my faith tested time and time again. Sometimes I have failed. Maybe God was allowing this to make me stronger? I have come to the conclusion that the Sacrament of Confession is particularly helpful to Faith.   
Here is a good homily:  [video=youtube][/video]

how do I make this youtube link work?
(11-03-2012, 07:39 PM)candyapple Wrote: [ -> ]When I have been to confession and believe I am in a state of grace I recieve Communion. I try to go to weekly Confession but it is a hard goal. Sometimes I think about bringing baby in the Confessional with me but I think it's wrong on so many levels and I don't think allowed :) So when I can't Confess I can't go to Communion. I would recieve daily if possible because I need the grace..... I think we all need the grace and nourishment.
I wonder what type of sin traditional Catholics struggle with the most, aside from the common sin against chastity issues, because I think we would see a little more layers than with a lukewarm catholic. I mean I have spoken with some "catholics" who don't agree that some things I think are a sin..... When someone is a practcing Catholic, I also think the bar raises in spiritual warfare. Not to sound outthere. Boy oh boy have I have my faith tested time and time again. Sometimes I have failed. Maybe God was allowing this to make me stronger? I have come to the conclusion that the Sacrament of Confession is particularly helpful to Faith.   
Here is a good homily:  [video=youtube][/video]

how do I make this youtube link work?

The link works fine.  If you want it to appear on your post next time, click 'share' on the youtube page, choose the long link, start at 0:00 (or some other point if you prefer), copy the link, and paste it here.  Then select the link in this reply box and click the 'youtube' icon above, and it will appear here.

Thank you for this!  I understand about the difficulty going to Confession when there are little ones! 

re. making youtube posting work - remove the 's' from the 'https', and it should post fine.

Thanks for the video!
Anyone can go to Confession with 'just' venial sins, in fact, I've only ever been encouraged by trad priests to go every 2 weeks even with 'just' venial sins.  If someone can't be encouraged to try for the plenary indulgence for themselves, maybe they can be encouraged to offer it to the souls in Purgatory.
(11-03-2012, 07:20 PM)Spooky Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2012, 07:13 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2012, 07:03 PM)Spooky Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2012, 06:54 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2012, 05:23 PM)Spooky Wrote: [ -> ]Jayne maybe you can also make a poll asking how often one goes to Confession, because they seems to correlate (at least among trads anyway lol).

Once a week. How about you, pottymouth?

I don't know why you're trying to be a dick (or maybe you're not trying you just are) but I was making a sincere request. I suspect the rate of Confession to Communion is higher among trads.

I guess maybe I am because I never intended to turn you into the Tyrannosaurus Rex of this Forum. I was really and truly surprised that you expressed shock and horror to expletives since they flow as freely from your mouth as beer in Munich.

I didn't express shock and horror at expletives but Vox said that she was going to crack down on the swearing on this forum. You were away so you might have missed that.

Yes, I was using hyperbole. I did miss the cracking the whip on swearing thing. Please be careful because this penishead enjoy´s your presence here.
Less often than I would like to-- rarely enough to qualify for "rarely" in this poll.

The reasons are complicated and personal and painful.
:pray2:
More frequent Communion has been a huge blessing to me. It's hard to put into words but I actually feel like I am given just enough extra grace to battle whatever sins or temptations may assail me for that day. Sometimes the struggle is brutal but that extra grace makes all the difference. Before starting to go to Mass during the week even with weekly Confession I would often find myself committing the same mortal sins over and over again, realizing that to receive Communion only on a Sunday after a Saturday Confession was just not enough to get me through the week. I suppose it's different with everyone though. Now that I'm starting to see just how powerful these extra graces are I pray that I will continue to go to Mass and receive Communion at least once or twice a week outside Sunday.
(11-05-2012, 09:50 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]More frequent Communion has been a huge blessing to me. It's hard to put into words but I actually feel like I am given just enough extra grace to battle whatever sins or temptations may assail me for that day. Sometimes the struggle is brutal but that extra grace makes all the difference. Before starting to go to Mass during the week even with weekly Confession I would often find myself committing the same mortal sins over and over again, realizing that to receive Communion only on a Sunday after a Saturday Confession was just not enough to get me through the week. I suppose it's different with everyone though. Now that I'm starting to see just how powerful these extra graces are I pray that I will continue to go to Mass and receive Communion at least once or twice a week outside Sunday.

Same here. Receiving the Eucharist daily has, I am sure, helped me in my struggles with temptation in ways that are difficult to articulate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4