FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Frequency of reception of Communion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
There is already some discussion happening on this topic. I'm trying to get a sense of how common various practices are.
I voted 'rarely', but but that I mean maybe 10-12 times a year ... which isn't that rare. In certain eras people rarely received at all after their first Communion!

Quoting myself from another post
Quote:I am just one of those people who doesn't receive Communion even every Sunday, even if I'm in the state of grace. I try to receive if I'm (a) in the State of Grace, (b) have fasted (from midnight), © have made appropriate preparation before Mass, (d) have confessed recently, and (e) haven't received in the last few days.

I accept the teaching that daily Communion is beneficial, but I don't think I'm in the state where it would benefit me. I think it would make the Eucharist seem commonplace, whereas rarer reception helps me to deepen my devotion. In the future I may receive more often, but I don't think I'm ready.
(11-02-2012, 04:00 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I voted 'rarely', but but that I mean maybe 10-12 times a year ... which isn't that rare. In certain eras people rarely received at all after their first Communion!

Yes, a term like "rarely" is relative.  it might have been helpful to use numbers.  This always happens when I make a poll.  I keep thinking of ways to change it.  :)
(11-02-2012, 04:04 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2012, 04:00 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I voted 'rarely', but but that I mean maybe 10-12 times a year ... which isn't that rare. In certain eras people rarely received at all after their first Communion!

Yes, a term like "rarely" is relative.  it might have been helpful to use numbers.  This always happens when I make a poll.  I keep thinking of ways to change it.  :)

Did you consult Rosarium before making the poll?  :) (Seriously, I would think he would be helpful.)

When I make polls (I don't think I have on this site), I always make sure choices are truly exclusive and comprehensive. So is it possible to receive more often than rarely, but less often than almost weekly?
I receive at least weekly, sometimes more if I get to daily Mass. I also prepare for it by frequent Confession and by getting to Mass early. I do agree that it could be dangerous to just go up all the time if you aren't prepared. Each person is different in that some can receive frequently and not take it for granted and profit much from it and others might end up treating it like a plaything. It all depends on so many factors. For me it's more about whether or not I'm in a state of grace and whether I'm recollected at Mass. If that combination is not present I will not receive. They say one worthy Communion can make one a Saint. That's definitely something to ponder.
I receive rarely, but only because I don't feel comfortable receiving unless I've recently made a confession.  For several reasons, chief among them my sloth, I don't confess as often as I should and therefore I don't feel comfortable receiving often.

But I think that the Church's view on this is clear.  We ought to receive as often as possible (with the caveat that we ought to be confessing often as well, in order to make ourselves a proper tabernacle for the Lord).  Pius X stressed even daily reception.  I think that's something we should all shoot for, and I say that as someone with a deep love for Irish spirituality which included a good-intentioned but misguided emphasis on receiving only once or twice a year.
About 9 out of 10 Masses here. Never when in need of Confession, and sometimes I simply prefer a Spiritual Communion.

I go to daily Mass.
(11-02-2012, 04:06 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2012, 04:04 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, a term like "rarely" is relative.  it might have been helpful to use numbers.  This always happens when I make a poll.  I keep thinking of ways to change it.  :)

Did you consult Rosarium before making the poll?  :) (Seriously, I would think he would be helpful.)

I'm sure he would have been.  That would make a great slogan:  Things go better with Rosarium.
I'm a daily communicant because I need the grace. Would you only eat physical food a few times a year? Give us this day our DAILY bread.. I take it both ways.
I receive whenever I go to Mass, which is now only on days of Obligation. When I know that I'm going to go to Mass, I make it a point to go early to prepare, and I make acts of faith, love, contrition, and desire for Communion during the collection/preparation of the gifts. I'd prefer to prepare by confession, but if I abstained because of lack of confession I'd only receive at easter, and I know that that would have terrible effects on me. I can't get to daily Mass anymore, and I can only make "confessions of necessity," rather than going to confession frequently as I'd like, because I don't have transportation on Saturdays when confession is scheduled, and I'd feel like I was wasting the priest's time if I made an appointmant just to confess venial sins- especially since this priest isn't the pastor of my parish, so I really don't want to burden him with the care of an extra soul.  :Hmm:
Pages: 1 2 3 4