FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Tattoos, piercings etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been trying to figure out what sort of stance I should take when it comes to tattoos and piercings. I can appreciate the art that goes into tattoos and I enjoy them on other people, however I have concerns about getting them myself. I don't think I am getting a tattoo ant time soon but I am considering a second piercing on my ear. On one hand I feel like this is a trivial thing, on the other I know some folk who are very condemning of body art. I know the church has no official stance on the subject but I thought I would ask for some opinions. Any opinions?
Your intentions probably matter more here than anything else, especially with a piercing that is not going to draw a lot of intention to yourself.  I can't imagine a situation in which a normal ear piercing on a woman would create scandal or tempation, but maybe someone else can clarify on that.

If you think it's pretty and becoming on you, not taking away from your dignity, not creating in yourself too much pride, then I wouldn't be too worried.  Now, if you're considering a nose ring or something, that's different.

But, as always, consult with a traditional priest before making any decision and remember that everyone giving you advice here is just another layman (unless one of our few resident priests decides to drop in).
I don't think there are any official teachings. What mostly matters is personal taste.

Personally, I would never get a tattoo., nor get my ears pierced in a ghetto style.

I don't like girls who have all these piercings (nose, lip, upper ear, multiple on lobe, gauges). One per lobe is enough, but this is just me.
I think the biggest problems with tattoos is that they are a source of vanity for a lot of people and should be avoided. They can cause pride, vanity and lead to lust. But also, I think of it in the context of our body are temples of the Holy Ghost, wherein dwells the Holy Trinity. We should not be writing permanent graffiti all over our bodies. That's my take.

Although some may say Leviticus doesn't apply anymore, I think it still rings true today though:

You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord. Leviticus 19:28

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!  Grin

God bless

Hooboy.  Here we go again.
Tattoos give me the heebie jeebies -- but I don't know that they are a sin.
I don't have a problem with tattoos, as I have a few myself. I have St. Thomas the Apostle on my left inner bicep, and the Petrine cross on my right ribs.

Here is a junky photo of my inner bicep
[Image: 25601_103500329681914_6082708_n.jpg]

I didn't take a photo of the Petrine cross yet but it's this one. The cross is more of turquoise and the keys are gold.
[Image: 5_1.jpg]

I'm getting a sacrificial lamb next.
Thanks for the replies! I decided not to get any piercings for now, as my family is disgusted by them.  Shrug
(11-02-2012, 09:00 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have a problem with tattoos, as I have a few myself. I have St. Thomas the Apostle on my left inner bicep, and the Petrine cross on my right ribs.

Here is a junky photo of my inner bicep
[Image: 25601_103500329681914_6082708_n.jpg]

I didn't take a photo of the Petrine cross yet but it's this one. The cross is more of turquoise and the keys are gold.
[Image: 5_1.jpg]

I'm getting a sacrificial lamb next.
Didn't someone recently get banned for displaying an upside-down cross?

Could it have been the Petrine cross?

Interesting..... Unsure
The person who was banned...was it possibly the Pope? After all, there has been some unflattering comments made about him here.

[Image: popesata.jpg]
Pages: 1 2