FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: God's sense of humour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(11-04-2012, 01:20 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: [ -> ]The ability to laugh at one's self is a mark of humility.
I could quote the Summa, but this is a small matter.

Quote:No offense,
If you have to start a sentence with that, one may want to rethink what one is going to express. But I am difficult to offend.

Quote:Rosarium, but you remind me of what Julius Caesar said about Gaius Cassius (a la Shakespeare):  "I fear no man, but if I feared man, I know not whom I should fear so soon as that spare Cassius...  He seldom laughs, and laughs in such a sort as though he mocked his own spirit that could be moved to laugh...  Would he were fatter."

I paraphrase from memory.  My point is, learn to laugh.  It's good for you.  You're not supposed to be thinking God's thoughts-- godly thoughts, yes, God's thoughts, no.  Learn to live as a man before you try to live as an angel.

This is entirely misguided. I am watching MST3k in another tab now. Very funny. I make jokes in person and in chat and even on the forum well (perhaps too well at time).

This humor controversy started when it was mentioned in a rebuke of the forum atmosphere. It was discussed a little more in that thread, which sparked another thread, and someone made this thread. It is only a single topic and if you read what I actually wrote, you would not have written such a foolish thing about me.

It is like going to a person at a funeral to lighten up and not think so much about death. People exist outside of the specific circumstances in which one perceives others. On discussions about theological matters, you will not find me to be an imp.

My name was cited in the OP. I have every right to respond to it.

Also, keep in mind that people develop physically, mentally, and spiritually differently. At no point should one look at one more advanced and ask them to regress. That is foolishness. If seriousness is more protested than lightheartedness, then that just confirms what I wrote before.

EDIT: Before giving me advice, one should consult what I wrote. A segment of it is:

Quote:The main issue is:

* Mockery of what is good by defect of understanding of the subject
* Excuses for sin

How one moderates humor in one's own life is not really the issue and in terms of virtue, there is likely a very big range of safety for individuals. The main issues are the use of humor as an excuse for evil and mockery of what is good.

If anyone thinks this is in need of reform, then I will have nothing to do with such thinking. That is what I actually wrote. Ignore perceptions which do not reflect reality.

(11-04-2012, 01:02 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2012, 12:18 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]Are you Aspergers or something? If so, walk away from this thread.

Actually, he does have Aspergers.  Why do you think that is relevant to his participation?

because it's like someone with altered tastes describing chemical flavors when the rest are describing their choice of soda. True, yes. Buzzkill, most certainly. If he has Aspergers of a type which relegates him to not appreciating more common types of humor, there's no reason to interject random OT scripture when someone is giggling at finding keys in the place he should have gone to begin with.
(11-04-2012, 05:38 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2012, 12:18 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]Are you Aspergers or something? If so, walk away from this thread.

Actually, he does have Aspergers.  Why do you think that is relevant to his participation?

because it's like someone with altered tastes describing chemical flavors when the rest are describing their choice of soda. True, yes. Buzzkill, most certainly. If he has Aspergers of a type which relegates him to not appreciating more common types of humor, there's no reason to interject random OT scripture when someone is giggling at finding keys in the place he should have gone to begin with.

I have seen posts that suggest that Rosarium has a very good sense of humour.  From what I have seen, he is perfectly capable of appreciating most types of humour.  I suspect that he is being overly negative in his comments about humour in response to seeing people who have misused it.  For example, there are people who make uncharitable, hurtful comments and then claim that these were jokes, telling those who object to the cruelty to "get a funny bone."

If you look at Rosarium's specific complaints about humour, they are, for the most part, legitimate objections to misuses of humour.  He is not balancing these objections with any discussion of positive manifestations of humour, giving an impression that he is opposed to humour.  I am convinced this impression is misleading and further discussion will clarify his position.  However, dismissing his opinions as influenced by Aspergers will not lead to clarity. 
(11-04-2012, 05:50 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen posts that suggest that Rosarium has a very good sense of humour.  From what I have seen, he is perfectly capable of appreciating most types of humour.  I suspect that he is being overly negative in his comments about humour in response to seeing people who have misused it.  For example, there are people who make uncharitable, hurtful comments and then claim that these were jokes, telling those who object to the cruelty to "get a funny bone."

If you look at Rosarium's specific complaints about humour, they are, for the most part, legitimate objections to misuses of humour.  He is not balancing these objections with any discussion of positive manifestations of humour, giving an impression that he is opposed to humour.  I am convinced this impression is misleading and further discussion will clarify his position.  However, dismissing his opinions as influenced by Aspergers will not lead to clarity. 

That is correct.

I did not focus on it. Others did. The issue with humor was only a part of a list of issues I addressed.

Issues of humor were only the fifth or six issue cited in that post: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...364.0.html

However, the main problem was first:

Quote:This forum as a whole is culturally Catholic, not spiritually. There is a superficial layer of knowledge and virtue, which is good for those who have nothing better, but the forum as a whole is not conducive to any spiritual progress.

The disdain for knowledge here and lack of exercise of reason and virtue in general makes this forum far less useful than it could be.

And the responses I have gotten have exemplified this primary complaint very well.

While the humor issue deserves to be addressed, the real issue was not humor itself, but when it was used as an excuse for sin or unjust mockery of something that was good.

In another tab, at this moment, is an episode of MST3k which is very funny ("Mitchell" if anybody is interested) and I laugh a lot during it. Gypsy is trying to find a way to get Joel off the Satellite of Love and the other bots are joking around too much.

In this issue though, many people did exactly what I found to be the bigger issue: lack of reason, attacking the person, claiming error without demonstrating it, and overall lack of any admirable traits guiding general discourse.

Look at this for instance: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33823724

Humor is not the main issue there, just as it was not the main issue in my original complaint.
(11-04-2012, 01:31 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Somebody needs to develop a funny bone. 

sip sip

What ever happened to Mr. Sip Sip?
(11-04-2012, 05:38 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]

because it's like someone with altered tastes describing chemical flavors when the rest are describing their choice of soda. True, yes. Buzzkill, most certainly
This is not about humor. I would have ignored this thread if it did not reference me as it did. I am not interjecting into a random lighthearted thread about personal experiences serious theological topics.

It was explicitly referencing me.

If one does not want my particular attention, one should refrain from doing that.

Quote:. If he has Aspergers of a type which relegates him to not appreciating more common types of humor, there's no reason to interject random OT scripture when someone is giggling at finding keys in the place he should have gone to begin with.
Autism has little to do with this anyway. You clearly have not a grasp on what is happening. It is not someone "giggling at finding keys", but someone directly referencing what I wrote in a way which I felt needed correction.

Since what I personally wrote was serious, I am not the one who changed the tone.

Am I to be criticized and excluded for the perception I am being serious on a lighthearted thread while a person who is making light of a topic which was originally serious is supported?

Isn't that hypocrisy?

I think I am fully justified in maintaining the tone of my original statements when others derive topics from them.

And do not bring up personal issues if you do not want to do the same. If I learned my social skills from the examples I see, I would be anti-intellectual, illogical, selfish, and generally disdainful of anybody different from me.

Be glad I look to better sources than the examples of others around me.
Than you for turning a light thread into yet another puritanical discussion about the value of humour, Rosarium. :tiphat:
(11-04-2012, 06:19 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]This is not about humor. I would have ignored this thread if it did not reference me as it did. I am not interjecting into a random lighthearted thread about personal experiences serious theological topics.

It was explicitly referencing me.

If one does not want my particular attention, one should refrain from doing that.

Really? I hardly find the following to be a specific referencing of you more so than it being a "hey, started this thread for the purpose of lighthearted discussion on XYZ; inspired by an unrelated thread."

In fact, re-read the OP:

Quote:This is a spin off thread from JayneK and Rosarium discussing the value of humour. A lot of people maintain that God Himself has a good sense of humour. So do you have any anecdotes you'd like to share about God playing a joke on you?

Mine:

I'd been putting off saying my prayers all day and it came time for me to go meet a friend in the city. I couldn't find my keys anywhere, and after asking St. Anthony's help while turning my room upside down I still had no luck. I ended up climbing out my bedroom window, slightly bitter at St. Anthony. I came home a few hours later, again climbing through the window. After another long search I still hadn't found my keys. It got to about 10pm, I knew I hadn't prayed all day and felt guilty. But hey, St. Anthony was no help to me so maybe I'd be wasting my time with prayer? Still the sting of conscience got to me and I rather reluctantly walked over to my bookshelf to get my missal and begin night prayers. There, sitting on top of my missal, were the keys.

You were referenced, and specifically, but obviously the OP just referenced the other thread, thus you (and JayneK) for continuity as to the reason for this one... which isn't theological discussion, but relating funny occurrences. Find the humor. Find the lesson... no one care that there is no fruit juice in the Strawberry soda, as concerns this thread.
(11-04-2012, 06:21 PM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]Than you for turning a light thread into yet another puritanical discussion about the value of humour, Rosarium. :tiphat:

So, you will accuse me of heresy to defend what is not important at the expense of moral concern?

This is backwards.

Like I wrote before, the values are backwards.

(11-04-2012, 06:25 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]You were referenced, and specifically, but obviously the OP just referenced the other thread, thus you (and JayneK) for continuity as to the reason for this one... which isn't theological discussion, but relating funny occurrences. Find the humor. Find the lesson... no one care that there is no fruit juice in the Strawberry soda, as concerns this thread.

If what I wrote was not so "controversial", people could have just gone past it.

See: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...364.0.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4