FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: God's sense of humour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(11-04-2012, 06:29 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2012, 06:25 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]You were referenced, and specifically, but obviously the OP just referenced the other thread, thus you (and JayneK) for continuity as to the reason for this one... which isn't theological discussion, but relating funny occurrences. Find the humor. Find the lesson... no one care that there is no fruit juice in the Strawberry soda, as concerns this thread.

If what I wrote was not so "controversial", people could have just gone past it.

See: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...364.0.html

:eyeroll:Rosy... this thread was for the purpose of not only going past it, but separating it entirely for a different purpose. Get over it. Let this thread go. Let it be funny and lighthearted and full of funny "St. Andrew answered in this way... hahahahahahaha" etc.

Yep I think God comes down to our level constantly including humor :)

Quote:In another tab, at this moment, is an episode of MST3k which is very funny ("Mitchell" if anybody is interested)

Joe Don Baker IS Martha Mitchell!

Hot merging action!

This makes "Driving Miss Daisy" look like "Bullit".

And my favorite:
"You’re lying through your teeth!"
"Buzz off, huh?!"
"Buzz off!"
"BUZZ OFF, KID!!!"
(11-04-2012, 05:38 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]Are you Aspergers or something? If so, walk away from this thread.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :P
So...body temperature or room temperature then? 9.9
I think the fact that God not only has a sense of humor, but that it can be known and communicated, is apparent in the parable of the vineyard owner hiring workers.  :)  I always chuckle when I hear it read.

[Image: 2r7worn.jpg]
Balam's ass is the funniest story in the bible hands down.  I felt guilty the first time I laughed at it because you don't expect a lot of humor in the bible.  But then I thought, of course it's meant to be funny.  This guy starts beating his donkey who then starts talking to him and he carries on a conversation with the beast as if its the most normal thing in the world.  Or how about John 8 where Our Lord keeps speaking to the Jews and they get more and more outraged with him and he keeps calmly accusing them of being spawn of Satan.  That's funny stuff.  But, it all communicates truth as well.
(11-04-2012, 10:11 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Balam's ass is the funniest story in the bible hands down.  I felt guilty the first time I laughed at it because you don't expect a lot of humor in the bible.  But then I thought, of course it's meant to be funny.  This guy starts beating his donkey who then starts talking to him and he carries on a conversation with the beast as if its the most normal thing in the world.  Or how about John 8 where Our Lord keeps speaking to the Jews and they get more and more outraged with him and he keeps calmly accusing them of being spawn of Satan.  That's funny stuff.  But, it all communicates truth as well.
:LOL: :LOL:
(11-04-2012, 10:11 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Balam's ass is the funniest story in the bible hands down.  I felt guilty the first time I laughed at it because you don't expect a lot of humor in the bible.  But then I thought, of course it's meant to be funny.  This guy starts beating his donkey who then starts talking to him and he carries on a conversation with the beast as if its the most normal thing in the world.  Or how about John 8 where Our Lord keeps speaking to the Jews and they get more and more outraged with him and he keeps calmly accusing them of being spawn of Satan.  That's funny stuff.  But, it all communicates truth as well.

I always thought the Tower of Babel story showed a sense of humor. They build this "giant" tower that's going to reach all the way to Heaven, but from God's perspective, it's so puny that He has to come down from Heaven to see what it is they're doing.
(11-04-2012, 01:36 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2012, 01:20 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: [ -> ]The ability to laugh at one's self is a mark of humility.
I could quote the Summa, but this is a small matter.

As you may have realized, small matters interest me.  Possibly a side effect, and possibly an ill one, of being an academic.

Quote:
Quote:No offense,
If you have to start a sentence with that, one may want to rethink what one is going to express. But I am difficult to offend.

I didn't have to.  I didn't have to say anything at all.  Maybe it would be better if I didn't.  Nonetheless, there are things about you now that remind me of myself as I once was, and that I think led me into quite a bit of trouble.  This is not to say that you're worse than any person on the forum-- I'm not sure there are many that I respect more.  *shrug* Est quod est.

Quote:
Quote:Rosarium, but you remind me of what Julius Caesar said about Gaius Cassius (a la Shakespeare):  "I fear no man, but if I feared man, I know not whom I should fear so soon as that spare Cassius...  He seldom laughs, and laughs in such a sort as though he mocked his own spirit that could be moved to laugh...  Would he were fatter."

I paraphrase from memory.  My point is, learn to laugh.  It's good for you.  You're not supposed to be thinking God's thoughts-- godly thoughts, yes, God's thoughts, no.  Learn to live as a man before you try to live as an angel.

This is entirely misguided. I am watching MST3k in another tab now. Very funny. I make jokes in person and in chat and even on the forum well (perhaps too well at time).

You might be right, but I doubt it.  As you say, perhaps the humor is not the main issue.  It's the perfectionism that seems to be expressed in your posts that bothers me.  And believe me, I definitely believe that we are supposed to try to "be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect."  Nonetheless, there is a perfectionism that is at the human level that causes severe problems.  Maybe you don't have it-- though telling me that you do laugh is not going to settle the issue.  I laughed as well.  Nevertheless, I was this kind of perfectionist, and it ruined my life for a good two years or more.  I could be wrong, I'll grant you that.  Nevertheless, in general, your posts do not reassure me.

Quote:People exist outside of the specific circumstances in which one perceives others. On discussions about theological matters, you will not find me to be an imp.

Which is fine.  But I think it's pretty clear that this thread was not meant to be a theological matter in the way that you mean.

Quote:My name was cited in the OP. I have every right to respond to it.

K

Quote:Also, keep in mind that people develop physically, mentally, and spiritually differently. At no point should one look at one more advanced and ask them to regress.

If you think I'm asking you to regress, then maybe I should just shut up.  God forbid I should ask such a thing.

Quote:That is foolishness. If seriousness is more protested than lightheartedness, then that just confirms what I wrote before.

In a certain context, I think it makes more sense to protest seriousness.  *shrug*  I don't think you'll find that I'm lacking in protesting things that seem seriously wrong to me in Church and State.

Quote:* Mockery of what is good by defect of understanding of the subject

I confess that I don't even know what you mean by this.

Quote:* Excuses for sin

*shrug*  I hope you haven't seen this in me, but if you have, call me out specifically.

Quote:How one moderates humor in one's own life is not really the issue and in terms of virtue, there is likely a very big range of safety for individuals. The main issues are the use of humor as an excuse for evil and mockery of what is good.

I think in principle we agree, and even in many particulars.  I just keep getting the impression from the particulars that you actually bring up that in these, we do not agree.

Quote:Ignore perceptions which do not reflect reality.

You never ask anyone to do anything easy, do you?
Pages: 1 2 3 4