FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: God's sense of humour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is a spin off thread from JayneK and Rosarium discussing the value of humour. A lot of people maintain that God Himself has a good sense of humour. So do you have any anecdotes you'd like to share about God playing a joke on you?

Mine:

I'd been putting off saying my prayers all day and it came time for me to go meet a friend in the city. I couldn't find my keys anywhere, and after asking St. Anthony's help while turning my room upside down I still had no luck. I ended up climbing out my bedroom window, slightly bitter at St. Anthony. I came home a few hours later, again climbing through the window. After another long search I still hadn't found my keys. It got to about 10pm, I knew I hadn't prayed all day and felt guilty. But hey, St. Anthony was no help to me so maybe I'd be wasting my time with prayer? Still the sting of conscience got to me and I rather reluctantly walked over to my bookshelf to get my missal and begin night prayers. There, sitting on top of my missal, were the keys.
(11-04-2012, 09:11 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]This is a spin off thread from JayneK and Rosarium discussing the value of humour. A lot of people maintain that God Himself has a good sense of humour. So do you have any anecdotes you'd like to share about God playing a joke on you?

Mine:

I'd been putting off saying my prayers all day and it came time for me to go meet a friend in the city. I couldn't find my keys anywhere, and after asking St. Anthony's help while turning my room upside down I still had no luck. I ended up climbing out my bedroom window, slightly bitter at St. Anthony. I came home a few hours later, again climbing through the window. After another long search I still hadn't found my keys. It got to about 10pm, I knew I hadn't prayed all day and felt guilty. But hey, St. Anthony was no help to me so maybe I'd be wasting my time with prayer. Rather reluctantly I walked over to my bookshelf to get my missal and begin night prayers. There, sitting on top of my missal, were the keys.

That is more the folly of man than the humor of God.

Some would consider the Forbidden Fruit in the Garden to be a cosmic joke.

Be wary of humanizing God:

Isaias 55:8-9 Wrote:For my thoughts are not your thoughts: nor your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are exalted above the earth, so are my ways exalted above your ways, and my thoughts above your thoughts.
(11-04-2012, 09:14 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2012, 09:11 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]This is a spin off thread from JayneK and Rosarium discussing the value of humour. A lot of people maintain that God Himself has a good sense of humour. So do you have any anecdotes you'd like to share about God playing a joke on you?

Mine:

I'd been putting off saying my prayers all day and it came time for me to go meet a friend in the city. I couldn't find my keys anywhere, and after asking St. Anthony's help while turning my room upside down I still had no luck. I ended up climbing out my bedroom window, slightly bitter at St. Anthony. I came home a few hours later, again climbing through the window. After another long search I still hadn't found my keys. It got to about 10pm, I knew I hadn't prayed all day and felt guilty. But hey, St. Anthony was no help to me so maybe I'd be wasting my time with prayer. Rather reluctantly I walked over to my bookshelf to get my missal and begin night prayers. There, sitting on top of my missal, were the keys.

Isaias 55:8-9 Wrote:For my thoughts are not your thoughts: nor your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are exalted above the earth, so are my ways exalted above your ways, and my thoughts above your thoughts.

This thread itself is supposed to be humorous. I'm not putting forward a theological treatise :P
(11-04-2012, 09:16 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]This thread itself is supposed to be humorous. I'm not putting forward a theological treatise :P

Is our relationship with God and flawed perception a good basis for humor? This is the subject of a theological treatise.
Your story Aragon conforms to what I've been told. The Lord's so called sense of humor runs to irony. It's kind of a reminder to you and to us that read it.

tim
(11-04-2012, 09:14 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]

Mine:

Sheesh man! Of course that's true... or else he would have looked for the keys on top of the missal right away! :LOL:

Are you Aspergers or something? If so, walk away from this thread.
(11-04-2012, 12:18 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]Are you Aspergers or something? If so, walk away from this thread.

Actually, he does have Aspergers.  Why do you think that is relevant to his participation?
(11-04-2012, 09:21 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2012, 09:16 AM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]This thread itself is supposed to be humorous. I'm not putting forward a theological treatise :P

Is our relationship with God and flawed perception a good basis for humor? This is the subject of a theological treatise.

Flawed perception might be the only basis for humor; it's certainly a major one.  And I certainly don't see why our relationship with God should be utterly excluded from that.  If we can learn to laugh at ourselves over our failure to live up to God's will for us, that would be a very good thing.  The ability to laugh at one's self is a mark of humility.

No offense, Rosarium, but you remind me of what Julius Caesar said about Gaius Cassius (a la Shakespeare):  "I fear no man, but if I feared man, I know not whom I should fear so soon as that spare Cassius...  He seldom laughs, and laughs in such a sort as though he mocked his own spirit that could be moved to laugh...  Would he were fatter."

I paraphrase from memory.  My point is, learn to laugh.  It's good for you.  You're not supposed to be thinking God's thoughts-- godly thoughts, yes, God's thoughts, no.  Learn to live as a man before you try to live as an angel.
(11-04-2012, 12:18 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]Are you Aspergers or something? If so, walk away from this thread.

Why? Are you looking for excuses for why a person expresses thoughts which are not rational? I rationally chose what to right and chose to express that. It was not a product of any ingrained urge or tendency.

Whether one has or does not have Autism is not the issue. Whether one has or does not have reason is the issue.

Shall I attribute your words to being Neurotypical? Yes, you are just an average nervous system and all you do is merely a product of those tendencies, such as thinking one can "walk" away from a forum thread and finding stimuli of the flesh (humor) to be a higher good than the intellect.

I am perfectly capable of expressing and experiencing humor and I bet I am better at you than that. However, there is a time and place for that.

And this thread was inspired by what I wrote on another thread. I have every right, and even a duty, to address it if I am going to be at all active on this forum.

Somebody needs to develop a funny bone. 

sip sip
Pages: 1 2 3 4