FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Charismatic Prot-Caths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
hahahahah so I was looking at CAF and there is a thread demanding that there be a subforum dedicated to Charismatic weirdos. The posts are seriously priceless!

"But honestly, God has showed us that our Charismatic form of worship is valid to Him, therefore it does please God. Guitars, Liturgical dancers, talking before Mass, shorts and flip-flops, these things all have their place within the Catholic Mass just the same as suits and ties, incense, bells, and the Latin form. These are all the traditions of the Catholic Church, which means one thing..!!! The Traditional Catholicism Forum IS the place to converse about our Charismatic Mass."

"WooHoo! Just back from the Charismatic Conference I attended this weekend, Yes there was clapping, singing, a little jumping around, healing Masses, a Prayer Room and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, speaking, praising, and praying in tongues and "word gifts". The reverence at the two Masses was profound, the speakers were inspiring, challenging and funny (an a lot of fun), and it was all amazingly orthodox! Not a hererodox idea in the place that I heard! What did happen for me was some continuing conversion/metanoia and joyfulness in being a Catholic Christian. There was real confirmation that the Holy Spirit is involved and we need Him/Her to be.

It was pointed out that there is a real need these days for the Charismatic Gifts of the Spirit. They were much in evidence in the early church, then waned after the advent of Constantine and declaration of the ""whole" world (as they knew it) to be Christian. Now that Christianity is again under attack, there is again a need for these gifts. The Spirit of God is generous. I was also struck by the statement that Charismatic Spirituality is contemplative. I have always found that to be true, but never heard it stated so positively. Of course it it true, because one of the actions of the Holy Spirit is to help us have a full personal relationship with God in the person of Jesus. AMEN!"

Anyone ever been to one of these services? The people I've met that do attend such events are nuts...sort of like new age cult members. They even refer to the holy spirit as HIM/HER. I thought that the Holy Spirit was male, as God is the Father and Jesus is male, the word made flesh. Maybe I am wrong?
I saw a thread on CAF where a Charismatic Catholic went to the TLM and they were amazed at how they felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. I wasn't surprised that someone would encounter the Holy Spirit in hte TLM.
:) :) :)   
(11-09-2012, 02:06 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]hahahahah so I was looking at CAF and there is a thread demanding that there be a subforum dedicated to Charismatic weirdos. The posts are seriously priceless!

"But honestly, God has showed us that our Charismatic form of worship is valid to Him, therefore it does please God. Guitars, Liturgical dancers, talking before Mass, shorts and flip-flops, these things all have their place within the Catholic Mass just the same as suits and ties, incense, bells, and the Latin form. These are all the traditions of the Catholic Church, which means one thing..!!! The Traditional Catholicism Forum IS the place to converse about our Charismatic Mass."

"WooHoo! Just back from the Charismatic Conference I attended this weekend, Yes there was clapping, singing, a little jumping around, healing Masses, a Prayer Room and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, speaking, praising, and praying in tongues and "word gifts". The reverence at the two Masses was profound, the speakers were inspiring, challenging and funny (an a lot of fun), and it was all amazingly orthodox! Not a hererodox idea in the place that I heard! What did happen for me was some continuing conversion/metanoia and joyfulness in being a Catholic Christian. There was real confirmation that the Holy Spirit is involved and we need Him/Her to be.

It was pointed out that there is a real need these days for the Charismatic Gifts of the Spirit. They were much in evidence in the early church, then waned after the advent of Constantine and declaration of the ""whole" world (as they knew it) to be Christian. Now that Christianity is again under attack, there is again a need for these gifts. The Spirit of God is generous. I was also struck by the statement that Charismatic Spirituality is contemplative. I have always found that to be true, but never heard it stated so positively. Of course it it true, because one of the actions of the Holy Spirit is to help us have a full personal relationship with God in the person of Jesus. AMEN!"

Anyone ever been to one of these services? The people I've met that do attend such events are nuts...sort of like new age cult members. They even refer to the holy spirit as HIM/HER. I thought that the Holy Spirit was male, as God is the Father and Jesus is male, the word made flesh. Maybe I am wrong?

Maybe because it is the Internet, but part of me wonders if this is a parody?  Or is it like Westboro Baptist, and beyond parody?  ???

Amen Brother!

How is it that they are all able to speak in tongues? I've never witnessed tongues at an OF let alone an EF.

Errrr...I went to downtown LA for Dia de Los Muertos on Olvera st and this old Mexican lady was SHOUTING prayers in the side chapel. She was in the first pew on her knees holding a prayer book of some sort and she was just yelling/mumbling something. I am not very fluent in Spanish, so I couldn't tell you and my wife (Mexican who is very fluent) couldn't understand the monotonous mumbling either. Maybe she attends those Charismatic gathers.
(11-09-2012, 03:31 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]Errrr...I went to downtown LA for Dia de Los Muertos on Olvera st and this old Mexican lady was SHOUTING prayers in the side chapel. She was in the first pew on her knees holding a prayer book of some sort and she was just yelling/mumbling something. I am not very fluent in Spanish, so I couldn't tell you and my wife (Mexican who is very fluent) couldn't understand the monotonous mumbling either. Maybe she attends those Charismatic gathers.

The only charismatic dealings I've ever had have been with Mexicans and Central Americans. Pretty disheartening.
(11-09-2012, 03:31 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]How is it that they are all able to speak in tongues? I've never witnessed tongues at an OF let alone an EF.

Errrr...I went to downtown LA for Dia de Los Muertos on Olvera st and this old Mexican lady was SHOUTING prayers in the side chapel. She was in the first pew on her knees holding a prayer book of some sort and she was just yelling/mumbling something. I am not very fluent in Spanish, so I couldn't tell you and my wife (Mexican who is very fluent) couldn't understand the monotonous mumbling either. Maybe she attends those Charismatic gathers.
Maybe she was an indigenous person praying in her own language.
???
Since the Holy Ghost is a spiriti He has neither gender. 
Pentacostalism is growing among the Mexicans and the Mexican-americans, I've been told by older Catholics from Texas.  It's seen more and more, but that doesn't mean the lady praying is necessarily an Asuza Street regular. Here in Chicago and other places, the drug trafickers have made up a Satanic sort of copy of the Mexican day of the dead influenced religion. Again that doesn't mean that woman. It's all just very peculiar.

tim
(11-09-2012, 11:23 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Pentacostalism is growing among the Mexicans and the Mexican-americans, I've been told by older Catholics from Texas.  It's seen more and more, but that doesn't mean the lady praying is necessarily an Asuza Street regular. Here in Chicago and other places, the drug trafickers have made up a Satanic sort of copy of the Mexican day of the dead influenced religion. Again that doesn't mean that woman. It's all just very peculiar.

tim

Tim, this is true in my experience as well.  I live in an area with a large Latino immigrant population, and in fact the TLM I attend begins after a Spanish-language NO, so if I show up early (or if the NO runs late), I get to experience a bit of it.  It's really an exuberant, charismatic liturgy.  I gotta say, even though it doesn't do much at all for me personally, I can definitely see it's appeal for others.  They have these robust, thrumming mariachi guitars, and dozens of tambourines, and Spanish is a lovely sung language.  One thing about the singing is that the whole congregation really gets into it and sings, unlike the languid unsynchronized mumbling of the surburban Anglos during the English NO.  There is a lot of swaying and hand-holding and clapping during the hymns, but it's so vibrant that it kind of defies the criticism of "lameness" that applies to garden variety NO stylings.

Given that the Church in America is losing Anglo members and gaining Latinos, I don't think there will be anything other than a "high church"/"low divide" in the future.  Even if traditionalism and orthodoxy gain ground, there will still be a large chunk of the Church's population that will want nothing much to do with it and want to stick with a pentecostal NO.  One thing you can say about the charismatic NO, which I guess is thriving in Africa and Latin America, is it's not as boring and banal as the North American ones.  Those cultures have taken great advantage of the open-ended form of the NO and really made it their own.  The NO of bearded and birkenstocked "Father Bob" will probably die out, but not in other parishes.  The bishops no doubt realize this, and that is why Vatican II can never die.
Pages: 1 2 3 4