FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Abp. Dolan: need for Confession, re-institution of Friday abstinence?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Isn't the current law still that one must abstain on Fridays?  Only that the concession is made that another penance can take it's place?

I'm all for it, of course.  I just thought the current code more or less said you must abstain, or at least do a penance worthy of abstinence if you choose not to abstain.

Confession before and after all masses, and every saturday in the morning, afternoon and evening.  That's how to roll.
How about some good teaching and preaching from the pulpit on sin?  Whole parishes could go weekly but confession isn't going to be any good if it's a "chat" where excuses are made for behavior that's offensive to God and there is no real contrition or firm purpose of amendment. 
(11-13-2012, 11:50 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]How about some good teaching and preaching from the pulpit on sin?  Whole parishes could go weekly but confession isn't going to be any good if it's a "chat" where excuses are made for behavior that's offensive to God and there is no real contrition or firm purpose of amendment. 

Yes, this would be essential if a parish was to push confession.
(11-13-2012, 11:50 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]How about some good teaching and preaching from the pulpit on sin?  Whole parishes could go weekly but confession isn't going to be any good if it's a "chat" where excuses are made for behavior that's offensive to God and there is no real contrition or firm purpose of amendment. 

Right on mark.  What good is an uptick in invalid Confessions.

The Cardinal could start this by confessing his lukewarmness and general scandal he causes every moment.
(11-14-2012, 12:12 AM)kingtheoden Wrote: [ -> ]

Right on mark.  What good is an uptick in invalid Confessions.

The Cardinal could start this by confessing his lukewarmness and general scandal he causes every moment.

lol!
I heard the speech this morning (yay, XM radio...).
Well, some of the speech.  I got as far as, "Blessed John XXIII courageously convened the Second Vatican Council..." and then my eyes glazed over--probably not a good thing, since I was driving at the time.

I guess it's all about baby-steps.
(11-13-2012, 04:47 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: [ -> ]Let's pray that the Cardinal makes good on these proposals, for the benefit of all the faithful.

Well, he can't by himself impose this on all American bishops. Though he could do it by himself, for the Archdiocese of New York. Relevant: according to Michael Davies, there is no basis for national episcopal conferences; all the decisions they make are decisions that each individual bishop could make for his own diocese.

(11-13-2012, 09:39 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't the current law still that one must abstain on Fridays?  Only that the concession is made that another penance can take it's place?

My understanding is that canon law sets abstaining from meat as the default, but the U.S. bishops decided to have no default option per se.

(11-14-2012, 12:24 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]I got as far as, "Blessed John XXIII courageously convened the Second Vatican Council..." and then my eyes glazed over--probably not a good thing, since I was driving at the time.

Well, afterwards he more or less criticizes the fruits of the Council. Baby steps, indeed.
(11-14-2012, 12:24 AM)Texican Wrote: [ -> ]I heard the speech this morning (yay, XM radio...).
Well, some of the speech.  I got as far as, "Blessed John XXIII courageously convened the Second Vatican Council..." and then my eyes glazed over--probably not a good thing, since I was driving at the time.

I guess it's all about baby-steps.

It's not baby steps.  It's the customary step forward (though in this case I don't even know if I'd call it that, since he didn't actually say he wasn't going to do it) after the customary 3 or 4 steps back.  Dolan needs to give Catholics who are paying attention the usual table scraps after an egregiously scandalous event like the Al Smith dinner so that we don't give up on him. 

We'll probably get another "step forward" and then have Assissi IV, followed by another step forward, Assissi V, and so on and so forth until someone in charge wakes up or God decides to fry the whole lot of us.
Funny- I just posted about Confession and them read this. Most definitely we need this preached taught and offered more. Confession is a super builder of faith in my expirience. Like fr says, gotta clean some souls!
(11-14-2012, 12:41 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]We'll probably get another "step forward" and then have Assissi IV, followed by another step forward, Assissi V, and so on and so forth until someone in charge wakes up or God decides to fry the whole lot of us.

Pages: 1 2