FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Confession Availability Times
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was just wondering why do many parishes (diocesan) offer this by appointment or only on Sat. How can a priest knowing we need to be in a state of grace to receive the Holy Eucharist not offer sacramental confession often? Even deeper, is there a hidden agenda to bring Gods judgement upon them? Who would make an appointment for a 5 min confession even if they know they can't make Sat allotted "30 min" time slot?  The parish I attend offers it before every Mass and offers many Masses. In fact why do some parishes only offer 1 divine office or daily mass or communion service,  and then only a few Masses on Sun. It makes me wonder what in the world that priest does, esp with all the pastoral coordinator and ministry teams. It's really odd to me that the priest seems so far removed from his people he shepherds. What does he do then? What about Adoration? When I reverted, I once called a local parish and asked if and when the have Adoration, the person didn't know what I was talking about? I thought she couldn't hear me so I spoke a little louder and clearer and said Eucharist Adoration... She totally didn't know what it was. Very strange. But I guess I didn't know what Benediction was until I looked it up.
I wish my parish was the norm and not the rare devout by the books church. Is it me or does it seem like even more the gap is widening pushing people into extremes when we just want to live Catholic? Since when did Confession availability become so extreme or even the Confessional? If people want face to face guidance make an appointment to seek counsel. Confession needs to be available often, in the proper setting, in persona Christi. I understand certian circumstance would be cause for confession sans confessional but come on, the churches around here seem to be doing well enough to have a proper confessional.
There's no hidden agenda to bring God's judgment on others by ignoring the sacrament of penance. On the contrary; the reason confession is unavailable is because the priests no longer believe in God's judgment.
(11-14-2012, 01:40 AM)candyapple Wrote: [ -> ]In fact why do some parishes only offer 1 divine office or daily mass or communion service,  and then only a few Masses on Sun.

If there is only one priest in the parish it's because a priest is only allowed to celebrate one Mass a day unless there is a pressing pastoral need. Since one is not obligated to attend daily Mass, there is no pressing pastoral need. On Sundays and Holy Days a priest may celebrate twice and, IIRC, thrice with special permission if there is a need.
Oh, I didn't know they can only offer one Mass per day. Somehow I thought they chose how many to pray. I guess that would be pretty draining.
in the past I have made it my business to go to confession when I needed to. When there is limited availability for confession, I have made appointments, waylaid priests who appeared unoccupied when confession was only on Saturday. Remember, we all have only one immortal soul. Lets not blow it for lack of going to confession when we could.     
For years I lived in towns where I was blessed to have confession available 24/7. No such luck now! :'((
If St. John Vianney spent 14-18 hours a day in the confessional back in the 1800's, than how much more do we need confession these days?
Oh, God won't really judge you for that. Just be a a good person. Be nice. That's what's matters.
(11-14-2012, 03:55 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, God won't really judge you for that. Just be a a good person. Be nice. That's what's matters.
Is that what you really think?
Wouldn't that be sweet! 24/7 priest available for confession! Wow. Was that in US?
Pages: 1 2 3