FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Nigerian Catholics Respond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After his parish in southern Nigeria was desecrated on November 4, Monsignor Obiora F Ike called on his parishoners to observe a week of prayer and penance. This is what the Catholics in Nigeria are about when something like this happens. How do we respond when we are attacked in a much less violent manner or when someone offends us in a much less insulting manner? maybe we should learn from the Nigerians.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/n...d-fasting/
(11-14-2012, 05:09 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]After his parish in southern Nigeria was desecrated on November 4, Monsignor Obiora F Ike called on his parishoners to observe a week of prayer and penance. This is what the Catholics in Nigeria are about when something like this happens. How do we respond when we are attacked in a much less violent manner or when someone offends us in a much less insulting manner? maybe we should learn from the Nigerians.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/n...d-fasting/

This aligns with what I've heard about the Nigerian faithful through the FSSP priests who have served at the apostolate there. They are incredibly devout, prayerful, and penitential. They make us look like a bunch of pampered wimps.
(11-14-2012, 12:34 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]They make us look like a bunch of pampered wimps.
Speak for yourself.
(11-14-2012, 02:52 PM)Montgisard Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2012, 12:34 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]They make us look like a bunch of pampered wimps.
Speak for yourself.

Sorry. Didn't realize you walk half a day each way to get to Mass, engage in all-night devotions reciting 2000 Hail Marys, live in 100+ degree heat without complaint, and get upset if your priest doesn't preach for at least an hour. If that describes you, I apologize for insulting your personal holiness.

My intention wasn't to accuse anyone. It was just an observation of how the Nigerian Catholics live without Western comforts yet appear to be MORE thankful and devoted to Almighty God.
(11-14-2012, 03:15 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]
Speak for yourself.

Sorry. Didn't realize you walk half a day each way to get to Mass, engage in all-night devotions reciting 2000 Hail Marys, live in 100+ degree heat without complaint, and get upset if your priest doesn't preach for at least an hour. If that describes you, I apologize for insulting your personal holiness.

My intention wasn't to accuse anyone. It was just an observation of how the Nigerian Catholics live without Western comforts yet appear to be MORE thankful and devoted to Almighty God.

LOL! Don't worry rbj, reasonable people got that you were correctly speaking for us in the Western World. We are spoiled in many ways.
(11-14-2012, 03:15 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: [ -> ]
Speak for yourself.

I have heard about some of these practices, too.
Prayer, Penance, Fasting and...Crusade
This is what Archbishop Man-Oso Ndagoso had to say to the people.

http://www.zenit.org/article-35964?l=english