FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Australian campaign to break confessional seal, how long until USA follows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Story from CatholicCulture.org
Australia: a campaign to break the confessional sea

Quote:Politicians, pundits, and even a few dissenting Catholic clerics are calling upon Catholic priests to break the confessional seal in sex-abuse cases.

Attorney general Nicola Roxon said that a federal commission investigating sexual abuse would take up the question of whether priests should be required to disclose information from sacramental confessions. Prime Minister Julia Gillard also said that the commission should discuss the matter. But Senator Nick Xenophon, a persistent critic of the Catholic Church, was more candid, saying that the government’s recognition of the confessional seal is “a medieval law that needs to change"

Cardinal George Pell of Sydney has stated that the Church will never allow priests to disclose what they heard in the confessional. But the cardinal said that priests who suspect someone is involved in abuse should refuse to hear that person’s confession. One Sydney priest who works with street children disclosed that he never hears confessions because he would want to disclose any report of sexual abuse to police.

Bishop Geoffrey Robinson, a retired auxiliary of the Sydney archdiocese, added to the public furor when he criticized Cardinal Pell’s stand, and said that he would break the confessional seal for the “greater good” of reporting an abuser. And another prominent Catholic dissident, Father Bob Maguire, said that he too would inform police about a penitent who confessed to sexual abuse.

(Bishop Robinson, who stepped down in 2004, at the age of 66, has been an outspoken critic of Church teachings. The Australian bishops’ conference took the highly unusual step of issuing a caution about a book the bishop had written, saying that the work misrepresented the Catholic position on "among other things, the nature of Tradition, the inspiration of the Holy Scripture, the infallibility of the Councils and the Pope, the authority of the Creeds, the nature of the ministerial priesthood and central elements of the Church’s moral teaching." Father Maguire, an elderly priest who had long resisted efforts by the Melbourne archdiocese to force his retirement, also has a history of conflict with Church authority—including an episode in 2005 when he “heard confessions” on a radio call-in show.)

An editorial in The Australian argued that the heated debate about the confessional seal was “entirely confected” for political purposes, in a “proxy war” aimed at opposition leader Tony Abbott, whose Catholicism has been a frequent topic of discussion. The Australian expressed confidence that the federal investigating commission would avoid a direct confrontation with the Church. “Those who see an opportunity to discredit the Catholic Church, however, will milk it for all it is worth,” the editorial said.

Given the secular, anti-Catholic nature of the media in the United States as well as dissident Catholic politicians such as Vice President Joe Biden, former Speaker of The House Nancy Pelosi and Senator John Kerry,  how long will it be until this issue arises here?  ???
it'd be an uphill battle, at least in this environment. Here in the U.S., Confessions are protected by the law as priviledged, much like interactions with one's doctor or lawyer. It's called the Priest-penitent priviledge, and applies to interactions with ministers of all the other faiths as well. I imagine there would be quite a backlash. In about ten more years or so, who knows?
This doesn't bother me that much.

I don't think the seal should ever be broken.  That's pretty clear teaching anyways.  However, the pedo running needs to stop.  Just not this way.

Wasn't there some sort of movement to prosecute the pope with sex crimes or hiding them or something? 

I've got no problem with the secular authorities running through the ranks of the Church, from top to bottom, and properly punishing the guilty.  It's obvious that most Churchmen can't take these steps. 
(11-15-2012, 06:34 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]This doesn't bother me that much.

I don't think the seal should ever be broken.  That's pretty clear teaching anyways.  However, the pedo running needs to stop.  Just not this way.

Wasn't there some sort of movement to prosecute the pope with sex crimes or hiding them or something? 

I've got no problem with the secular authorities running through the ranks of the Church, from top to bottom, and properly punishing the guilty.  It's obvious that most Churchmen can't take these steps. 

In theory I agree with you, but the problem is that this will be used by the secular government and media to have a field day with the Church. Already we have politicians publicly calling for Cardinal Pell to stand down.
Well gosh, with the gummint knowing everything in everybody's medical record, there really ain't no doctor-patient privilege no more, so it shouldn't be a shock to see the clergy-penitent privilege going the way of the dodo bird too. And them lawyers--ain't no good reason to keep on making exceptions for them and their clients, neither. Heckfire, nobody's got no more rights to speak of no more, anyhow, might as well get used to it.
(11-15-2012, 06:39 PM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2012, 06:34 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]This doesn't bother me that much.

In theory I agree with you, but the problem is that this will be used by the secular government and media to have a field day with the Church. Already we have politicians publicly calling for Cardinal Pell to stand down.

Let them.

Really, let them.

I think the chastisement could very well come in the form of the state running through the vatican with a few machine guns.  

I mean, it's certainly preferred that the dissident hierarchy just convert on their own, but from what we've seen so far, it sounds more reasonable to me that big daddy is gonna clean the Church's house.  That would be fitting, I think.
(11-15-2012, 06:41 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Let them.

Really, let them.

I'm compelled to agree. It's honestly the only way the child butt-raping and covering up are ever going to stop.
Oops, apologies to Poche who already posted this topic earlier. next time I'll refresh the page before I post something.

I denounce myself... :fish:  :LOL:
(11-15-2012, 06:41 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2012, 06:39 PM)Aragon Wrote: [ -> ]

Let them.

Really, let them.

I think the chastisement could very well come in the form of the state running through the vatican with a few machine guns.  

I mean, it's certainly preferred that the dissident hierarchy just convert on their own, but from what we've seen so far, it sounds more reasonable to me that big daddy is gonna clean the Church's house.  That would be fitting, I think.

So let's have governments that protect abortion and promote sodomite marriages chastise the Church hierarchy?  I think not.  I bet there are far more pedophiles among State employees than the Church too. 
Is it possible that Peter is the voice of reason in this thread?!
Pages: 1 2