FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: John Hughes, Archbishop of New York (1842-1864)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: DaggerJohn.jpg]

CollegeCatholic and I were speaking of the Irish-born Archbishop Hughes, who headed the Archdiocese of New York ages ago.

In 1850, His Excellency said:
Abp. Hughes, The Decline of Protestantism and its Causes, 1850 Wrote:The object we hope to accomplish is to convert all Pagan nations, and all Protestant nations...There is no secrecy in all this...Our mission [is] to convert the world--including the inhabitants of the United States--the people of the cities, and the people of the country...the Legislatures, the Senate, the Cabinet, the President, and all!

In the archdiocesan newspaper, His Excellency said:
Freemans Journal, March 4, 1848 Wrote:Protestantism is effete, powerless, dying out...and conscious that its last moment is come when it is fairly set, face to face, with Catholic truth.

I certainly appreciate the archbishop's frank, unequivocal words. Pope Gregory XVI picked a good man to head an important diocese in the fledgling United States.
What a great leader.

Disclosure: I had to look up effete.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:He also campaigned actively on behalf of Irish immigrants, and attempted to secure state support for religious schools. He protested against the United States Government for using the King James Bible in public schools, claiming that it was an attack on Catholic constitutional rights of double taxation, because Catholics would need to pay taxes for public school and also pay for the private school to send their children, to avoid the Protestant translation of the Bible. When he failed to secure state support, he founded an independent Catholic school system which was taken into the Catholic Church's core at the Third Plenary Council of Baltimore, 1884, which mandated that all Parishes have a parochial school and that all Catholic children be sent to those schools.
Freemans Journal, March 4, 1848 Wrote:Protestantism is effete, powerless, dying out...and conscious that its last moment is come when it is fairly set, face to face, with Catholic truth.

Very prophetic words, given the time he said it.  Time has borne this out.

(11-16-2012, 09:30 PM)Parmandur Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree that falsehood of Protestantism cannot stand  against the truth of Catholicism.  But one wonders why many Catholics in Latin America have abandoned the Catholic Faith for those heretical, evangelical,  mega churches.
(11-16-2012, 09:33 PM)Christknight104 Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree that falsehood of Protestantism cannot stand  against the truth of Catholicism.  But one wonders why many Catholics in Latin America have abandoned the Catholic Faith for those heretical, evangelical,  mega churches.

The insufficient number of priests is a likely factor.  "Leave a parish for twenty years without a priest, and they will end by worshiping the beasts there" as the Cure de Ars said.
Asked and answered. Perhaps the Catholics in Latin America were not being presented with the Catholic Faith in their Catholic churches . . .

The above could be said about the Modernist Vatican II Church too.

Good Ol' "Dagger Dan" Hughes. They sure don't ordain em like this anymore.
(11-16-2012, 10:45 PM)maldon Wrote: [ -> ]Asked and answered. Perhaps the Catholics in Latin America were not being presented with the Catholic Faith in their Catholic churches . . .
  Exactly.  The social gospel message has replaced the idea of preaching for converting and strengthening of the faith.

Joe
In 1836, he had a good debate with the Presbyterian minister John Breckinridge called:

"A discussion of the question, Is the Roman Catholic religion, in any or in all its principles or doctrines, inimical to civil or religious liberty? And of the question, Is the Presbyterian religion, in any or in all its principles or doctrines, inimical to civil or religious liberty?"

Hughes' argument was that the Catholic religion was not inimical to religious liberty (you can find the transcript in print). In his letter accepting the debate he said:

"But, sir, I am not only an American citizen, but also a Roman Catholic. I was born under the scourge of Protestant persecution, of which my fathers, in common with their Catholic countrymen, had been the victims for ages. Hence, I know the value of that civil and religious liberty which our happy government secures to all; and I regard, with feelings of abhorrence,  those who would  sacrilegiously attempt, directly or indirectly, immediately or remotely, to deprive any citizen of those inestimable blessings. God alone is the lord of conscience.  As a Catholic, I trust I should be ready to renounce liberty, and even life, sooner than renounce one doctrine of the faith of the Church — for, without  faith, it is impossible to please God.  But what is faith without  charity ? And is not charity the love of God, as God ; — and the love of our neighbours as ourselves ? Let other men endeavour to serve God, and save their souls, in whatever religion they believe to be true — their rights are as sacred as mine."

Pages: 1 2