FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Where is the continuity of the Council? By Bishop Fellay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Where is the continuity of the Council?

At Assisi? Kissing the Koran?

Bishop Fellay's Paris sermon
[Image: bishop_fellay_lourdes_sermon225.jpg]

11-16-2012 |
On November 11, 2012, Bishop Bernard Fellay celebrated Mass in the Church of St. Nicholas du Chardonnet in Paris. During a strong, clear sermon, he reviewed these “last few months of sufferings, troubles and anguish in our Society”, declared that we were “at the same point as Archbishop Lefebvre in 1974” and asked “where Rome saw continuity in the Second Vatican Council? In Assisi? In the kissing of the Koran? Where? What lessons should we learn from these internal sufferings and the Roman contradictions?”

Full Sermon (brace yourselves):
http://www.dici.org/en/documents/faith-c...in-crisis/
I lost confidence in Bishop Fellay in 2009 and he's only continued to live up to that lack of confidence.  I'll be more interested in hearing from the Superior General of the SSPX when it's not Bishop Fellay. 

(11-17-2012, 02:20 AM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]I lost confidence in Bishop Fellay in 2009 and he's only continued to live up to that lack of confidence.  I'll be more interested in hearing from the Superior General of the SSPX when it's not Bishop Fellay. 

There are very many like you. If he decides to stick around as Superior General for the remaining six years, I fear that some will lose interest in the SSPX altogether.
(11-17-2012, 02:20 AM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]I lost confidence in Bishop Fellay in 2009 and he's only continued to live up to that lack of confidence. 

Why?
(11-17-2012, 02:20 AM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]I lost confidence in Bishop Fellay in 2009 and he's only continued to live up to that lack of confidence.  I'll be more interested in hearing from the Superior General of the SSPX when it's not Bishop Fellay. 
And the Jews lost Faith in Jesus because he did not wage rebellion against the Romans. Really now, has it become so divisive in Trad-dom that a litmus test must be passed in order to be considered a good Traddy? This divisiveness is going to destroy the Traditional movement. Just as the father of all lies would want!
(11-17-2012, 09:17 AM)Dmorgan Wrote: [ -> ]
And the Jews lost Faith in Jesus because he did not wage rebellion against the Romans. Really now, has it become so divisive in Trad-dom that a litmus test must be passed in order to be considered a good Traddy? This divisiveness is going to destroy the Traditional movement. Just as the father of all lies would want!

Our Lord didn't contradict himself or play footsy with corrupt religious leaders and he certainly didn't agree with anyone watering down the faith. 

I find it ironic that Bishop Fellay is now sounding like "the old" Bishop Fellay who sounded a lot like Bishop Williamson.  While Bishop Fellay wants to ask where the "continuity" is in the Council (something he seemed to be agreeing with a few months ago) the rest of us are scratching our heads at the lack of continuity in Bishop Fellay in the last few years especially 

I would also say that there is no traditional "movement" there is  stance that is traditional and people adopt it and abandon it all the time.  Some people give up and lose their faith or go Novus Ordo and others discover the extent of the crisis and go from "conservative" to "trad" and gradually jettison the novelties and learn the traditions of the Church.
To people who will not compromise, even in non-essentials, compromise is verboten. To people who reject authority, obedience is verboten. "And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same?" Doing what your superior wants only when it suits you is not obedience. Where's the continuity? Where are the internal resources in the SSPX to be able to bring their people to reconciliation? It seems their entire constitution has latent in itself a rejection of authority. That's why there is the existential crisis. And Fellay doesn't have the personal charism of Lefebvre, who could have brought many. Fellay is just "average", and so very easy to reject as not having the authentic vision. There is a true question whether the SSPX could ever pull this off without major bleeding. Trads need a "come to Jesus" moment. God help us!
(11-17-2012, 03:58 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]Trads need a "come to Jesus" moment.

More trad bashing? As forum rules state, "We get smeared everywhere else; it won't happen here."
(11-17-2012, 04:46 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-17-2012, 03:58 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]Trads need a "come to Jesus" moment.

More trad bashing? As forum rules state, "We get smeared everywhere else; it won't happen here."

I am not bashing anyone. Is it not a Christian truth that all are called to conversion, and continual conversion at that? The SSPX is going through a pretty substantial crisis, and the reaction from Fellay seems to be, "No problem here. It is all about the Vatican's notion of continuity ..." Is he shoring up his hardline followers? I don't know. We should be able to look at this ordeal with Williamson, who now will be roaming the world handing out ordinations, as a huge wake-up call. Another significant split in this bastion of tradition. Perhaps you understanding my comment as a "bash" shows just how averse we are to self examination, self criticism. As time goes on a people become much more comfortable with their irregular situation, we have to ask, "How is this resolved?" And we can't be so prideful to think the solution is always with "them". That's the come to Jesus moment. The minute Fellay started anything even hinting at something remotely even being similar to a "conciliar" view, such as DH being a restricted freedom, the trad world went ape. We have to examine our attitudes and assumptions. Each of us can just pick up and go to a different parish. The SSPX, though, has a whole organization that is born and bred with practically no connection with the Church's structure of authority. Like Card. Burke essentially said, it will be a time of adjustment for them actually getting used to being under someone with authority. It is hard to make that move. That's why they need to start prepping their people to get used to the idea that the SSPX is under the Pope. The reaction from the "hardline" shows there are many problems right inside the SSPX. So, no bash, just reality, and the need to hit our knees and beg God to help us. Division amongst baptized Christians is a poison. We shouldn't play footsy with any notion that betrays truth and maintains the divisions.

"What lessons should we learn from these internal sufferings and the Roman contradictions?"
(11-17-2012, 04:46 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: [ -> ]

Tell me something new.
Pages: 1 2 3