FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The word New
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering with the promotion of the New Evangelation ( not that evangization is bad- but its not new) and the New Mass, (The reformed Novus Ordo) ...What's with all this buzzword new? I can think of many new terms with new. What do we make of this? Change is what I gather. How is this word new really going to impact the Catholic church and the body, the people once the novelty wears off? God doesn't change, people change. Is it to make God more accessable to the changed people? Are theses changes eventually inching further from God and truth in the Catholic church in an effort to bring God closer to many and at what cost? Is a disservice really happening for all?

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg33815940

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...146.0.html
In a nutshell
New Pentecost … new evangelization … new springtime ... civilization of love!
by Martha Fernández-Sardinia
Feb 2012

There is an important connection between receiving power, evangelizing and changing the world. I believe it is safe to say: “No Pentecost, no evangelization; no evangelization, no springtime; no springtime, no civilization of love.” The opposite is true too: “New Pentecost, new evangelization; new evangelization, new springtime; new springtime, civilization of love.” The church has alluded to this for years, and as recently as last month.
Archbishop Pietro Sambi, the Holy See’s ambassador to the United States, expressed his hope that Pope Benedict XVI’s recent visit would bring “a new light, a new Pentecost to the church.” The pope himself prayed for this at St. Patrick’s Cathedral: “Let us implore from God the grace of a new Pentecost for the church in America. May tongues of fire, combining burning love of God and neighbor with zeal for the spread of Christ’s kingdom, descend on all present!” he exclaimed. This was the second time he did so during his trip. He recognized that “the Spirit never ceases to pour out His abundant gifts, to awaken new vocations and missions and to guide the church, as our Lord promised in this morning’s Gospel, into the fullness of truth.”

Did the pope mention this new Pentecost simply due to the forthcoming celebration of Pentecost? Surely, the solemnity of Pentecost was on his mind, a special feast too often overlooked, perhaps because we see more as the “end” of the Easter season, rather than as the “beginning” of a renewed church, ready to go out into the whole world with good news. Unfortunately, when the purpose of Pentecost is missed so too are its blessings. But, I believe the pope’s repeated references to a new Pentecost come from a conviction he has held for some time now: he believes we need it! And he sees it already happening.

One sign of this new Pentecost is the rise of various movements and ecclesial communities throughout the world which have put the church in movement, that is, in motion, on the go, in the 20th and 21st centuries. Pope Benedict XVI has taken notice. In 1998, as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, he inaugurated the World Congress of the Ecclesial Movements in Rome, delivering a talk titled “Church Movements and their Place in Theology.” In 1999, he spoke to bishops gathered in Rome for a seminar on “The Ecclesial Movements in the Pastoral Concern of the Bishops,” touching on topics such as the relation between old and new charisms, the institutional and the charismatic dimensions of the church, the church’s mission in a non-Christian society and more.

In 2006, Pope Benedict XVI met with leaders of various ecclesial movements. He clearly has noticed new outpourings of the Holy Spirit and the tremendous fruit they are bearing. In the above-mentioned speeches, compiled in New Outpourings of The Spirit, he points out that the Holy Spirit is “at it again” when he says: “For me personally it was a marvelous event when at the beginning of the ’70s I first came into close contact with the movements like the Neo-Catechumens, Communione e Liberazione and the Focolarini and thus experienced the enthusiasm and verve with which they lived out their faith, what had been vouchsafed to them … Suddenly here was something nobody had planned on. The Holy Spirit had, so to say, spoken up for himself again ... In young people especially, the faith was surging up in its entirety, with no ifs and buts, with no excuses or way out, experienced as a favor and as a precious life-giving gift.”

Not wishing to ignore what the Spirit is saying to the churches (cf. Revelation 2:1-3:22), but wanting to discern the movements’ proper place and impact on the church and the world today, Pope Benedict XVI has stated that “The church must make the most of these realities, and at the same time she must guide them with pastoral wisdom, so that with the variety of their different gifts they may continue in the best possible way to building up the community” pointing out practical criteria that may be useful to both pastors and the movements themselves.

Pope Benedict XVI is not alone. Pope John Paul II also had noticed this new move of the Spirit. He recognized the need for a new Pentecost, leading to a new evangelization, to a new springtime for Christianity, and to a civilization of love. So did Pope John XXIII, who prayed at the eve of the Second Vatican Council for a new outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the church “as by a new Pentecost.”

Why is the Holy Spirit “at it again”? What is the purpose of the new manifestations of his powerful presence in people’s personal lives and in the life of the church? It is to renew the face of the earth. (cf. Ps 104:30) This Pentecost, properly understood, is new, not in the sense of “doing away with the old” and bringing about something “totally novel” and “unheard of” — for the Spirit of God would never usher in a “new Gospel” or encourage faith expressions that are contrary to the living tradition of the church. Rather, “new” is to be understood as “renewed,” “reviving,” “bringing about again,” fostering, welcoming and ushering in the same type of life-changing outpouring of the Holy Spirit that took place in Jerusalem almost 2,000 years ago when the first disciples received “power from on high” in what remains one of those most powerfully significant events in the life of the church. And it was not meant to be a one-time occurrence, but a living reality for every Christian and every faith community, so that Christ’s promise may be realized in every one of us: “You will receive power from on high when the Holy Spirit comes, and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all of Judea and Samaria, and even to the ends of the earth.”

That was the purpose of the first Pentecost. That is the purpose of a new Pentecost! The “New Pentecost” is needed for a “New Evangelization.” It is aimed at allowing the Holy Spirit to do for us what he did for the early church, changing frightened and timid believers into confident and caring evangelizers, willing to go the extra mile, even to the ends of the earth, and to pay the ultimate price — even martyrdom — for the sake of spreading the Gospel and establishing the church throughout the world, as seen in the Acts of the Apostles. We each need “power from on high” to fully live the life of discipleship and become effective witnesses of Christ — at home, in our neighborhoods and work places. Then will our “new evangelization” bring about a “new springtime” in our own spirits, in the church and in the world that will make way for a “civilization of love.”

Martha Fernández-Sardina is director of the archdiocesan Office for Evangelization and is an international bilingual speaker. Look for part two of this column to appear in a future issue of ‘Today’s Catholic.’

Full Article:
http://www.satodayscatholic.com/052308_Martha.aspx

I feel a "new outpouring" from reading the article above:  Puke
(11-17-2012, 07:25 PM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote: [ -> ]I feel a "new outpouring" from reading the article above:   Puke
lol
In fairness to the word 'new', Our Lord said 'I make all things new'.  To my mind that's almost a command to leave things as He gave them to us, through the Church, and let Him do the renewal!
“Behold, I make all things new” (Rv 21:5).

Bl John Paul II, Novo Millennio Inuente Wrote:Over the years, I have often repeated the summons to the new evangelization. I do so again now, especially in order to insist that we must rekindle in ourselves the impetus of the beginnings and allow ourselves to be filled with the ardour of the apostolic preaching which followed Pentecost. We must revive in ourselves the burning conviction of Paul, who cried out: "Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel" (1 Cor 9:16).

http://www.ewtn.com/new_evangelization/index.htm

http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2mil3.htm

http://www.ewtn.com/new_evangelization/Ratzinger.htm

http://www.jp2shrine.org/jp/en/ev/benedict.html
Thanks for the links
And then there is that whole Novum Testamentum thing .

Also, I believe one of the typical hymns to the Blessed Sacrament refers to the older rites passing away and ceding place to the new.

I think the problem is not with "New" but with 'unhinged'.
As one who has worked in the automotive industry, the word "new" means very little to me.
(11-17-2012, 11:19 PM)seanipie Wrote: [ -> ]As one who has worked in the automotive industry, the word "new" means very little to me.

How does "used" grab you?
Pages: 1 2