FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Thanksgiving Friday Indult
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Everybody remember this Friday Venerable Pius XII's decree that allowed American Catholic's dispensation of the abstinence law. As far as I know, his decree hasn't been abrogated (not like the USCCB cares if anyone is stlll doing a penance on Fridays. Only +Dolan has pushed for meatless Fridays and Ember Days.)
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/11...lt_21.html
I don't want to do a full copy of the RC blogpost. It's not really fair to them.
It seems it may have been abrogated:

Paul VI, Paenitemini Wrote:II. 2. Apart from the faculties referred to in VI and VIII [which deal with bishops conferences making subsitutions] regarding the manner of fulfilling the precept of penitence on such days, abstinence is to be observed on every Friday which does not fall on a day of obligation, while abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday or, according to local practice, on the first day of 'Great Lent' and on Good Friday.
----
V. All privileges and indults, whether general or particular, are abrogated with these norms, but nothing is changed either regarding the vows of any physical or moral person or regarding the constitutions and rules of any approved religious congregation or institute.
----

X. 1. These prescriptions which, by way of exception, are promulgated by means of L'Osservatore Romano, become effective on Ash Wednesday of this year, that is to say on the 23rd of the present month.

2. Where particular privileges and indults have been in force until now—whether general or particular of any kind—"vacatio legis" [suspension of the law] for six months from the day of promulgation is to be regarded as granted.

We desire that these norms and prescriptions for the present and future be established and effective notwithstanding—inasmuch as is necessary—apostolic constitutions and regulations issued by our predecessors and all other prescriptions, even if worthy of particular mention and revocation.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/p6paen.htm

(11-21-2012, 03:18 PM)TeaGuyTom Wrote: [ -> ]Everybody remember this Friday Venerable Pius XII's decree that allowed American Catholic's dispensation of the abstinence law. As far as I know, his decree hasn't been abrogated (not like the USCCB cares if anyone is stlll doing a penance on Fridays. Only +Dolan has pushed for meatless Fridays and Ember Days.)
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/11...lt_21.html
I don't want to do a full copy of the RC blogpost. It's not really fair to them.

Did Cdl Dolan actually mention Ember Days? Or just Fridays?
Rome burns... but thankfully not the turkey! I'll enjoy my turkey and maybe even a steak on Friday!
I guess sede-vacantists can still eat meat on Friday since the last "true" Pope  said they could.
Is this restricted just to leftovers?

I'm working on Thanksgiving and won't have any leftovers since I won't be having a Thanksgiving meal. 
Weak.

Had refrigerators not been invented by then?
(11-21-2012, 09:26 PM)Pheo Wrote: [ -> ]Weak.

Had refrigerators not been invented by then?

No, they had, as Rorate points out.
(11-21-2012, 09:14 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I guess sede-vacantists can still eat meat on Friday since the last "true" Pope  said they could.

Got that one right!
(11-22-2012, 11:56 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2012, 09:14 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I guess sede-vacantists can still eat meat on Friday since the last "true" Pope  said they could.

Got that one right!

Pointless.
Pages: 1 2