FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Thanksgiving prayer...and protestant family members
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We are having family members coming to our home today for Thanksgiving . My wife's sisters are former Catholics so their spouse have never been Catholic what prayer should I use before the meal? I was going to pray the "Bless us O Lord followed by, Lord have Mercy, then Our Father, and a Hail Mary. What prayers will the fishes pray today?
Here's the prayers from preces latinae.org;

Benedictio Mensae
Blessings Before and After Meals

Basics

Benedictio Ante Mensam
Blessing Before Meals

BENEDIC, Domine, nos et haec tua dona quae de tua largitate sumus sumpturi. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

BLESS us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Ante prandium:

Mensae caelestis participes faciat nos, Rex aeternae gloriae. Amen.

Add for midday:

May the King of everlasting glory make us partakers of the heavenly table. Amen.

Ante cenam:

Ad cenam vitae aeternae perducat nos, Rex aeternae gloriae. Amen.

Add for evening:

May the King of ever-lasting glory lead us to the banquet of life eternal. Amen.

Benedictio Post Mensam
Blessing After Meals

AGIMUS tibi gratias, omnipotens Deus, pro universis beneficiis tuis, qui vivis et regnas in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

WE give Thee thanks, almighty God, for all Thy benefits, who livest and reignest for ever and ever. Amen.

V. Deus det nobis suam pacem.
R. Et vitam aeternam.
Amen

V. May the Lord grant us His peace.
R. And life everlasting.
Amen

These are before meal prayers?

Growing up (and up til now) I've never prayed much more than "Bless us O Lord.." at meals.  We end with "And may the souls of the faithful departed, etc" and if it's a particular feast day there might be a "St Peter, pray for us"

This may be because, growing up in a big family usually when you sat down to eat, there wasn't much longer that some people could wait.

Are you worried that'd be too much for your protestant family?  Is that what you're asking?
I guess I'm wondering if I should modify them.?
(11-22-2012, 09:44 AM)stmykearchangel Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I'm wondering if I should modify them.?

Modify?  What, like "Hail, Highly favored?" 

Don't change the prayers.  Either pray them or don't.  It's nice that you have a tradition of praying more than just the Catholic blessing before meals.  So either do it the way you'd usually do it  or cut a prayer or two out.
(11-22-2012, 09:49 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2012, 09:44 AM)stmykearchangel Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I'm wondering if I should modify them.?

Modify?  What, like "Hail, Highly favored?" 

Don't change the prayers.  Either pray them or don't.  It's nice that you have a tradition of praying more than just the Catholic blessing before meals.  So either do it the way you'd usually do it  or cut a prayer or two out.
This.
My husband picks a prayer from one or the other of his books of table blessing prayers. They have prayers for all the feast days and birthdays, etc. But anyway I'm with the others who say, just do what you normally would do.

We had friends of the family over for Christmas once or twice and they were freaked out by the sign of the cross. Can you imagine Christians being worried about that? So sad.
When our guests come to our house to partake in the meal we have prepared.  They are expected to graciously partake in the prayers and readings we do before the meal regardless of  whether they are Catholic, protestant or (in one case atheist).  If they are offended by our Catholicity, or otherwise cannot behave as a mature adult and gracious guest, then they are welcome to leave and not return until they can behave like a mature adult.

It’s really just that simple.

Caoimhín

AMDG
At least you're not going to visit pagan family members.  Smile
Those prayers sound good to me.
Smile Smile Smile
Pages: 1 2