FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Michael Voris on Dignitatis Humanae / Religious Liberty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was listening to Voris today and I thought his definition of religious liberty was spot on.

Voris saying error has no rights?  Shocked

Oh snap
(11-24-2012, 10:11 PM)Might_4_Right Wrote: [ -> ]I was listening to Voris today and I thought his definition of religious liberty was spot on.

Smile
If you keep watching, within a minute of him saying that he says that if you look at Church practice, the Church has never condoned the idea that all religions are equal.

The problem is that he says, parenthetically that this isn't an official teaching, but a practice.  Oops.  Oddly enough, nothing he says supports the idea that it's nothing more than a "practice" but it's bothersome that he would highlight it not being an "official" teaching. 

Kept listening and he also says that "it's ridiculous" to say that non-Catholics go to Hell.  These all happen between the 56 and 58 minute mark.  He's confused or confusing.
(11-24-2012, 11:05 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]If you keep watching, within a minute of him saying that he says that if you look at Church practice, the Church has never condoned the idea that all religions are equal.

The problem is that he says, parenthetically that this isn't an official teaching, but a practice.  Oops.  Oddly enough, nothing he says supports the idea that it's nothing more than a "practice" but it's bothersome that he would highlight it not being an "official" teaching.

Yeah. I was thinking he's not there yet. The tradversion, so to speak, isn't complete. 
Quote:Kept listening and he also says that "it's ridiculous" to say that non-Catholics go to Hell.  These all happen between the 56 and 58 minute mark.  He's confused or confusing.

Yup, and he specifically mentioned that "this doesn't mean the individuals go to Hell."

Unless they convert, it does. False sects, from paganism and Satanism to Seventh Day Adventism and Eastern Orthodoxy, are highways to Hell.
(11-24-2012, 11:09 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, and he specifically mentioned that "this doesn't mean the individuals go to Hell."

But that position was held by Pius X an other pre-VII authorities, no?
(11-24-2012, 11:39 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-24-2012, 11:09 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, and he specifically mentioned that "this doesn't mean the individuals go to Hell."

But that position was held by Pius X an other pre-VII authorities, no?

What exactly was the position?
I am sure he was speaking of invincible ignorance there.
(11-24-2012, 11:43 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]I am sure he was speaking of invincible ignorance there.

I am (reasonably) sure, too.

I am grateful for what Voris does.  And I don't think that he *meant* to seem unorthodox.  His work speaks for itself, and in his videos he doesn't shy away from talking about the reality of Hell, and of sin bringing one there, nor does he pretend that anything other than the Catholic faith is the one true faith-- this again, is something that he makes clear in his videos.  Which is why his lack of clarity on the issue in that particular video is vexing.  I did not watch the whole thing.  I hope there is something contextual that clarifies those statements later on, because as they stand they are not correct and lead to dangerous thinking, if they're aren't that by themselves.
(11-24-2012, 11:43 PM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]I am sure he was speaking of invincible ignorance there.

Which neither condemns or saves.
Pages: 1 2