FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "You are of your father the Devil" Gospel of John
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So last night I watched that film from 03 The Gospel of John and this passage whether from John or the film has always made me wonder, who is Christ speaking to here? The Jews in general or the Pharisees? The Gospel of John doesn't make it explicit but the film makes it seem as if he is talking to all those Jews who don't believe in him. Does anyone know how this is TRADITIONALLY interpereted like from a famous Biblical commentary or something.
From my reading of the following commentary, Our Lord was speaking to the Jews in general: http://www.catholicapologetics.info/scri.../8john.htm
(11-30-2012, 02:39 AM)SouthpawLink Wrote: [ -> ]From my reading of the following commentary, Our Lord was speaking to the Jews in general: http://www.catholicapologetics.info/scri.../8john.htm

That is Lapide's commentary. It is not imputed to the Jews "in general", but those who would not believe. i.e., denying the Christ. And who is anti-christ? He who denies Christ, choosing a different Father in practice. Since there is only Heaven or Hell in the end, any denial of the Son is denial of the Father, and chooses, by default, Satan as pops.

Haydock's commentary is a valuable litmus test here: http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id101.html

The question then becomes, if this is to the Jews in general, are not the Jews of Israel the true Jews? lawlz.

And then, isn't anyone who denies the Son then a Jew?

Certainly, this must be the case. No wonder some here see Jews everywhere.

I love fun with cognitive dissonance, it's a rollicking game.
From my reading he was talking about those Pharasees who rejected his message, opposed his healings on the Sabbath, and referred to his exorcisms as the work of the Devil. 
Interesting thanks for the links.
I always looked at like the prottys who pretend at being christian but use non apostolic traditions. These jews were protty chosenites who created a new religion...and like in america...became politically powerfull...displacing the true xhosen people...Christ was constantly opposing their heresys...as did the forerunner...the remnant like our lady...they were true and as such recognised the messiah
(12-02-2012, 04:21 PM)JoeVoxxPop Wrote: [ -> ]I always looked at like the prottys who pretend at being christian but use non apostolic traditions. These jews were protty chosenites who created a new religion...and like in america...became politically powerfull...displacing the true xhosen people...Christ was constantly opposing their heresys...as did the forerunner...the remnant like our lady...they were true and as such recognised the messiah
Judiazer.

/sarcasm

Messias.
(12-02-2012, 08:15 PM)MRose Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2012, 04:21 PM)JoeVoxxPop Wrote: [ -> ]I always looked at like the prottys who pretend at being christian but use non apostolic traditions. These jews were protty chosenites who created a new religion...and like in america...became politically powerfull...displacing the true xhosen people...Christ was constantly opposing their heresys...as did the forerunner...the remnant like our lady...they were true and as such recognised the messiah
Judiazer.

/sarcasm

Messias.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFRtAXQwrAhiEkHM8oRGN...jmgUdaM7h8]
(12-02-2012, 08:29 PM)JoeVoxxPop Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2012, 08:15 PM)MRose Wrote: [ -> ]
Judiazer.

/sarcasm

Messias.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFRtAXQwrAhiEkHM8oRGN...jmgUdaM7h8]
:LOL:
:grin: