FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Visiting an Orthodox Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I really love the Eastern liturgies.  We are blessed in my diocese to have a Maronite Church (a bit too NOish but I like going a few times a year).  We also had a very small Byzantine Divine Liturgy (slavonic) that I loved attending about once a month.  Unfortunately, the diocesan priest who had faculties to offer it died suddenly almost two months ago and I don't believe it will be continued.  However, this was a treasure to my spiritual life.

What is the "current" traditional viewpoint about attending a Greek Orthodox Church, but not fulfilling my obligation there and not receiving Holy Communion?  I say "current" because I understand the 1917 viewpoint, but canons are relaxed now, so theoretically I should not be under pain of sin for going.  But is it still looked down upon for Traditional Catholics to visit?  We have an Orthodox Church downtown that I might like to go to a few times a year to replace what I have lost in the Byzantine liturgy.
Personally, I wouldn't go except for research purposes.

I think Eastern Catholics often get tempted by the ease of going to DL in an Orthodox church when there is no EC parsh nearby.  They tend to start off by saying that they will go to a Catholic parish for their obligation -- but some end up straying.
(12-07-2012, 05:52 PM)Tenmaru Wrote: [ -> ]I really love the Eastern liturgies.  We are blessed in my diocese to have a Maronite Church (a bit too NOish but I like going a few times a year).  We also had a very small Byzantine Divine Liturgy (slavonic) that I loved attending about once a month.  Unfortunately, the diocesan priest who had faculties to offer it died suddenly almost two months ago and I don't believe it will be continued.  However, this was a treasure to my spiritual life.

What is the "current" traditional viewpoint about attending a Greek Orthodox Church, but not fulfilling my obligation there and not receiving Holy Communion?  I say "current" because I understand the 1917 viewpoint, but canons are relaxed now, so theoretically I should not be under pain of sin for going.  But is it still looked down upon for Traditional Catholics to visit?  We have an Orthodox Church downtown that I might like to go to a few times a year to replace what I have lost in the Byzantine liturgy.

I know someone personally who was a regular attendee at the Latin Mass, who now plans to entire the Orthodox Church.  It all started with curiosity about their liturgy.
This would be wrong. You'd be worshiping with schismatics, people who have cut themselves off from the Church that Our Lord founded.

You are in the West: do as the Westerners do. Liturgy should not be a matter of personal taste.
(12-08-2012, 12:23 AM)m.PR Wrote: [ -> ]This would be wrong. You'd be worshiping with schismatics, people who have cut themselves off from the Church that Our Lord founded.

You are in the West: do as the Westerners do. Liturgy should not be a matter of personal taste.

The ordinary form of the Roman Rite is currently the Novus Ordo. 

Wink
(12-08-2012, 12:23 AM)m.PR Wrote: [ -> ]This would be wrong. You'd be worshiping with schismatics, people who have cut themselves off from the Church that Our Lord founded.

Where someone is geographically isn't the point -- and shouldn't be.  After all, there are plenty of Eastern Catholic churches in the West.
(12-08-2012, 03:07 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: [ -> ]

Where someone is geographically isn't the point -- and shouldn't be.  After all, there are plenty of Eastern Catholic churches in the West.

This is true. It's a matter of our personal spirituality, too.
(12-08-2012, 03:07 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: [ -> ]After all, there are plenty of Eastern Catholic churches in the West.
And they are worth visiting.  Doing so adds perspective and appreciation for our own rite, and Eastern Catholic churches are relatively safe (in my limited experience).

Interestingly, some Eastern Catholic Churches are going though their own liturgical restorations from past abuses.  As trads we should be supportive of these efforts.
No. Catholics are not permitted to actively worship at an Orthodox Church or at Prot Churches without a grave reason or without giving scandal; it is a mortal sin. The only exceptions are passive attendance at weddings and funerals. If in doubt, seek the permission of one's traditional Catholic pastor or confessor.
It might not be a sin per se under the current laws but it is a sin to endanger your Faith by regularly exposing yourself to schismatic worship and preaching. Do not go.
Pages: 1 2 3