FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are Women Religious Allowed to Preach Homily at NO Mass?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay, so I attended an NO Mass this morning at a parish I'd never been to before, because I couldn't make it to the early morning Mass at my parish. To my surprise, instead of the priest giving the homily, he announced after reading the Gospel that a Sister would be preaching today. She gave a talk on the importance of contributing financially to Catholic Community Services, which is a charitable organization here. I was hoping that maybe the priest would give a 'real' homily after she was finished; but no.

I don't think it's allowed that anyone but the priest or deacon should be giving the homily, but I don't know for sure what the rules are. I might write to the priest and complain about it, but I need to know what the rules are, first.
No, laypersons are never allowed to preach a homily at mass.
(12-09-2012, 03:08 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]No, laypersons are never allowed to preach a homily at mass.

Thanks.

I found this article, which explains it further:

http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu393.htm

I just sent an email to the priest in question. I charitably asked him to explain the situation. Hopefully he'll write back. I'll probably have to write to the Archdiocese about it.
Are religious sisters lay people?
I believe that anyone who is nor ordained to Holy Orders would be considered a Layman.
(12-09-2012, 04:47 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]Are religious sisters lay people?

Yes, in the broader scope.

The deacon is the one charged to preach, and is the lowest of the levels of Holy Orders to do so.

Anyone can evangelize or even give a "sermon" outside of Mass, but a homily/sermon in the context of the Mass is clerics only by default.
I understand that pre V2 religious we're not considered laity, but now they are (NB: correct me if I err, please...I am not certain)

This is terrible IMO.  religious should be considered...something.  What were they before?  Clergy, clerics?  Something else?
Are they permitted to preach under liturgical law?  No. 

Are they allowed to preach?  yes, of course.  Otherwise this wouldn't be an issue!

Enjoy your Novus Ordo.  LOL
(12-09-2012, 06:22 PM)Allan Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that pre V2 religious we're not considered laity, but now they are (NB: correct me if I err, please...I am not certain)

This is terrible IMO.  religious should be considered...something.  What were they before?  Clergy, clerics?  Something else?

There are clerics and laymen. Within laymen there are Religious and Joe Schmoe. Within Clerics there are Religious and Secular priests.

Depending on the Order, they might emphasize one over the other.

The Religious life is set apart, hence, consecrated, but they're simply not clerics unless Ordained as such.

Properly there are 3 states: clerical, religious and laity.

The Religious are a weird entity. I've heard/read it explained multiple ways. It probably is best to understand them set apart from someone off the block, but they are not clerics unless ordained.

http://catholicexchange.com/who-may-preach/

This details the Canon Law aspect.

Here's another: http://thecatholicspirit.com/faith/the-l...ring-mass/

This was also the case Pre-Vatican 2 (and really, this is a Code of Canon Law issue, thus, pre-1983; nothign to do with Vatican 2 per se)

Canon 1342, 1917 Code:

Quote:Can 1342 §1. Concionandi facultas solis sacerdotibus vel diaconis fiat, non vero ceteris clericis, nisi rationabili de causa, iudicio Ordinarii et in casibus singularibus.
§2. Concionari in ecclesia vetantur laici omnes, etsi religiosi.
translation (Google): Canon 1342 § 1. Let it be done only for the priests or deacons the faculty of preaching, but not the rest of the clergy, unless reasonable cause for the individuals of all cases, and in the judgment of the Ordinary.
 § 2. Forbidden to preach in the church, all the laity, even religious.

So, Vatican 2 has nothing to do with this. In the broad sense, Religious are laity. But they are also not just a laymen but a Religious laymen.

It's convoluted and nuanced.

(12-09-2012, 06:22 PM)Allan Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that pre V2 religious we're not considered laity, but now they are (NB: correct me if I err, please...I am not certain)

I'd say it depends. Strictly speaking, anyone without holy orders is a layman. However, when we think of the hierarchy of the Church, we typically think of the consecrated religious as a rung above the rest of the laity. So the hierarchy would be: 1. Clerics (cardinals, metropolitans, bishops, priests, deacons) 2. Religious 3. Laity. At least, this is how I've understood it since childhood. [And, what SMKMI said.]

(12-09-2012, 06:30 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Are they permitted to preach under liturgical law?  No. 

Are they allowed to preach?  yes, of course.  Otherwise this wouldn't be an issue!

Enjoy your Novus Ordo.   LOL

Yes, disregarding rules is unique to the Novus Ordo  Eye-roll
Pages: 1 2 3 4