FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good News: Our Latin choir recently held Vespers of the Blessed Virgin Mary, according to the 1962 Missal, on December 8th in the chapel of our local Catholic Healthcare Home. It's probably been the first time in over 40 years that traditional vespers has been said. The activities director of the home was very open to our making it a weekly celebration.

Bad news: I received word this afternoon from the director of the local chapter of Una Voce that the Latin Mass has been cancelled for this month, and he's not sure when they will be able to arrange another Latin Mass at our current location.

Long story short - I am tired of my diocese's bovine excrement. Vespers is okay, but if you can't even have the mass of all time, the greatest of all the sacraments - why bother?

It boggles my mind. All the other dioceses in my state, at the very least, have one weekly TLM, not to mention multiple monthly masses. Since SP was promulgated, I have watched the number of monthly Latin Masses (Heaven forbid weekly Latin Masses!) drop from four to one. One.

Please. Help me pray for charity toward all those involved in making this decision - and pray that I figure out what to do next in all of this mess.

And before anyone says it, no, the SSPX is not an option.
(12-14-2012, 03:00 PM)LongfellowDeeds Wrote: [ -> ]Good News: Our Latin choir recently held Vespers of the Blessed Virgin Mary, according to the 1962 Missal, on December 8th in the chapel of our local Catholic Healthcare Home. It's probably been the first time in over 40 years that traditional vespers has been said. The activities director of the home was very open to our making it a weekly celebration.

Bad news: I received word this afternoon from the director of the local chapter of Una Voce that the Latin Mass has been cancelled for this month, and he's not sure when they will be able to arrange another Latin Mass at our current location.

Long story short - I am tired of my diocese's bovine excrement. Vespers is okay, but if you can't even have the mass of all time, the greatest of all the sacraments - why bother?

It boggles my mind. All the other dioceses in my state, at the very least, have one weekly TLM, not to mention multiple monthly masses. Since SP was promulgated, I have watched the number of monthly Latin Masses (Heaven forbid weekly Latin Masses!) drop from four to one. One.

Please. Help me pray for charity toward all those involved in making this decision - and pray that I figure out what to do next in all of this mess.

And before anyone says it, no, the SSPX is not an option.

Prayers.  Always prayers first.  Then, get used to being "in full communion" at the novus ordo.
I'm sorry to hear it. Surely, its not fair.

I'll pray for you and your diocese. Pray
I know you said not to mention the SSPX, but if it came down to going to the NO or SSPX, well, no brainer if I were you. I will never, ever go to a NO again.
Where do you live in Los Angeles?
I'm sorry there's no SSPX near you.  I imagine that there's no Traditional option at all, then. 

Only thing I'll say is that if you find yourself going to a liturgy that you rationally hate, and intellectually understand to be massively lacking, well, there's something wrong with that.  God bless, will pray for you.
Longfellow,

My sympathies. Perhaps try an Eastern Catholic Church for awhile?
Thank you all for your prayers. Yet again Our Lord works in mysterious ways. I have been in discussion with two priests who are learning the Latin Mass who are willing to come up to our diocese at some point to say the Latin Mass.

There's really no other option in our diocese. Society is the next diocese over, Eastern Rite is the next diocese over, etc. You get the picture. I just wish our diocese, well - got it. It's not like they're aren't a bunch of closet traddies up here anyway. It's just that they really aren't provided any outlet to express it outside of the "reform of the reform" parish in town that is barely tolerated [it seems] by our Ordinary.

My question is whether or not it would be worth my time to keep the Vespers going at this point. It just seems so futile.

And thank heavens, but I do not live in LA.
Keep up the Vespers. 
(12-17-2012, 02:12 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: [ -> ]Keep up the Vespers. 

Yes, this. There is no reason to back out of Vespers now just because the Tridentene Mass will not be available. You are doing so much good for the people in the Healthcare Home by providing that for them. Our Lord will richly bless you for it, I guarantee it.

Just think: if you were to quit now, the folks who enjoyed attending Vespers according to the 1962 Missal will be just as disappointed as you were when you found that the TLM was being cancelled.
Pages: 1 2