FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Crystal ... er ... Christ Cathedral slowly becoming Catholic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know the sale of the cathedral has been a topic here a few times. Here is a nice story. Seems like the new bishop is coming out strong, especially for building up the large Hispanic population we have here. First the Cristeros' grito at the installation, then 5 am Las Mañanitas for Our Lady of Guadalupe, and now this Las Posadas event. This is a good thing because Hispanic Catholics here have been severely "evangelized" by the Jehovah's Witness and Mormons, as well as other Protestants groups. God bless and keep this bishop! Viva Cristo Rey!

New bishop opens doors for Las Posadas

The new bishop of Orange opens the doors of Crystal Cathedral for throngs of the faithful celebrating a Christmas tradition.

By RON GONZALES / ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

GARDEN GROVE – Thousands of Catholic faithful gathered at the Crystal Cathedral for Las Posadas, an annual tradition in many Latino communities that recalls Mary and Joseph's search for lodging in Bethlehem.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange hosted Las Posadas on Friday night, its first official event at the future Christ Cathedral.

Bishop Kevin W. Vann, installed earlier this week, led the pre-Christmas celebration, held primarily in Spanish. More than half the parishes within the diocese hold Mass in Spanish.

Those who attended walked the grounds of the cathedral, praying and singing to the accompaniment of guitarists.

As they walked, Mary and Joseph were turned away at several locations as they sought a place to stay.

At the final stop, Vann stood inside the darkened cathedral as a singing throng pleaded to enter. He opened the doors as the lights went on for a prayer service that included Luke's account of the birth of Christ before a standing-room-only crowd. Children from Our Lady of the Pillar in Santa Ana, as well as the musicians and singers of Estudiantina Alma Misionera, performed Spanish-language Christmas songs.

Maria Gonzalez, who attends St. Anthony Claret Church in Anaheim, said she attended with her three sons to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

"I wanted to take a tour, and also bring my kids to see the posada," said Gonzalez, who was born in Mexico. "Since they were born here, they need to learn the culture."

"It's good to learn about Christ and Christmas from a different perspective," said Gabriela Brigham, 13, who walked in the procession with friend Kathleen Fernandez, 15, both girls from Mission Viejo. The crowd was estimated at more than 3,000.

"We are walking with Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem. Are we going to open our lives to Christ?" Vann asked. "Are we going to open our hearts? Si o no?"

"Si!" the crowd shouted back.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/cathedral...stmas.html

[Image: mf24sa-b781031311z.120121214212635000gdh1bl94o.1.jpg]

[Image: mf24sc-b781031311z.120121214212635000gdh1bl955.1.jpg]

[Image: mf24sb-b781031311z.120121214212635000gdh1bl94i.1.jpg]

[Image: mf24sd-b781031311z.120121214212635000gdh1bl94v.1.jpg]
Scriptorium, it's all good but the building. I dislike it very much. I know it's California and all, but not for me. I'll take my leave and no comments.

tim
I don't like it either, at least as a religious building. I don't think the new bishop can get a refund, though.
It'd be grand if somewhere doen the road Trump wants it and will give him tons of cash.

tim
Well good for the Bishop I hope he is able to keep hispanics in the Church, but My God that building  :puke:
(12-15-2012, 03:38 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like it either, at least as a religious building. I don't think the new bishop can get a refund, though.

You should see the new church at St. Padre Pio's in San Giovanni Rontondo.  It looks like a convention center.  St. Pio would die again if he saw it.  The church in Fatima looks like a prison from the outside.  It was just being built was I was there. 
Personally I would never go to a Church that looked like that.  When I see these disgusting Churches I try to think what I would do if If I were a Priest to make it Catholic. I am stumped on this one. All I can think of is remove the tabernacle and burn it down and rebuild. This one is officially unsaveable.
(12-15-2012, 04:34 PM)jacobhalo Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-15-2012, 03:38 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like it either, at least as a religious building. I don't think the new bishop can get a refund, though.

You should see the new church at St. Padre Pio's in San Giovanni Rontondo.  It looks like a convention center.  St. Pio would die again if he saw it.  The church in Fatima looks like a prison from the outside.  It was just being built was I was there. 

I hate those two the most considering there is the beautiful Church at Fatima and the Friary at San Giovanni that could be used. They just built those starship looking pieces of crap so they could have something new to fit in with their new Church.
I don't particularly care for the building either but tend to have a more "laid back" attitude (last year I read a history of the construciton of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, and its design wasn't without its critics in those days either).  For my own eclectic reasons I have followed the Crystal Cathedral saga www.pens-opinion.org and have had some private communication with the cited web master regarding management issues of the building.  From my experience of being a parish business and facilities manager in the past, and also having sat on some building committies, even IF the Diocese of Orange were to tear down the glass structure and build something new (which I don't think is currently in the cards), considering all the other facilities and the real estate that was acquired for the $50 million, they got a bargin buy from what I can see, so I can't really can't fault the diocese for pursuing this option against the contender, Chapman University.

While my personal opinion is that it would be desirable to use what is called the Arboretim (the 600 seat former Garden Grove Community Church) as a longer term replacement for St. Callistus (which the CC congregation will move to in June per existing agreements), tear the "glass palace down" (there are said to be 10k glass panes there; they could be etched with images of the CC and sold to interested parties at good $ I'm thinking), and design a "proper" cathedral, that is all just my opinon.  Under the Catholic doctrine of subsiduarity, with which I may still form a personal opinon perhaps, as I don't live in the Diocese of Orange I really have no claim to have a "legitimate opinon".  I doubt anything is going to get "torn down" so at this point I'm more interested in seeing what they do with the interior.  The Hazel Wright organ in itself is considered by the experts to be one of the more magnivicant instruments extant in the U.S. and had a value of over $2m when it was installed in 1982.  So again I do not fault the Diocese at all for pursuing this ~ the more legitimate critique will come when we see what they have done with their acquisition.
(12-15-2012, 12:56 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ](T)he Jehovah's Witness and Mormons, as well as other Protestants groups.

Neither JWs nor Mormons are Christian or protestant. Just sayin'.
Pages: 1 2 3 4