FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Las Posadas procession
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is a photo collage of the Las Posada process here in Colorado Springs. I had never heard of this tradition until, like, 5 minutes ago. Anyone here partake in a traditional Las Posadas procession? Tim, ever see this is Old Chicago?

http://www.gazette.com/sections/slideshow/?id=16950895

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Posadas
Guitars in a Church? Dislike Grandpa
(12-15-2012, 04:39 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: [ -> ]Guitars in a Church? Dislike Grandpa

Mexicans.
I can put up with processions like this considering all the heretical crap that is going on elsewhere
The little children looked really good,smashing in fact. The guitars don't bother me in this context. It's very Mexican and it's much better music than, Peter, Paul, and Mary, blowing in the wind.  I've never seen A Psadas procession myself. Once many years ago, in Cheyene Wyoming, shooting pool, i discovered just how much and how long the Mexicans had been in your part of the west. I found my Chicago lens was way too tight.They had been in Cheyene longer than my family had been in Chicago. Eye opening, for sure.

tim
(12-15-2012, 04:39 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: [ -> ]Guitars in a Church? Dislike Grandpa

Me, too. But what Salus said. As a traditional type of guy, I am down with some Olde Southweste Catholik Tradition.
(12-15-2012, 05:45 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]The little children looked really good,smashing in fact. The guitars don't bother me in this context. It's very Mexican and it's much better music than, Peter, Paul, and Mary, blowing in the wind.  I've never seen A Psadas procession myself. Once many years ago, in Cheyene Wyoming, shooting pool, i discovered just how much and how long the Mexicans had been in your part of the west. I found my Chicago lens was way too tight.They had been in Cheyene longer than my family had been in Chicago. Eye opening, for sure.

tim

Yes. There are reminders everywhere when one is wont to look. Quite interesting in that right exactly where I live is probably where the Spanish stopped, looked, said Mass, and turned around and went back down south. I have been in CO for 8 years now and I am becoming a regionalist, if you will: Areas to the SW of the Heinrich household are more appealing than the areas accessible along the 1-70 corridor. I am more of a Sangre de Cristo Range and high desert plateau type of Coloradan. I will show you when you come for a visit and stay with us, Tim.

Remember that Silent Night was composed in 1818 as a guitar song and was first performed at the Midnight Mass of the Nativity by Fr Joseph Mohr with guitar accompaniment. There is a, probably apocryphal, story that the Church organ was broken, but that story doesn't seem to have appeared until the 20th century. In truth, it seems Fr Mohr just wanted a guitar carol to sing at Mass. Smile
(12-15-2012, 10:08 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

Remember that Silent Night was composed in 1818 as a guitar song and was first performed at the Midnight Mass of the Nativity by Fr Joseph Mohr with guitar accompaniment. There is a, probably apocryphal, story that the Church organ was broken, but that story doesn't seem to have appeared until the 20th century. In truth, it seems Fr Mohr just wanted a guitar carol to sing at Mass. Smile

For those that have not read the story of the song "Silent Night" they can read it here.
http://www.americaneedsfatima.org/Articl...-song.html

I think the Las Posadas procession is nice and appropriate.  I'd join the procession if it was held around here. 
They have Las Posadas at the local NO parish. They go to a different family's home each night. I don't recall how many nights. Before the start of Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, they process in with the infant Jesus and lay him in the manger. Last year, they processed to church with a donkey. Donkey didn't come in church though. At the various homes, they have food for everyone taking part that particular night. Really good Mexican food.
Pages: 1 2