FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Statements about the Judgement of the Shooter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One of the things that has really bothered me in the wake of the Sandy shooting are some people who seem comfortable wishing eternal torments on the shooter.

Who would wish for anyone to spend 10 minutes in a cramped oven on High, in terror and agony?  Let alone eternal Hell?

Are these statements being made without any real reflection about what they are saying, they are actually placing hope that someone will burn, eternally in despair, in every imaginable agony, without any respite, hope, never ending thirst, unavoidable stench in everlasting darkness.

If that is not a curse I don't know what is.

Is it a want of reflection causing these statements? 

I don't have a reasonable hope for that poor mans salvation, he died an evil death, outside the Church, after committing horrible sins.

God in his justice might condemn him but it is not our place, nor did he give us the right to "hope" in someones eternal destruction.

He said we could ask for anything in the name of Jesus (which mens God saves) how could it not be a blasphemy to ask for the opposite of that for someone?
I don't wish eternal torment on anyone. I have enough sins of my own. And who knows? It may be that some of our sins are worse in the eyes of God than this person. We should pray for all the people that are touched by this tragedy.
Pray Pray Pray
God has dealt with him. Of that we can be sure.
I hope that he's in Heaven. I wish his brains had been blown out before he had accomplished any of the evil he set out to do, but I hope he's in Heaven.

May God grant that my ill will never extends beyond anyone's death.
To the part about the oven and that comparison, I fear fire, possibly irrationally. This may come from once exploding a campfire using petrol to ignite it. I was thrown back 10 or 20 feet and burned the hair off my face and front. Because of this I am now very wary even when cooking, and fear of burning myself pops in my mind as I am doing the work. It also helps stop me when I start thinking in terms of appropriate punishment like hell, which can quickly become veiled vengeance, and that ain't right, for the Lord said that is His.

tim 
(12-19-2012, 02:10 AM)nmoerbeek Wrote: [ -> ]One of the things that has really bothered me in the wake of the Sandy shooting are some people who seem comfortable wishing eternal torments on the shooter.

Who would wish for anyone to spend 10 minutes in a cramped oven on High, in terror and agony?  Let alone eternal Hell?

Are these statements being made without any real reflection about what they are saying, they are actually placing hope that someone will burn, eternally in despair, in every imaginable agony, without any respite, hope, never ending thirst, unavoidable stench in everlasting darkness.

If that is not a curse I don't know what is.

Is it a want of reflection causing these statements? 

I don't have a reasonable hope for that poor mans salvation, he died an evil death, outside the Church, after committing horrible sins.

God in his justice might condemn him but it is not our place, nor did he give us the right to "hope" in someones eternal destruction.

He said we could ask for anything in the name of Jesus (which mens God saves) how could it not be a blasphemy to ask for the opposite of that for someone?

Excellent post. I completely agree.
(12-19-2012, 10:59 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]To the part about the oven and that comparison, I fear fire, possibly irrationally. This may come from once exploding a campfire using petrol to ignite it. I was thrown back 10 or 20 feet and burned the hair off my face and front. Because of this I am now very wary even when cooking, and fear of burning myself pops in my mind as I am doing the work. It also helps stop me when I start thinking in terms of appropriate punishment like hell, which can quickly become veiled vengeance, and that ain't right, for the Lord said that is His.

tim 

It was a warm day and you left it a few seconds after pouring the petrol to ignite it, yes?
(12-19-2012, 11:43 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2012, 10:59 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]To the part about the oven and that comparison, I fear fire, possibly irrationally. This may come from once exploding a campfire using petrol to ignite it. I was thrown back 10 or 20 feet and burned the hair off my face and front. Because of this I am now very wary even when cooking, and fear of burning myself pops in my mind as I am doing the work. It also helps stop me when I start thinking in terms of appropriate punishment like hell, which can quickly become veiled vengeance, and that ain't right, for the Lord said that is His.

tim 

It was a warm day and you left it a few seconds after pouring the petrol to ignite it, yes?

No, it was a hot humid morning with a thunder storm coming in northern Wisconsin, to make breakfast for about 30. I waited a few minutes because of the conditions but it was just my intuition which judged it safe. I was walking toward the pit which we had dug and lined with stones when I struck the match and bang it went up. I was flat on my back and pretty shook up, and the laughter for my lack of hair sobered me up.

tim
Waiting was the big mistake.  Allows the petrol to turn to vapour and a cloud to form. If you pour and light within 5 seconds and the conditions are not conducive to a vapour cloud then much less likely to happen.

I blow up stuff all the time for a hobby.  I am forever lighting fires and blowing up aerosol cans and large gas filled balloons and other stuff.

Gasoline is nasty dangerous stuff.  People need to respect it more than they do.
(12-20-2012, 08:01 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]I blow up stuff all the time for a hobby.  I am forever lighting fires and blowing up aerosol cans and large gas filled balloons and other stuff.

Could you post a video once in a while, or does recording take the fun out?!
Pages: 1 2