FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Card games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I am sorry if this is a silly question, but I am rather scrupulous and would like to quiet my conscience - is it a sin to play card games? Not gambling, but just playing card games. I was playing beggar-my-neighbour after tea and cakes with my elderly (Protestant) mother and sister on Christmas day; and I'm very frightened I might have sinned.

I recall a passage in a book (Parade's End, I think) where an Irish priest plays bridge, but fiction is fiction.
???
Scrupulosity, Doctor. May I translate that as no, it is not?
Absolutely not.

Even gambling with cards isn't a sin per se.

Where did you get that idea?  
Over-thinking, probably. An innate leaning to rigorism? Thank you. Delete this if you please.
Pat, no, it's not.
Sorry, I feel an utter clod for asking, thanks all the same.
(12-25-2012, 03:31 PM)PatrickG Wrote: [ -> ]Scrupulosity, Doctor. May I translate that as no, it is not?

Sorry Patrick, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. 

No, it's not in my opinion.
(12-25-2012, 04:04 PM)PatrickG Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I feel an utter clod for asking, thanks all the same.

Don't mention it. I have struggled with scrupulosity, and I know how it is. The best thing you can do is find a regular confessor and do what he tells you.

Don't let scrupulosity get you down on this great feast day! God loves you, and He is all love and all mercy.
Learn to play 66. It's a fab game !

tim
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5