FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Haunting message of forced labor....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
A running theme of Austrian Economics is the superiority of the market for materialist gain, regardless of the human costs.
I too notice people are getting tired of China goods, mainly because a lot of ot is junk.If you really want to boycott slave labor, boycott Wal-Mart.
(12-26-2012, 03:26 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]A running theme of Austrian Economics is the superiority of the market for materialist gain, regardless of the human costs.

The concepts laid forth in this Tom Woods video not only disagrees with your position on their position, but obviously so.

http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/taxation-ri...rian-view/
What are Woods views on usury?
(12-26-2012, 05:23 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: [ -> ]It's absolutely deplorable.

This is a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance. It appears that the whole world is engaged in and promoting all fours: abortion and euthanasia, sodomy, neglecting widows and orphans, and now this. All to back temporary decadence and fleeting pleasures.

Lord have mercy.

Agreed.  The insanity cannot hold its course much longer.
(12-26-2012, 05:45 PM)onosurf Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2012, 05:23 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: [ -> ]It's absolutely deplorable.

This is a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance. It appears that the whole world is engaged in and promoting all fours: abortion and euthanasia, sodomy, neglecting widows and orphans, and now this. All to back temporary decadence and fleeting pleasures.

Lord have mercy.

Agreed.  The insanity cannot hold its course much longer.

It won't. 
The trade disputes are increasing and soon trading will lessen considerably and don't be surprised if some borders will close.  If you are paying attention Switzerland has slowly
been doing this.  Everyone "get your house in order"

Hey anyone ever take a geiger counter to Chinamart or Targetchina?  The rads rule  :LOL: 
A net rumor is some contaminated "steel"  think nyc was sold or given to China and they turned around and made silverware out of them and sold it back to us.  :crazy:

(12-26-2012, 05:34 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]What are Woods views on usury?

Well, I'd have to know what you define as usury...

But this article addresses some of the issues typically associated with interest:

http://mises.org/misesreview_detail.aspx?control=291

Keep in mind, money is not what is was.

If I give you 5 dollars today, it's not worth the 5 dollars I gave you today in a year-- even if you pay back 5 dollars in a year at 0% interest, you're basically paying back that principal minus inflation: In effect, I'm being charged interest to loan you money. How, exactly, is that moral? To charge interest isn't usury per se, across the board.

I am not necessarily saying I'm a Woods fan, but I'm not a fan of incorrect understandings of concepts either.
(12-26-2012, 06:06 PM)Don Quixote Wrote: [ -> ]Hey anyone ever take a geiger counter to Chinamart or Targetchina?  The rads rule  :LOL: 

I wonder if anyone has done this. Should put it on Youtube.
It is difficult to avoid Chinese goods at times but with the internet there are usually alternatives to be found.  Also, sometimes alternatives aren't needed because the item isn't a necessity and one can save money by not getting anything at all.

Ironically, the "bargains" offered through Chinese made products are often an illusion.  How often do people find themselves purchasing the same item every 5 years at the low, low price of $5.99 only to find out later that the quality USA manufactured version that costs $25.00 will last for 100 years?  Someone I know used to buy a new pair of scissors every 2-3 years until I gave her a $40 pair made in France.  She hasn't needed a new pair since and will probably hand them down to another generation when she's done with them.  I don't use scissors as much so for myself, I got two pairs of used Wiss shears for $4.00 and tuned them up.  Those old American-made scissors are now good for another lifetime of use.

Shoddy products produced in slave labor camps aren't a bargain for anyone in the long run.  They break easily and are so poorly made that no one wants to put any time or money towards repairs.  They will spend most of their lifetime in the landfill.  Well-made items on the other hand are appreciated enough that people are willing to maintain them and keep them around for generations.

Unfortunately a lot of Americans have lost the skills needed to keep items in good repair.  Good tools are tossed every day because people don't know how to rewire the broken cords (clothes irons) or sharpen an edge(knives and scissors).  Because of this, companies often market disposable goods as "maintenance free".
(12-26-2012, 02:21 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]The gods of Capitalism and Free Trade. Lew Rockwell, Tom Woods and the Mises boys would approve.
(12-26-2012, 03:26 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]A running theme of Austrian Economics is the superiority of the market for materialist gain, regardless of the human costs.

This and this.

(12-26-2012, 04:22 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]The concepts laid forth in this Tom Woods video not only disagrees with your position on their position, but obviously so.

http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/taxation-ri...rian-view/

The outcome of laissez-faire capitalism or libertarianism would be the same as the slave labour camps in China.  If we rely solely on the superiority of the market without any social contract there would be a pile of people left out in the cold.  And what do you think those people that have been left out in the cold would do?  They would be looking for a better way.  And that's when communist revolutionaries would roll into the picture.  Communists say that there can't be the revolution until capitalism fails.  And that is why it is said that laissez-faire capitalism or libertarianism is the other side of the communist coin.  Austrian Economics has never been tried and it will never work for this same reason.  It will leave too many people out in the cold.  A return to a middle of the road approach is far superior and more inclusive.         
Pages: 1 2 3 4