FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Haunting message of forced labor....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Anyone else try to avoid products made in China?  I try for the most part but it's nearly impossible these days to avoid them.  Almost all clothes and shoes are made in this communist country.  Where is the outcry from Rome?  From the Bishops?  Is this silence part of the 'Moscow Agreement'?  Very sad indeed....

The letter came in a box of Halloween decorations purchased at Kmart, but for a year Julie Keith never knew. It gathered dust in her storage, a haunting plea for help hidden among artificial skeletons, tombstones and spider webs.
Keith, a 42-year-old vehicle donation manager at a southeast Portland Goodwill, at one point considered donating the unopened $29.99 Kmart graveyard kit. It was one of those accumulated items you never need and easily forget. But on a Sunday afternoon in October, Keith pulled the orange and black box from storage. She intended to decorate her home in Damascus for her daughter's fifth birthday, just days before Halloween.

She ripped open the box and threw aside the cellophane.

That's when Keith found it. Scribbled onto paper and folded into eighths, the letter was tucked between two Styrofoam headstones.

"Sir:

The letter describes conditions at a forced labor camp in China.
  "If you occasionally buy this product, please kindly resend this letter to the World Human Right Organization. Thousands people here who are under the persicution of the Chinese Communist Party Government will thank and remember you forever."
The graveyard kit, the letter read, was made in unit 8, department 2 of the Masanjia Labor Camp in Shenyang, China.

Chinese characters broke up choppy English sentences.

"People who work here have to work 15 hours a day without Saturday, Sunday break and any holidays. Otherwise, they will suffer torturement, beat and rude remark. Nearly no payment (10 yuan/1 month)."

Ten yuan is equivalent to $1.61.

"People who work here, suffer punishment 1-3 years averagely, but without Court Sentence (unlaw punishment). Many of them are Falun Gong practitioners, who are totally innocent people only because they have different believe to CCPG. They often suffer more punishment than others."

The letter was not signed.

China's re-education through labor is a system of punishment that allows for detention without trial. Various reports allege followers of the banned spiritual group, Falun Gong, are sent to the reform camps – claims supported in the letter – but the facts are difficult to confirm.

Masanjia labor camp is located in the industrialized capital of the Liaoning Province in northeast China. A Google search of the camp yields pages of grim results.

"If this thing is the real deal, that's somebody saying please help me, please know about me, please react," Richardson said. "That's our job."

:((

http://www.oregonlive.com/happy-valley/i...ry_ha.html
I wrote about this situation earlier about the poor labor conditions in China.
:(( :(( :((

http://catholic.org/international/intern...p?id=48861
It's absolutely deplorable.

This is a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance. It appears that the whole world is engaged in and promoting all fours: abortion and euthanasia, sodomy, neglecting widows and orphans, and now this. All to back temporary decadence and fleeting pleasures.

Lord have mercy.
(12-26-2012, 04:58 AM)Dino Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else try to avoid products made in China?  I try for the most part but it's nearly impossible these days to avoid them.  Almost all clothes and shoes are made in this communist country.  Where is the outcry from Rome?  From the Bishops? 

I try to avoid them, but, as you say, it is very difficult.  Often the only products available come from China.  I am willing pay more for North American alternatives when they exist, but I am not always given that choice.  Sometimes when I am debating whether or not to buy something, I'll decide based on whether I can find one that is not from China.

It never occurred to me that we needed a statement from Rome.  It ought to be obvious that mistreatment of workers is wrong.  The Church has already taught this many times.

(I would have concerns about the dominance of foreign products for economic reasons, even if mistreatment of workers was not involved.)

I also try to avoid products from China. The thing that was the hardest to get used to was how much American made products can cost in comparison to the cheap Chinese garbage. Back in the old days, children had much fewer, better made and thus more expensive toys. Now children have mountains of cheap Chinese junk toys. I strongly believe kids will be just as happy with fewer toys, especially if the toys are good quality and promote the use of imagination. But it's still hard to get used to the higher prices.

For parents looking for alternatives to cheap Chinese toys that make annoying noises, a good resource are Waldorf toys. Now you have to be careful with Waldorf items because Waldorf is evil and anti-Christian. The toys should be okay though.
The "Moscow Agreement" might have something to do with the silence of Rome or that Rome simply has so many other things to think about and deal with that Chinese labor is not on Rome's radar. That being said, Chinese forced labor is evil and it is not just Falun Gong practicioners but Catholics who are also forced to work. Many of those goods are kept so cheap precisely because they are made by political prisoners such as Chinese who happen to be caught with a Rosary or happen to make the sign of the cross in public or perhaps atend something other than the "Chinese Patriotic Church". 

It is profoundly difficult to find any products not from China. I personally try not to buy anything from there but it is nearly impossible not to. It seems like almost everything is made there these days.
The gods of Capitalism and Free Trade. Lew Rockwell, Tom Woods and the Mises boys would approve.
USA is gone, this country is dead. We're gonna pay the price for our evils soon enough. The horror stories of the forced labor camps in China sound like Hell on earth. That letter is tame compared to some articles and stories I've read about.
While it does seem like “everything” is made in China with some careful shopping, with the exception of electronic goods, I find it often possible to avoid the “Made in China” label.  Even my laptop computer, a Fujitsu Lifebook, was assembled in Taiwan from Japanese components, and was competitively priced with the “Made in China” brands.

I find it still fairly easy to find clothing not made in China, though I have to look in a broader selection of shops than I use to; shoes have been a larger challenge recently.  My two dress suits were made in Colombia and Canada respectively.  My Kitchen Aid food processor was made in France and was competitively priced with the “Made in China” Cuisinart.  I did become really disgusted with Cuisinart when their box had a US flag with a bold “An American Company” printed on it, but the bottom, in fine print, said “Made in China”.

While we have a very consumerist society, many of the people I am around are beginning to wake up to the impact our appitite for cheap goods is having and are becoming more judicious in their shopping habits.
(12-26-2012, 02:21 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]The gods of Capitalism and Free Trade. Lew Rockwell, Tom Woods and the Mises boys would approve.

How so?

I agree that that praxeology of Von Mises would concur insofar as the action of the note's author... after all, the labor camp is (or more likely was) a source of dissatisfaction that the author thought could be changed by the methods requested in the note or he wouldn't have acted.

But how does the libertarian view approve of FORCED labor, lack of freedom, the superiority of the state over individuals, etc.?

Pages: 1 2 3 4