FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishop Fellay: A Summary of Recent Events, 12-28-12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Closing out this thread, I'd like to reference one more part of the talk.  At one point, the "back channel" message +Fellay received was that the SSPX could still criticize Vat. II and other scandals in the Church after a reunion.  So he immediately went out and published an interview where he criticized Vat. II and the N.O. Mass.  The Vatican then complained to him saying he couldn't do that.  A minor point, but it shows that +Fellay is sharp.  I'll concede that he may be backward on the huge revolution in social media and communications, but I don't consider that fatal.

Anyhow, +Fellay will ALWAYS be open for talks with the Vatican, he is Catholic.  However, he faces the problems and insists on solving the doctrinal problems.  Furthermore, he is convinced that Fatima is the key and that we are in the Great Apsostacy.  A great man who goes to bed with a clean conscience. 
Quote: A narrow boat costs about 1000 dollars for a week including all insurances.  I would like to do it as well but young kids tend to fall in so you end up supervising them the whole time and it is not much of a holiday for the parents.
  Yeah bud, no kids for that vacation.  Puttering along at 3 mph (tops) going through the pretty country side.  Wife can read or knit.  Just relaxing for a week, though you'd have to have some fun with the locks.  Then continually refilling the beer tank in your belly.  That is a good vacation, no doubt.  I'm going to have to get my wife on the plane.

[Image: JB_Late_Breaks_Wyvern_Shipping.jpg]

[Image: devizes08big.jpg]
(01-02-2013, 06:03 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]Closing out this thread, I'd like to reference one more part of the talk.  At one point, the "back channel" message +Fellay received was that the SSPX could still criticize Vat. II and other scandals in the Church after a reunion.  So he immediately went out and published an interview where he criticized Vat. II and the N.O. Mass.  The Vatican then complained to him saying he couldn't do that.  A minor point, but it shows that +Fellay is sharp.  I'll concede that he may be backward on the huge revolution in social media and communications, but I don't consider that fatal.

Anyhow, +Fellay will ALWAYS be open for talks with the Vatican, he is Catholic.  However, he faces the problems and insists on solving the doctrinal problems.  Furthermore, he is convinced that Fatima is the key and that we are in the Great Apsostacy.  A great man who goes to bed with a clean conscience. 

He's not far off then.

If I were in his shoes I'd sit it out.  Comets potentially brighter than the moon, government finances in chaos and one black swan away from a massive collapse of confidence, middle east in turmoil and a very old Pope, oil running low and China rising.

The SSPX have been "out" for 30+ years.  What difference will another 4-5 years make?

You know that ionizing smell you get before a storm..... kinda "smells" the same now.
(01-02-2013, 05:42 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]Pope Paul VI:

Quote:“Today we are concluding the Second Vatican Council. [...] But one thing must be noted here, namely, that the teaching authority of the Church, even though not wishing to issue extraordinary dogmatic pronouncements, has made thoroughly known its authoritative teaching on a number of questions which today weigh upon man’s conscience and activity, descending, so to speak, into a dialogue with him, but ever preserving its own authority and force; it has spoken with the accommodating friendly voice of pastoral charity; its desire has been to be heard and understood by everyone; it has not merely concentrated on intellectual understanding but has also sought to express itself in simple, up-to-date, conversational style, derived from actual experience and a cordial approach which make it more vital, attractive and persuasive; it has spoken to modern man as he is.” (Address during the last general meeting of the Second Vatican Council, December 7, 1965; AAS 58)

This passage does not claim the Council's teaching is not authoritative.  Note the bolded phrase "has made thoroughly known its authoritative teaching on a number of questions which today weigh upon man’s conscience and activity".  This means the teaching is authoritative.
(01-02-2013, 06:14 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: A narrow boat costs about 1000 dollars for a week including all insurances.  I would like to do it as well but young kids tend to fall in so you end up supervising them the whole time and it is not much of a holiday for the parents.
  Yeah bud, no kids for that vacation.  Puttering along at 3 mph (tops) going through the pretty country side.  Wife can read or knit.  Just relaxing for a week, though you'd have to have some fun with the locks.  Then continually refilling the beer tank in your belly.  That is a good vacation, no doubt.  I'm going to have to get my wife on the plane.

Being an engineer you might want to consider Manchester and the Midlands and the canels up North.  Lot of interesting Victorian bridges, tunnels and the like up there.  Somewhere up there they even have a huge hydraulic lock that lifts your boat and tons of water up about 60 feet.  It is amazing.

Kent is pretty but essentially agricultural. 
(01-02-2013, 05:42 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: This is probably why there was a subsequent statement from the Vatican to identify this letter as a theological reflection rather than binding teaching.   I think he really meant it in the sense of universal salvific will of God, but it is open to being understood the way that you have. 
  I have no idea what his internal beliefs were, as he is dead, and can't defend himself.  As written, it is material heresy, as he restricts the term "predestination" to "union with the Father".   I do know one thing, someone who is, at best, this sloppy with theology should not be given any honors by the Church due to the grave scandal it causes the Faithful.
Predestination is not double predestination. JP said "[the] predestination to union with the Father" not "the guarantee to union with the Father". Predestination means literally "before-destination", that is, God created every man to be with Him forever, unlike what the heretic Calvin said that He created some to fry. That many, even the majority, do not make it to their pre-destination does not mean that that destination was not what they were meant for. Basically one's pre-destination is necessarily one's final destination. We were all predestined by God to go to Heaven, which is nothing other than union with Him. It's just like our Blessed Mother's final rosary promise: "Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination." This is traditional scholastic terminology. There is nothing wrong with it. The problem is the meaning is lost in translation. That's English for you.
(01-02-2013, 04:21 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2013, 12:19 PM)GodFirst Wrote: [ -> ]The video and mp3 are all garbled. So what is everyone talking about?

They are not ALL garbled.

Depending on the platform they can play garbled or perfectly clear.

Must have something to do with the Codec or something like that.
How do I get it to be clear then? Quicktime isn't doing it that's for sure.
(01-02-2013, 11:00 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]This passage does not claim the Council's teaching is not authoritative.  Note the bolded phrase "has made thoroughly known its authoritative teaching on a number of questions which today weigh upon man’s conscience and activity".  This means the teaching is authoritative.

From the FE website:
http://fisheaters.com/101.html

Quote:Authentic Magisterium:
Teaching by Pope, Bishop, or anyone with the proper authority to teach, that does not fit into the above two categories. All authorized teaching is owed proper, intelligent, prayerful religious assent, [b]but must be resisted if it leads to sin, compromises the Faith and the salvation of souls, or contradicts the above two levels of Magisterium, the Sacred Deposit of Faith, Scripture, and Tradition[/b]. [Note: some otherwise wonderful Catholics forget this category of teaching and think everything the Pope does and says is "infallible," an attitude that borders on papolatry. These Catholics are the "neo-conservatives" or "neo-Catholics" who defend the novelties since Vatican II and some of the scandalous behaviors of Bishops and the Holy Father -- e.g., Qu'ran-kissing, ecumenism that leads to indifferentism, etc. -- but while still truly trying to be orthodox.]
(01-03-2013, 03:32 AM)GodFirst Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2013, 04:21 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2013, 12:19 PM)GodFirst Wrote: [ -> ]The video and mp3 are all garbled. So what is everyone talking about?

They are not ALL garbled.

Depending on the platform they can play garbled or perfectly clear.

Must have something to do with the Codec or something like that.
How do I get it to be clear then? Quicktime isn't doing it that's for sure.

Listen using another computer or smartphone. My Wii and PC running windows 7 work fine. I pad is garbled
(01-02-2013, 11:45 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2013, 06:14 PM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]

Being an engineer you might want to consider Manchester and the Midlands and the canels up North.  Lot of interesting Victorian bridges, tunnels and the like up there.  Somewhere up there they even have a huge hydraulic lock that lifts your boat and tons of water up about 60 feet.  It is amazing.

Kent is pretty but essentially agricultural. 

or North Wales.

[Image: 882.jpg]

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, which forms a key part of the Llangollen Canal, stands majestically at the foot of the Horseshoe Pass, three miles east of Llangollen, crossing over the River Dee at the dizzy height of 126 feet.

At over 1000 feet long, Pontcysyllte is the longest and highest cast-iron aqueduct in the world. Treasured by British Waterways, it is today a protected Grade I listed building, a Welsh National Monument and is one of the seven wonders of the British Inland Waterways System. It is of course still used for its original purpose, being crossed by more than a thousand canal boats a year.

http://attractionsnorthwales.co.uk/attra...e-aqueduct
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8