FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict XVI Jesus of nazareth Holy week to resurrection book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I got the Popes Jesus books for Christmas and would like to discuss some things I see as "odd" in them here's the first:

pg 111 "Even if Jesus prophesied the destruction of the temple he still followed the Jewish festal Calendar"

So what is he saying here? That Jesus may not have prophesied about the destruction of the temple and that the Bible is wrong. How can he says this when to paraphrase Pope Leo XIII "it is heresy to question the historical narrative of sacred scripture"? ???
(12-30-2012, 10:21 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: [ -> ]So I got the Popes Jesus books for Christmas and would like to discuss some things I see as "odd" in them here's the first:

pg 111 "Even if Jesus prophesied the destruction of the temple he still followed the Jewish festal Calendar"

So what is he saying here? That Jesus may not have prophesied about the destruction of the temple and that the Bible is wrong. How can he says this when to paraphrase Pope Leo XIII "it is heresy to question the historical narrative of sacred scripture"? ???

Well with that sort of context, you have me totally convinced.

Which portion of the destruction of the Temple is he referencing? The destruction and raised up in 3 days, or the not one stone shall be left upon another?

Jesus also had no need for circumcision, but yet was circumcised. Things must have taken place during the life of Christ which were not particularly necessary. celebrating the feast days would have been like skyping with your wife when she's in the next room.

I'd like context beyond one sentence. "Even if" can have more than the meaning of "he possible didn't". It might be a colloquialism which doesn't carry, or is more academically obscure. We can't tell from just this. And even if we could, proof-texting is disingenuous to proper discussion.

I don't think he's using "if" as a hypothetical. Maybe a better translation (remember that he wrote this in German and someone else translated it) would be "Even though..."
(12-30-2012, 10:35 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2012, 10:21 PM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote: [ -> ]So I got the Popes Jesus books for Christmas and would like to discuss some things I see as "odd" in them here's the first:

Well with that sort of context, you have me totally convinced.

Which portion of the destruction of the Temple is he referencing? The destruction and raised up in 3 days, or the not one stone shall be left upon another?

Jesus also had no need for circumcision, but yet was circumcised. Things must have taken place during the life of Christ which were not particularly necessary. celebrating the feast days would have been like skyping with your wife when she's in the next room.

I'd like context beyond one sentence. "Even if" can have more than the meaning of "he possible didn't". It might be a colloquialism which doesn't carry, or is more academically obscure. We can't tell from just this. And even if we could, proof-texting is disingenuous to proper discussion.

I will look into the context and post more later. Right now I am suffering from a HUGE case of the stomach flu. I went to bed last night at 8 pm and woke up today at 4:30 pm when I can function I'll look into it .
(12-30-2012, 10:47 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think he's using "if" as a hypothetical. Maybe a better translation (remember that he wrote this in German and someone else translated it) would be "Even though..."

This does need to be taken into consideration. Translations are always a problem. Just look at what happened to the original Novus Ordo mass translation.
= even though, although

Auch wenn er dessen Ende vorhergesagt und in einer dramatischen Zeichenhandlung bekräftigt hat, ist er dem jüdischen Festkalender gefolgt, wie besonders das Johannes-Evangelium zeigt.

Even if he prophesied its demise and confirmed this with a dramatic symbolic action, he still followed the Jewish festal calendar, as is evident from John’s Gospel in particular.

http://www.zeit.de/2011/10/Papstbuch-Abendmahl/seite-2
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/features...%88supper/