FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Homosexual Marriage. Why is the Church picking this battleground ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(01-01-2013, 02:57 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I don't get why they see homo marriage as something that will change society significantly  more than other moral declines do. Heterosexuals are not going to radically change their natures nor are young people going to be especially scandalised at the idea that 1 in 100 marriages, or less are homosexual.  So many secular heterosexuals and even Catholics treat marriage like a joke and something to be jumped in and out of that I really don't see that allowing homosexuals to be legally married is going to make much of a difference to society.  Besides that horse has left the stable already I think the majority of the population support homo marriage or are indifferent to it.

I think the more serious problem is that once same-sex 'marriage' has been made legal then there will be nothing to stop the State demanding that all children be thoroughly indoctrinated with a homosexualist mentality.
(01-01-2013, 02:57 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]An optimist might rejoice that after 40 years the Bishops of Britain finally appear to have grown a pair.  But this is out of character and it makes me wonder why men who have been weaklings about Abortion, Divorce, couples living with each other before marriage, or with no intention to be married (which is very common here) appear to have drawn a line on this particular issue.  

Greg, I think you're right.  Although a good argument can be made that same sex marriage is a quantum level more grave than most of those issues (given its intrinsic disorder), the ignoring of those issues paved the way for acceptance of same sex marriage because it allowed that sex and marriage are about an individual's pleasure and psychological fulfillment.

You wonder whether there is a conspiracy, but I think the reason for focusing on this issue now (aside from the obvious fact that it is current due to political pressure), rather than the others, is much simpler:  $$.  The overwhelming majority of people are heterosexual and will be offended when those other issues are raised.  They have been known to walk out of Mass when they are addressed from the pulpit.  And their money goes with them.

Same-sex attracted people like myself are a small minority and make a safer target.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
I can't help thinking that the real killer was divorce.
Here in the US, the marketing of Enovid-E preceeded the push for "no fault divorce" which opened the flood gates. It was a bit like the old left jab, and a right hook, knocking marriage down and out for the ten count.

tim
(01-01-2013, 08:58 AM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]Same-sex attracted people like myself are a small minority and make a safer target.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

That was the first explanation that came to my mind. 
(01-01-2013, 09:07 AM)jake-the-rake Wrote: [ -> ]I can't help thinking that the real killer was divorce.

I agree.  While technically homosexual acts may be more grave sins, far more people are affected by divorce and other heterosexual sins like contraception and abortion. 
And what led to no-fault divorce? A culture in which artificial contraception was widespread. This has got to be the root I think. This is the point at which sex becomes divorced from its unitive and procreative purpose.

If the Bishops really had courage they would launch a big campaign on contraception and natural family planning... but its easier to pick on a confused minority than a rebellious majority.
The Pope is picking on a "confused minority?"

You got to be kidding me.
I hate to be the pessimist here, but couldn't this all be about getting a red hat for whathisname?  The lukewarm Bishop who got passed over last time, and may now be scrambling for some orthodox street cred?
(01-01-2013, 11:34 AM)FleetingShadow Wrote: [ -> ]And what led to no-fault divorce? A culture in which artificial contraception was widespread. This has got to be the root I think. This is the point at which sex becomes divorced from its unitive and procreative purpose.
I think that divorce and contraception are so closely linked that we can't really say that one has caused the other.  It is more like a vicious circle.  Divorce leads to contraception leads to divorce etc.  They both need to be more clearly understood as serious sins. I think that going after these sins would automatically counter homosexual marriage.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5