FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What non-Roman rite liturgies have you been to?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
It is one of my personal goals to attend mass (or Divine Liturgy for the East) celebrated according to every liturgical rite of the Church. I am curious as to what different rites everyone has experienced beyond the regular roman rite( TLM and NO).

I will start. I have been to:

Dominican rite Missa Cantata
Traditional Cistercian rite mass (which I served at)
Anglican use mass (really part if the roman rite but different enough that I count it)
Melkite DL
Maronite DL
Ruthenian Catholic DL
Ukrainian Catholic DL
Syro-Malabar DL

I will say that of all these the one that seemed the most foreign to me was the Syro-Malabar rite. The fact that it was in a language I was completely unfamiliar didn't help (there was nothing in English to follow the mass with) but it was also very different in general. The priests (2 of them) wore copes as their vestments. I think the rite was been influenced by the NO, because it was offered versus populism, which I don't think is traditional.
The only other ones I've been to are the Byzantine rite, and the Ukrainian.  They both remind me of lace, for how delicate they are, because of all the singing.  Nice memories.
(01-07-2013, 02:31 AM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: [ -> ]The only other ones I've been to are the Byzantine rite, and the Ukrainian.  They both remind me of lace, for how delicate they are, because of all the singing.  Nice memories.

Which Byzantine Rite? There are fourteen Byzantine Rite Catholic Churches (including the Ukrainians). :) You probably mean Ruthenian Rite, since in the US, they simply call themselves Byzantine Rite Catholics.

As for me, Benedictine Rite, Ukrainian Rite and Ruthenian Rite.
Only Syro-malankara, one time. There are other options in the diocese, but at this point in the game we're working on uniformity and stability, for the kids. Although, we may swing over for an Anglican Use Mass just to see how that is.
(01-07-2013, 09:57 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]Only Syro-malankara, one time. There are other options in the diocese, but at this point in the game we're working on uniformity and stability, for the kids. Although, we may swing over for an Anglican Use Mass just to see how that is.

I have been meaning to go a Syro-malankara liturgy but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been trying to find the text of their liturgy in English so I have the slightest idea what's going on.

As for the Anglican use I often go there for daily mass (8 min round trip versus hour round trip at incovenient time for the TLM and I know the staff at the AU parish well). The masses are oferred exclusively ad oreintem, communion is on the tongue kneeling (by intinction). The actually rite is somewhat strange it's kind if like if someone took the NO, TLM, eastern liturgies and the Book of common prayer and mixed the together. They always use the roman canon which is nice. I actually went to a Solemn High Mass at the Anglican use yesterday Nd the ceremonial very similar to that of the TLM. There are also the traditional ablutions with wine and water after communion.
I don't know if this fits, but I went to a Serbian Orthodox Marriage. It's a Liturgy where they crown the bride and groom. Sensory overload.

tim
I went to a Ukaranian Catholic Mass recently. That's the only non-Roman Mass I have ever attended. I liked it. Tons and tons of singing. I plan to go there if I can't make it to a TLM in the future. I had planned to do this for a long time but didn't go because I was unfamiliar with the traditions.
Byzantine Rite DL - Ukrainian - Catholic - Julian Calendar
Byzantine Rite DL - Ukrainian - Catholic - Gregorian Calendar
Byzantine Rite DL - Russian - Catholic - Gregorian Calendar
Byzantine Rite DL - Russian - Orthodox - Julian Calendar
Byzantine Rite Vespers - Russian - Catholic - Gregorian Calendar

Dominican Rite Solemn High Mass

Dominican NO Vespers, Dominican NO Compline

Excluded by the question: TLM, Traditional Vespers, Traditional Matins/Lauds, NO, NO vespers, NO lauds

Would like to see: Syro-Malabar, Syro-Malankara, Ge'ez, Coptic, Melkite
(01-07-2013, 10:19 AM)DoktorDespot Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2013, 09:57 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]Only Syro-malankara, one time. There are other options in the diocese, but at this point in the game we're working on uniformity and stability, for the kids. Although, we may swing over for an Anglican Use Mass just to see how that is.

I have been meaning to go a Syro-malankara liturgy but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been trying to find the text of their liturgy in English so I have the slightest idea what's going on.

As for the Anglican use I often go there for daily mass (8 min round trip versus hour round trip at incovenient time for the TLM and I know the staff at the AU parish well). The masses are oferred exclusively ad oreintem, communion is on the tongue kneeling (by intinction). The actually rite is somewhat strange it's kind if like if someone took the NO, TLM, eastern liturgies and the Book of common prayer and mixed the together. They always use the roman canon which is nice. I actually went to a Solemn High Mass at the Anglican use yesterday Nd the ceremonial very similar to that of the TLM. There are also the traditional ablutions with wine and water after communion.

Is that Our Lady of the Atonement, by chance?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7