FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Forget about quality, get as many people possible to say there catholic.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a friend who is an average NO catholic. Though I have been enlightening him on catholic music.  He still thinks we should allow rock music at mass because some people won't go to mass at all if not for the music. I know the churches teaches that not only does it not want Luke warm people, but that these are wolves among the sheep who need to be driven out. Could you please provide me with quotes from saints and popes.
Well...

"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold, nor hot. I would thou wert cold, or hot. But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, not hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth." - Apocalypse 3:15-16
I was fixing to reply with possibly a different idea/perspective than you -might- be approaching this situation from...
Then I realized it seemed likw you wanted quotes and references to use in your...debate
Doggone mobile! The last part was sorry cause I can't help...still new to this, but God Bless and good luck!
A bigger problem is thinking that mass attendance should be influenced by music.  Until your friend can be convinced to go to mass for God, he's not going to go with any real purpose, even if he likes the music.

(01-08-2013, 12:55 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]A bigger problem is thinking that mass attendance should be influenced by music.  Until your friend can be convinced to go to mass for God, he's not going to go with any real purpose, even if he likes the music.

He personally does not go to mass just for the music, he prays thrrosary daily and will sometimes go to the tlm with me. I showed him various documents on sacred music and he agrees that chant is best for mass, and he would like all the churches to use chant. However he also says he thinks a quick change to chant could be confusing and make people want to leave. He also does not understand why it's bad to have rock music at mass if it gets people to come that normally won't. And just to put things in perspective  my friend and I are in college.
Maybe suggest that could be done as Catholic Community Activities on a day other than the Sabbath.
There is no denying extra activities can encourage people to look into the Church more, especially if they are already intrigued.
Perhaps mention for many the "draw" of the Catholic Church and Mass being so holy and reverent. We (converts like me) crave that reverence and peace and holiness in worship at Mass! Rock music or folk music isn't why people cone home to the Church. It just isn't.
I can find christian rock or gospel sings anywhere, anytime. But the Mass ...holy, reverent, peaceful... Christ present, Christ with me Christ in me... that's only within the Catholic Church Mass!
It would be like taking McDonald's to a 5
To a 5 star resturant because a lot of people might come for the McDonald's! UUUGH!
Sorry for the ramble. Just my humble convert thoughts. PBWY, ~n
(01-08-2013, 12:55 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]A bigger problem is thinking that mass attendance should be influenced by music.  Until your friend can be convinced to go to mass for God, he's not going to go with any real purpose, even if he likes the music.

This is not a traditional approach.  Yes, it is horrible to use a rock band at mass to attract people as it's not appropriate for the sacrifice, but the Church has always been happy to take people in or encourage people to attend mass who didn't completely get it.

The principal of getting people to initially walk through a door for mass for a reason other than God isn't a bad one. I have heard of people converting after listening to some of the great Mass arrangements.  The mass is there to help us accept the grace of God not as a reward for those that already have.  If you had a trad chapel creating an amazing orchestra to get non-Catholics attend that wouldn't be bad. That would be good.

One of the reasons that Catholic missionaries were so much more successful than Protestant missionaries was that Protestants wouldn't admit natives to their Churches until they completely understood Protestant theology and approaches to scripture.  Catholic missionaries didn't have that expectation.  They would just explain the basics of the faith, teach them the rosary, and baptize them.  We shouldn't be treating the mass as if it is there for the elect and it's pointless to encourage anyone to attend unless we are sure they have received the grace of God. 
(01-08-2013, 02:01 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]

This is not a traditional approach.  Yes, it is horrible to use a rock band at mass to attract people as it's not appropriate for the sacrifice, but the Church has always been happy to take people in or encourage people to attend mass who didn't completely get it.

The principal of getting people to initially walk through a door for mass for a reason other than God isn't a bad one. I have heard of people converting after listening to some of the great Mass arrangements.  The mass is there to help us accept the grace of God not as a reward for those that already have.  If you had a trad chapel creating an amazing orchestra to get non-Catholics attend that wouldn't be bad. That would be good.

One of the reasons that Catholic missionaries were so much more successful than Protestant missionaries was that Protestants wouldn't admit natives to their Churches until they completely understood Protestant theology and approaches to scripture.  Catholic missionaries didn't have that expectation.  They would just explain the basics of the faith, teach them the rosary, and baptize them.  We shouldn't be treating the mass as if it is there for the elect and it's pointless to encourage anyone to attend unless we are sure they have received the grace of God. 

The principle, you mean!

Yes, that's all fine.  Don't disagree at all.  If you re-read my brief post, you'll notice I didn't demand any theological understanding for mass attendees.  I made the comment that a person going to mass for a reason not having to do with God (ie, going for one's self-- in case that wasn't clear) won't be going for long.  That's all.
Pages: 1 2 3