FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bp Williamson video on women in choirs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Bp Williamson explains why women should not singin a church choir.
A few good points mixed in with a bunch of non-sense. "Our modern world has everything being run by women." There were a few levels of demeaning here. "Cute-nippled lady pilotess." :O Did I hear correct?!

The world's being taken over by women! Run!!! And don't get lustful while you're running!

[Image: g20-family_2253549b.jpg]

[Image: usccb.jpg]

[Image: Bush+Meets+Members+National+Governors+As...WCeHul.jpg]

Almost the supreme court!

[Image: supreme_court_justices_2012.jpg]
My brother coined a phrase for this way back there, he called them the members of the Vienese Women Haters Club, making an allusion to Hitler's queerness.

tim
Chicks.  Can't live with 'em.  Can't live without 'em.

I actually agree that it's best for women not to sing for Mass, but I'm not absolutist about it.  On the schola, I'm absolutist, though (unless it's a convent chapel).

I've watched about a third of the video.  I'm really enjoying it.  It's worth watching for the great southern accent Bishop Williamson does at about the 4 minute mark.

At one point, Bishop Williamson pounds the podium while declaring that women cannot be competent pilots, knocking things to the floor.  Oops!

I'm home with the flu, so mild entertainment is helpful.
For the most part if it wasn't for women most Masses would be low Masses without any singing. Necessity knows no law.

Just another of the many eccentricities of Bp. Williamson. Anything to fan the flames and make traditional-minded Catholics look like kooks! I really wish he would just stick to administering the sacraments.
(01-09-2013, 01:58 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]For the most part if it wasn't for women most Masses would be low Masses without any singing.

You're right, but to be fair, this is something that Pope St. Pius X taught as pope.  Not so kooky.
(01-09-2013, 02:02 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2013, 01:58 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]For the most part if it wasn't for women most Masses would be low Masses without any singing.

You're right, but to be fair, this is something that Pope St. Pius X taught as pope.  Not so kooky.

However, the congregation was to participate in the chant, which includes women.

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/200...chant.html
http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/200...stion.html
Do you think he has some valid points?
(01-09-2013, 02:02 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: [ -> ]

I do think what Bp. Williamson is talking about is kooky. Popes subsequent to St. Pius X have tolerated and encouraged women to sing in parish choirs. Remember, no pope can bind his successors... even if he is a saint.
(01-09-2013, 04:28 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]I do think what Bp. Williamson is talking about is kooky. Popes subsequent to St. Pius X have tolerated and encouraged women to sing in parish choirs. Remember, no pope can bind his successors... even if he is a saint.

We're talking about kookiness, not bindingness.

It's a neocon or neo-Catholic attitude to devalue past teachings based simply on more recent practices or statements.  Legal positivism is a major aspect of neo-Catholicism.  Rather than address the inherent truth of a teaching, neo-Catholics appeal to the most recent authority.  Authority is the chief value and focus of neo-Catholics.  It keeps their heads from exploding.

I brought up Pope St. Pius X not to make an argument from authority myself, but to show that the teaching is not inherently kooky. 
Pages: 1 2