FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is the SSPX a 501(c) Chruch?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know under Communism it was impossible for ordinary Russians to attend mass because all of the churches were government run. Does anyone know if the SSPX is a 501© tax exempt status church?

If it is, shouldn't someone bring this up to the authorities there?
(01-13-2013, 07:35 PM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]I know under Communism it was impossible for ordinary Russians to attend mass because all of the churches were government run. Does anyone know if the SSPX is a 501© tax exempt status church?

If it is, shouldn't someone bring this up to the authorities there?

What does the American tax code have to do with Russia?  ??? ??? ???

And why would you want to bring anything like that to the attention of authorities even if the US tax code were relevant somehow? Huh?
(01-13-2013, 07:35 PM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]I know under Communism it was impossible for ordinary Russians to attend mass because all of the churches were government run.
Being tax-exempt doesn't necessarily mean government-run.
(01-13-2013, 07:35 PM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if the SSPX is a 501© tax exempt status church?
I'm pretty sure the IRS recognizes the U.S. SSPX district as a 501©(3) non-profit (just like all the mainstream Catholic churches). Their donation page says: "NB: per the IRS code, contributions to the USA District are recognized as tax deductible."
(01-13-2013, 07:35 PM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]If it is, shouldn't someone bring this up to the authorities there?
What authorities?
One of the benefits of freedom of religion in the United States is that the government does not intervene in religous matters. What authorities? What would you expect them to do?
Well, our chapel isn't covered under it for some reason from what I'd read. We pay quite a few taxes apparently in our parish .  . .  :(
(01-14-2013, 12:55 AM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]Well, our chapel isn't covered under it for some reason from what I'd read. We pay quite a few taxes apparently in our parish .  . .  :(

Church property does not become automatically tax exempt. It has to have some purpose which is tax exempt.

So, a building which is used for administration could pay taxes on their property, however, if that same building also offered public mass or ran a school, it would not.
As far as I'm aware, the building is used for Sunday Catechism classes, offering Holy Mass, and our parish's Church bookstore. Regarding ''administration'', I cannot say.
(01-14-2013, 01:02 AM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I'm aware, the building is used for Sunday Catechism classes, offering Holy Mass, and our parish's Church bookstore. Regarding ''administration'', I cannot say.

I only meant to express that religious property can be taxed.

Also, administration does not exclude. Land used for that can be tax exempt too.

I am not a tax code lawyer and I do not know specifics. I just know a particular circumstance which happen which touched on this issue.

Is your chapel in an "odd" situation of any kind?

Also, exemption must be applied for.

(01-14-2013, 01:13 AM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2013, 01:02 AM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I'm aware, the building is used for Sunday Catechism classes, offering Holy Mass, and our parish's Church bookstore. Regarding ''administration'', I cannot say.

I only meant to express that religious property can be taxed.

Also, administration does not exclude. Land used for that can be tax exempt too.
Ah, okay. :)

Quote:I am not a tax code lawyer and I do not know specifics. I just know a particular circumstance which happen which touched on this issue.
Somehow, I surmised that you were not.

Quote:Is your chapel in an "odd" situation of any kind?
We might or might not be. I'd have to ask Father sometime.
Quote:Also, exemption must be applied for.
It seems logical enough. :tiphat:
Pages: 1 2