FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Saint Anthony of Padua Real Preacher of tongues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I have read a lot about the Charismatic movement which advocates the speaking of tongues. Yet many times when someone claims that he was speaking in tongues, all that other people hear are just sounds that no one really knows what is being said.

Yet as I have read more about the life of saint Anthony I have noticed that he himself spoke in tongues, the difference is that his listeners actually understood what he was saying.

I am currently reading a book called Saint Anthony The Wonder Worker of Padua

In it is says in chapter 12 " Anthony The Father Of mystic Theology"

" While in Italy he preached in Italian; yet all the knowledge  he possessed  of that mellifluous tongue he got from his brief intercourse with the six six illiterate lay-brothers at the hospice in the solitude of Monte Paolo. While in France he preached in French, though he had never studied the language."

"Saint Anthony of Padua one of the chosen disciples and companions of Saint Francis, once preached in the Consistory before the Pope and his Cardinals; in which Consistory there were men of diverse nations- namely, Greeks, Latins, Slavs, and English and men speaking other diverse tongues. Fired by the  Holy Ghost, so efficaciously, so devoutly, so subtly, so sweet, so clearly, and so plainly did Anthony set forth the word of God, that all they which were  present at the Consistory, of whatever diverse tongues they were, clearly understood all his words distinctly, even as he had spoken in the languages of each man amongst them. And they were struck with amaze; and it seemed that the ancient miracle of the Apostles had been renewed, when at the time of the Pentecost they spoke  by the virtue of the Holy Ghost in every tongue. And they said one to another, with admiration and awe: Z:' Is not he who preaches come out of Spain? And how do we hear in in his discourse every man of us the speech of his own land?' "

This seems to differ from others claiming to speak in tongues. Others have spoken in phrases that others do not understand, while when Saint Anthony did this, others clearly understood what he was saying.
Yes, this beautiful story is also included in the Fioretti, the Little Flowers of St Francis.

At another time, St Anthony preached to and was understood by the fishes, in a miracle that converted the whole town of Rimini.

He is one of my favorite saints.
Divine providence speaks.  In the last couple of days I have been trying to convince some charismatics in another forum that when the Apostles spoke in tongues they were actually speaking in diverse languages and those they spoke to understood.  Not the mumbo jumbo that some think "speaking in tongues" means these days.  I will be relaying what both of you said to the folks in the other forum, possibly word for word if you don't mind.  Thanks guys.
(01-16-2013, 01:53 AM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]Divine providence speaks.  In the last couple of days I have been trying to convince some charismatics in another forum that when the Apostles spoke in tongues they were actually speaking in diverse languages and those they spoke to understood.  Not the mumbo jumbo that some think "speaking in tongues" means these days.  I will be relaying what both of you said to the folks in the other forum, possibly word for word if you don't mind.  Thanks guys.

Link? You can PM if you wish.

(01-16-2013, 02:30 AM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2013, 01:53 AM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]Divine providence speaks.  In the last couple of days I have been trying to convince some charismatics in another forum that when the Apostles spoke in tongues they were actually speaking in diverse languages and those they spoke to understood.  Not the mumbo jumbo that some think "speaking in tongues" means these days.  I will be relaying what both of you said to the folks in the other forum, possibly word for word if you don't mind.  Thanks guys.

Link? You can PM if you wish.

Well I have found these links

http://www.miraclesofthesaints.com/2010/...-gift.html- Blog The gift of Tongues
http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/FLOWERS.HTM - The book Little flowers of Saint Francis
Looking for link to MikeMac's discussion specifically, but thank you.
(01-16-2013, 05:01 PM)SMKMI Wrote: [ -> ]Looking for link to MikeMac's discussion specifically, but thank you.

It's in the forum at the Catholic Match dating site SMKMI.  You have to be single and pay $30 a month to post there.  I doubt if you want to do that and I'm starting to wonder why I do, seeing lately I mostly just post in the forum there.  LOL

You should be able to view the thread here though.
http://www.catholicmatch.com/forums/topi..._id=186203

I see there are no new replies today to my last post yesterday in the thread, but I'm still going to post what ArturoOrtiz and Servus Immaculatae had to say, just to make the point crystal clear.

Oh I forgot to ask, would you like me to give you two guys credit for it ArturoOrtiz and Servus Immaculatae?  They should appreciate your contribution.
(01-16-2013, 06:02 PM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]I see there are no new replies today to my last post yesterday in the thread, but I'm still going to post what ArturoOrtiz and Servus Immaculatae had to say, just to make the point crystal clear.

If you really want to be crystal clear, you could post what Scripture actually says about the Apostles speaking "in tongues."

Acts 2, 4-11 Wrote:And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they began to speak with divers tongues, according as the Holy Ghost gave them to speak.

Now there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. And when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded in mind, because that every man heard them speak in his own tongue.

And they were all amazed, and wondered, saying: "Behold, are not all these that speak Galilean? And how have we heard, every man our own tongue wherein we were born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and inhabitants of Mesopotamia, Judea, and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews also, and proselytes, Cretes, and Arabians: we have heard them speak in our own tongues the wonderful works of God."

Clearly "speaking in tongues" references a supernatural understanding of a foreign language without having studied it; not what the "charismatics" call speaking in tongues which is shouting jibberish.
Yep, that was my last post yesterday Servus Immaculatae.  The one that got no replies.  Actually I posted Acts 2: 4-12, but verse 12 doesn't add much other than saying "they were all astonished, and wondered".  I also bolded the word tongues everywhere in those verses and suggested that they replace it with the word languages.  Then I told them "In the times of the Apostles Pentecost or "the Fiftieth day" was a prominent feast in the calendar of ancient Israel celebrating the giving of the Law on Sinai wherein Israelites "out of every nation under heaven", that spoke different languages gathered in Jerusalem."  Then I said "My aunt, who was over 90 years of age at the time and was a charismatic told me that "speaking in tongues" came into the Catholic Church in 1967 through members of the Pentecostal church."

But yesterday I had to finish with this because someone earlier in the thread had suggested it, "That all said, nobody is saying that charismatics are not part of the Catholic Church."

I also learned from that thread that some charismatics attend the TLM. 
(01-16-2013, 07:03 PM)mikemac Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, that was my last post yesterday Servus Immaculatae.  The one that got no replies.  Actually I posted Acts 2: 4-12, but verse 12 doesn't add much other than saying "they were all astonished, and wondered".  I also bolded the word tongues everywhere in those verses and suggested that they replace it with the word languages.  Then I told them "In the times of the Apostles Pentecost or "the Fiftieth day" was a prominent feast in the calendar of ancient Israel celebrating the giving of the Law on Sinai wherein Israelites "out of every nation under heaven", that spoke different languages gathered in Jerusalem."  Then I said "My aunt, who was over 90 years of age at the time and was a charismatic told me that "speaking in tongues" came into the Catholic Church in 1967 through members of the Pentecostal church."

But yesterday I had to finish with this because someone earlier in the thread had suggested it, "That all said, nobody is saying that charismatics are not part of the Catholic Church."

I also learned from that thread that some charismatics attend the TLM. 

Sometimes people don't reply to questions they know the other person knows the answer. Smile

As far as Charismatics being part of the Catholic church, this is true. I think that my grandma was one.

It is not about telling Charismatics that they are not Catholic, or not Catholic enough, but rather it is about informing them about the truth.
Pages: 1 2