FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: An occasion of sin or just a good night out?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I had a productive trip to NYC and sold a couple of contracts worth at least 100k to me.  Flying home tomorrow evening.  The global head of consulting sales for a big six player took me for a steak dinner at a Romanian Jewish place in the East village or thereabouts.  sh**ty decor but  Steak was nice and large, we had one side of vegetables to share and what I think was 750ml of vodka.  I could not see the volume because it was frozen in a cuboid of ice but we finished it.  Restaurant was 3/4 full and the Jewish guy playing the keyboard was funny as heck.  Meal was 213 dollars  Eye-roll  I left 240 including tip.  Crazy but that is New York.  Was a good steak though.  Vodka was 99 bucks a bottle.

Anyway, I gave the keyboard player a choice of three Sinatra songs so he could chose the one he knew best and I end up singing Night and Day with him accompanying me.  My client was very entertained and the entire restaurant applauded and asked me to sing another song, so it was a pretty fun evening, and given the business I will get from this guy well worth an overpriced dinner.  I got back to the hotel at 10pm and could not sleep, so at midnight I went to a bar on the corner for what must be one of the first times in my life and popped out five more Sinatra tunes until 3am while I slowly drank 3 half pints of Guinness.  Unlike the restaurant it was actually a Karaoke bar this time or at least a normal bar with Karaoke equipment.  At 2.45am the bar was emptying and I sang, "On for my baby and one more for the road" , yep at the perfect time, and the Scottish barman gave me a drink on the house.  Never had that before anywhere in the world. 

Best night I have had in a LONG time despite the fact I was by myself.

Must have been on 100 business trips in my life and I have never gone out and enjoyed myself alone like this before, partly, because one tries to avoid occasions of sin and imagines the bars are full of floozies.  But tonight I can say hand on heart there were no occasions.  Just a lot of friendly New Yorkers having a drink.

Made me wonder whether we strike the right balance with this stuff sometimes.  Occasions of sin can be in your hotel room as much as in bar.

A Scotsman gave something away for free?? The Apocalypse is nigh.
He had worked at the bar for 4 years, karaoke six nights per week and nobody had ever sang that song.
(01-16-2013, 06:00 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]Must have been on 100 business trips in my life and I have never gone out and enjoyed myself alone like this before, partly, because one tries to avoid occasions of sin and imagines the bars are full of floozies.  But tonight I can say hand on heart there were no occasions.  Just a lot of friendly New Yorkers having a drink.

It does not look like a proximate occasion of sin, which one has a duty to avoid.

Quote:Made me wonder whether we strike the right balance with this stuff sometimes.  Occasions of sin can be in your hotel room as much as in bar.
There is no balance of morality, only being closer to perfection. It would have been good to forgo such revelry and to have used the time for contemplation and prayer. However, it was not an obligation.

The old school Japanese have a strong going-out culture, but they don't usually get into fights or end up with strange women.

I think it's because it's almost purely a lads thing for them. Complete opposite of modern Britain.

Nice video, must have been fun.
That sounds like the exception. Then you have the rule...

I don't think it's worth contemplating more than that. It's like those Catholics who marry heretics thinking that the heretic will be like so and so's husband who converted.
The Guiness was just an early breakfast.  Yum!  Grin

Contemplation?  At 2am and after half a bottle of vodka?  Perhaps . . . but only if you have the alcohol tolerance of an elephant!  Come on!  Ggreg, were you drunk or just buzzed?  Were you tempted by NY's pretty ladies?  If not, then you just had a nice evening out.  I wouldn't do it often or really plan something like it because it is a slippery slope but you are fine.  Also, imagine if your wife called and found you in a bar.  She might have some serious doubts and I am sure you don't want to stress her out like that.

BTW Congrats on the business.  Sounds like a good night's work.
Just a lot of friendly New Yorkers having a drink.

A fun night out! I want to go! SmileSeriously, I wouldn't overthink it.

Sounds like a blast to me if you weren't trashed or picking up women -- er, broads, to stick with the Sinatra theme -- or vulnerable to getting picked up by broads. GREAT song choice at that last bar! (Tony Bennett has a Frank tribute album and that's on there, BTW Sticking tongue out at you )
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13