FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pursuit of Holiness on the Internet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of pursuit of holiness among intenet trads, but it does not show up very much in our discussions.  I would really like that to change.  My ideal forum is one where people encourage each other to grow in holiness.  Do you have ideas about how we could do that?
(01-18-2013, 09:02 AM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of pursuit of holiness among intenet trads, but it does not show up very much in our discussions.  I would really like that to change.  My ideal forum is one where people encourage each other to grow in holiness.  Do you have ideas about how we could do that?

One could have joined St. Francis Forums: http://gaudeamus-hodie.com/

Alas, few did, and there was not much discussion. Such is the spiritual life.
(01-18-2013, 09:02 AM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of pursuit of holiness among intenet trads, but it does not show up very much in our discussions.  I would really like that to change.  My ideal forum is one where people encourage each other to grow in holiness.  Do you have ideas about how we could do that?

Why not set up your own forum and encourage people pursuing holiness to join it?

That should work.  Plus there is nothing like a little free market competition.
(01-18-2013, 09:45 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]

Why not set up your own forum and encourage people pursuing holiness to join it?

That should work.  Plus there is nothing like a little free market competition.

Presumably most of the people here are pursuing holiness.  We just aren't giving as much support to each other as we could.

There are many reasons why I would not want to set up a forum but going into them would go off the topic of this thread.
(01-18-2013, 09:52 AM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Presumably most of the people here are pursuing holiness.  We just aren't giving as much support to each other as we could.

The human reaction to such support is usually resistance.

The human mind is what original sin has made it, and it is very focused on self assurance, rather than any sort of repentance or reform.

Try to make education, and pursuit of holiness one's primary motivation for posting. It will get quite a lot of opposition.
Well one of the obvious problems is that the only way we interact here with people is the written word. Plus the occasional video from Erin or Walty. How would you distinguish between the people who were pursuing holiness and the people who thought they were and those who thought they'd pretty much already attained it barring the odd slip up.

How would you distinguish between the brutally honest people who say everything truthfully and those with weasel words and phrases who rarely express an honest thought?

In the real world we can see people's actions and demeanour as well.  We can judge them by their longevity and perseverance as well as their zeal right now.

This is something I struggle with as well, which is why I don't really post with much regularity. Sure I dive right in to discussing whatever's on the board, the sacred and the profane. But, within a couple weeks I grow weary of all the quibbling and decide I could better spend my time praying a few more Rosaries, so I stop posting for a few weeks. Eventually I come back, and the same cycle begins again.

I would say the first thing is to ignore unnecessary distractions when possible. For example, when there are three threads running at the same time about how the Masons have allegedly infiltrated the KofC, one of which said threads is actually a discussion of Dignitatis humanae, not Masonry nor the KofC.

I also try to drop out of conversations once it just turns into nothing more than a fight.

There's nothing wrong with having some fun and discussing things like whether Southerners are friendlier, whether Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra is a better singer, etc. And there's nothing wrong with being informed about what our priests and bishops are doing. But, anyone who thinks the Church will be healed by their talking **** about our Prelates on an internet forum is grossly mistaken. Christ is the one who will heal His Church, not man. Our primary purpose is to grow in faith, hope, and charity, pray and do acts of penance so that we get to Heaven and brings as many souls with us as possible.

If you want discussion on more spiritual topics, go ahead and start threads on the spiritual life. I think it's a great idea.
(01-18-2013, 10:02 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]Well one of the obvious problems is that the only way we interact here with people is the written word. Plus the occasional video from Erin or Walty. How would you distinguish between the people who were pursuing holiness and the people who thought they were and those who thought they'd pretty much already attained it barring the odd slip up.

How would you distinguish between the brutally honest people who say everything truthfully and those with weasel words and phrases who rarely express an honest thought?

In the real world we can see people's actions and demeanour as well.  We can judge them by their longevity and perseverance as well as their zeal right now.

I'm not sure why you think judging other people's level of holiness has anything to do with pursuing holiness or encouraging each other to holiness.
(01-18-2013, 10:52 AM)Servus Immaculatae Wrote: [ -> ]I would say the first thing is to ignore unnecessary distractions when possible. For example, when there are three threads running at the same time about how the Masons have allegedly infiltrated the KofC, one of which said threads is actually a discussion of Dignitatis humanae, not Masonry nor the KofC.

I also try to drop out of conversations once it just turns into nothing more than a fight.

Yes, I think it helps to have some idea of the sort of discussions we want to avoid.

(01-18-2013, 10:52 AM)Servus Immaculatae Wrote: [ -> ]There's nothing wrong with having some fun and discussing things like whether Southerners are friendlier, whether Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra is a better singer, etc. And there's nothing wrong with being informed about what our priests and bishops are doing. But, anyone who thinks the Church will be healed by their talking **** about our Prelates on an internet forum is grossly mistaken. Christ is the one who will heal His Church, not man. Our primary purpose is to grow in faith, hope, and charity, pray and do acts of penance so that we get to Heaven and brings as many souls with us as possible.

I agree that it is good to talk about various topics and to have fun together. I like how you put it into perspective by stating our primary purpose.

(01-18-2013, 10:52 AM)Servus Immaculatae Wrote: [ -> ]If you want discussion on more spiritual topics, go ahead and start threads on the spiritual life. I think it's a great idea.

Some of my favourite threads have been those on spiritual topics and other people mention this too.  And yet, they seem to be relatively rare.

I came across another little place, Saints' Books, that is largely focused on the spiritual life but it has just a small core group too. Those places are quiet and just don't have the drama that keeps people addicted. As good as an owner's intentions may be, the stats prove it over and over again that forums thrive on drama.

Honestly I've come to realize that those who are seeking to increase in holiness are out there doing, not saying. That's not to say no one online is growing in holiness or that their words are all false but those of us online are largely in beginner and in between stages of holiness. Once people are further advanced they tend to put away such things. Not that such things are bad, they just outgrow them. So those of us left tend to be the blind leading the blind and for all the best intentions that always results in an overall atmosphere of confusion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4