FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How you ever watched a movie from the '60's and......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
a scene of a Catholic church stirs your imagination about what was to come because of VII and before the implementation of Novus Ordo? I was watching "Bullitt" the other night for the umpteenth time (one of my all time favs), and after thinking about the distant landscape shots across the San Francisco bay (and in the car chase scene) that were devoid of the urban sprawl we see today there, my thoughts turned to the Church after the scene with Robert Vaughn serving a writ to Bullitt's boss in front of the church while the police chief's family are waiting a short distance away to go inside for Sunday Mass. Everyone was dressed in their best, there was still some sense of civility in that city, etc. I couldn't help but think about the storm that was soon to come. The film was from 1968, and it visually showed, through cinema, the times were a changin', and would get much worse.

How about you? What are some films that make a clear connection with a church scene that things were already going downhill? Another I remember post Novus Ordo is in Eastwood's "The Enforcer" where he chases down the bomb suspect into the church and you can see the "Peace" banners around the sanctuary and the clear signs that the church had been ruined.
(01-18-2013, 12:15 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: [ -> ]a scene of a Catholic church stirs your imagination about what was to come because of VII and before the implementation of Novus Ordo? I was watching "Bullitt" the other night for the umpteenth time (one of my all time favs), and after thinking about the distant landscape shots across the San Francisco bay (and in the car chase scene) that were devoid of the urban sprawl we see today there, my thoughts turned to the Church after the scene with Robert Vaughn serving a writ to Bullitt's boss in front of the church while the police chief's family are waiting a short distance away to go inside for Sunday Mass. Everyone was dressed in their best, there was still some sense of civility in that city, etc. I couldn't help but think about the storm that was soon to come. The film was from 1968, and it visually showed, through cinema, the times were a changin', and would get much worse.

How about you? What are some films that make a clear connection with a church scene that things were already going downhill? Another I remember post Novus Ordo is in Eastwood's "The Enforcer" where he chases down the bomb suspect into the church and you can see the "Peace" banners around the sanctuary and the clear signs that the church had been ruined.
This is slightly off topic since you are asking about scenes showing things going downhill, but I remember the scene from one of the Godfather films where the boy receives his First Holy Communion. I was new to the faith at that time and had just begun to become aware of Traditional Catholicism and so that scene definitely struck me. From what I remember, the film seemed to portray things authentically, including the priest using the proper formula for distributing Holy Communion. I believe this was the 40's...?
(01-18-2013, 12:15 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: [ -> ]a scene of a Catholic church stirs your imagination about what was to come because of VII and before the implementation of Novus Ordo? I was watching "Bullitt" the other night for the umpteenth time (one of my all time favs), and after thinking about the distant landscape shots across the San Francisco bay (and in the car chase scene) that were devoid of the urban sprawl we see today there, my thoughts turned to the Church after the scene with Robert Vaughn serving a writ to Bullitt's boss in front of the church while the police chief's family are waiting a short distance away to go inside for Sunday Mass. Everyone was dressed in their best, there was still some sense of civility in that city, etc. I couldn't help but think about the storm that was soon to come. The film was from 1968, and it visually showed, through cinema, the times were a changin', and would get much worse.

There was a scene in an Elvis Presley movie called Change of Habit that shows how bad things were getting.

Also, the scene in the film Lilies of the Field (1963) which showed a group of nuns along with Sidney Poitier singing the old Protestant ditty, "Amen" could be seen in retrospect as a harbinger of the ecumenism that was to come.

Quote:This is slightly off topic since you are asking about scenes showing things going downhill, but I remember the scene from one of the Godfather films where the boy receives his First Holy Communion. I was new to the faith at that time and had just begun to become aware of Traditional Catholicism and so that scene definitely struck me. From what I remember, the film seemed to portray things authentically, including the priest using the proper formula for distributing Holy Communion. I believe this was the 40's...?

That scene you're speaking of was set in the 1950's. It was from Godfather II.

CrusaderKing, thanks (I think Grin) for the Elvis link. Ugh! Doh! That made me want to hurl...
I have always liked the Baptism/Murder scene from The Godfather.

How about you? What are some films that make a clear connection with a church scene that things were already going downhill? Another I remember post Novus Ordo is in Eastwood's "The Enforcer" where he chases down
the bomb suspect into the church and you can see the "Peace" banners around the sanctuary and the clear signs that the church had been ruined.

Brings to mind some films from the 40's, as Going My Way.  A perhaps too happy movie, but reflective of priestly wear in or out of the sanctuary.

This movie is a major harbinger of what was to come in the next decade after it came out (1959).
(01-18-2013, 12:15 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: [ -> ]...my thoughts turned to the Church after the scene with Robert Vaughn serving a writ to Bullitt's boss in front of the church while the police chief's family are waiting a short distance away to go inside for Sunday Mass. Everyone was dressed in their best, there was still some sense of civility in that city, etc.

It should be noted that the church in that scene is a Protestant facility, the Episcopal "cathedral."  The point still stands somewhat, but that shows deeper cultural trends of change at work at the time, not just in the Church.
This is the scene from Lilies of the Field that I referred to. Great film by the way, and Sidney Poitier won the Oscar for Best Actor for his performance.

Growing up, my dad said the Godfather films were virulently anti-Catholic and forbid anyone in the family to see them.  My sister got a music box one year for her birthday that played the Godfather theme and he went through the roof.

Watching that clip, I understand now where dad was coming from.  Wow. 
Pages: 1 2